The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I can feel the air is thin at high altitude but it doesn't bother me. It would someone with breathing problems for sure. I noticed after moving from CA to WI that cakes rise 1/3 lower here. I don't know if we're higher or lower here.
    Probably higher. I remember cake mixes having high altitude instructions on the boxes. Maybe they still do. I haven't made a cake mix in many years.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I went to one of my favourite eateries tonight. Because we are still in Phase 2 (partial lockdown) patio seating is all that's available.

As I sit down at my table, the server puts the menu down in front of me ... and an 8x11 sheet of paper with spaces for the date, table #, my name, my phone number, and my email address (spaces for lots of names/phone numbers/email addies on that one page, I should add -- just in case they get a large table).

Me: "What's this?"

Server: "Well, um, in case anybody here gets COVID ... one of our guests, or one of us ... we can notify you."

OMG BILL GATES AND GEORGE SOROS ARE TRACKING MEEEEEE ....
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Yeah, many places here are doing that whole contact-tracing thing too. All that they're asking for though is your name and a contact phone number, and they're listing it on a sheet. I suspect that this will be kept up for some time, honestly, especially as we're expecting a second wave anytime now due to the Atlantic Bubble being opened up. Woo?

Comment

• "Woo" indeed ...

It looks as though this little bugger will be with us for quite a while, so I'm not surprised at this. I'm trying to figure out how to download the government's COVID contact tracking app onto my phone.

Not that it will matter, since my phone is OFF 98% of the time, but ...

Did you guys read about the two cats in Texas who tested positive for COVID?

*looks suspiciously at my own two furry vectors*
          Last edited by Pixelated; 08-09-2020, 06:49 AM.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• It's been known for some time that pets can get it from humans and that cats seem to be more likely than any other pet to catch it. The only good thing is that there has been no known cases that jumped from a pet back to a human. There was a case of a human getting it from a mink at a farm however.

Comment

• I met up with a friend a few days ago and we went downtown. She still doesn't understand occupancy limits--one of the shops we went to has a limit of 10 customers at one time. One in, one out. She stood in line correctly (behind me, socially distanced) but when I went to enter she tried to waltz in right beside me. The gatekeeper wasn't pleased and I was mortified; the way she was trying to pull this made it seem like going in together was my idea. She was also right at my shoulder all the time...a tiny store is not the place to do that. Do your own shopping FFS, you don't need my approval to buy anything.

We did eat inside (not my choice but the place wasn't remotely busy so meh); there is a card on the tables with a QR code that brings up a menu/ordering app on your phone. That's cool and I hope they continue it.

My mom doesn't get the occupancy thing either. The fishmonger we go to has a tiny store, so limit of 3 customers (one in, one out). We're next in line. One person comes out and mom pulls me in as well...owner knows us but he's still not having it.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                Yeah, many places here are doing that whole contact-tracing thing too. All that they're asking for though is your name and a contact phone number, and they're listing it on a sheet. I suspect that this will be kept up for some time, honestly, especially as we're expecting a second wave anytime now due to the Atlantic Bubble being opened up. Woo?
                According to my Governor's rules, all restaurants in my state are supposed to be doing it also.

Some are, a lot aren't. I am not, at my restaurant. I have enough to do to run the place by myself (1 man show) to deal with that. Besides, I highly doubt my customers would go along with it at all, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                  According to my Governor's rules, all restaurants in my state are supposed to be doing it also.

Some are, a lot aren't. I am not, at my restaurant. I have enough to do to run the place by myself (1 man show) to deal with that. Besides, I highly doubt my customers would go along with it at all, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.
                  You might want to consider a CYA approach. Provide the contact tracking form to all of your customers. Then it is upon them to fill it out or not. But if questioned, you did your part. Especially if it is a law that may be enforced at some point.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Not sure how your place is set up, but if you put them on each table/next to the register I think that would cover you. I know you don't have much longer, but it would really suck if someone complained and you got hit by the state. If someone gives you a hard time for having them, just say the governor said you have to have them out and then go back to what you were doing

Comment

• I just got an email from the company; my furlough will be a termination effective September 30th. They will cover health insurance through that date, as well as pay out accrued vacation. So the store is going into a major sale without a grocery team (unless I get called back for the duration of the sale which is unlikely; I know I alone won't be able to handle that amount of work and if D3 thinks he can run me ragged...let him flail by himself). I've reached out to my original manager who is still in my area; O and D3 effectively sabotaged me so I'm not using them as references. I have plenty of "peeps" there who will vouch for me; they're gonna be livid when I tell them I got let go. I'm not the only one who got the email; a few furloughed colleagues in other departments did too.

ETA: I got a phone call from one of the managers earlier this afternoon to clarify everything. I had a bunch of questions, but wasn't really given an opportunity to ask much; he seemed to be going off a script and was on speakerphone. I did manage to tease out of him that the sale would be handled by just the managers; that should be entertaining. While I am terminated as of 9/30, he said that "hours may open up at some point"...while I don't want to leave, it's become clear that starting with D3 management was going in a different direction that the rest of us never were down with.

Anyone want an introverted Aspie with lots of random skills and a dim view of people in general?
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-10-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post

*looks suspiciously at my own two furry vectors*

....*looks over at them.... nice pair of vectors...even if they are a bit furry
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Sorry about my temporary abscence.

I live in Denmark, one of the few Yooropeen (shoutout to Raps) countries not mandating masks right now.

Until later this morning once our Prime Minister gives her first adresss in 3 months, I guess... many media are reporting that masks will be mandated next week, at least on public transport due to local surges in new cases. Prices on surgical masks have gone down already (to approx. 0.3 to 0.75 USD a piece) and cloth masks are now allowed as well if they have 3 layers (or 2 layers + place for a fliter).

I have pre-ordered some cloth masks already and will pick them up tomorrow.
                          Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-15-2020, 12:44 AM.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• I've been thinking about the "Automat" concept and how that could be a way to save restaurants.

Comment

• DS - It's my understanding that the idea has been fairly successful in Japan. As long as the things are properly and consistently maintained (cycling out food based on expiration dates), I could see those being a pretty good idea elsewhere, as well.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Yup. It seems as if the only sector not needed would be waitstaff--or maybe that could still work--order from your table, food is cooked, sent to the compartment by cooks and delivered to the table by waitstaff, thus minimizing contact in the dining area and maintaining "chain of custody" for food while still providing normal service. Maybe even dining tray covers will make a comeback.

I've been in restaurants that have tableside mobile ordering and it really works.
                                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-17-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X