This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Rant

TL;DR car is dying, need replacement car, nothing appealing used, looking at new cars.
    So I have had my house and car insurance with the same agency since my father died; he went to school with the owner. The woman I dealt with in the past retired a while back. So i sent them an email to find out what they needed in order to quote me on insurance, since I would probably be getting financing and would need comprehensive coverage. I'll summarize the email thread below:
    PS: Hi, I'm Plague Star, I have insurance through x with your agency, I have dealt with B in the past but understand she has retired. Can you put me in touch with somebody to quote me on insurance for a new car? 2002 car is ready for replacement.
    (2 hrs later)
    Agency Owner: Hi, I'm AO, I will be happy to assist you, we all miss B. Please give me a call to discuss your new purchase-I will need yr make model VIN, deductible.
    (OK, I don't want to call, leave a message, have you call back when I'm with a customer, leave a message, yadda yadda. Why would I want to read you VIN #s when I can cut and paste?)
    (5 days later I write)
    PS:Thank you for your reply. What I am trying to assess is how much my insurance would change, so I can avoid any unpleasant surprises.
    I am currently considering a Kia Soul.
    So, for a baseline, how much would the same policy I currently have on the 2002 Sonata cost on this car listed on Craigslist ( a ballpark figure would be fine, I don't need an exact quote): (car VIN, cost, milage, link to ad).
    And the car I am seriously considering is brand new, so would require comprehensive coverage, but I would probably go with the highest deductible ($500?): (car VIN, cost and link to dealer's website)
    (7 days go by)
    PS: am currently in negotiations to purchase the 2019 Soul listed below. However, I don't want to finalize an offer until I know how my auto insurance will change.
    Could you please provide me with the updated information I requested? If you need more information, please tell me. (again, car info)
    (2 hrs later)
    AO: Will you be trading in –or is this an addition to the policy? (I thought I had stated that I was replacing the car, but...whatever)
    (15 mins. later)
    PS: Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. The Sonata is reached the end of its lifespan, so I will be taking it off the road.
    Thank you for getting back to me.
    (24 hours go by...the whole afternoon of the previous day, and the afternoon of the next)
    AO:Ok-then you will be transferring plates-correct-I have to be clear on this as I don’t want you to get in trouble with DMV-plates w/no ins.-
    (WTF? It sounds like he's getting ready to transfer to insurance from my old car to the new car I haven't bought, and now can't buy because somebody else bought it while I'm playing games with the insurance agency)
    ( 1 hour later)
    PS:Yes, I will be transferring the plates from the 2002 Sonata to whatever vehicle I purchase. At this time, I am only trying to get a rough idea of what my insurance costs will be if I purchase the new 2019 Soul.
    +++
    So, that was two days ago, and....nothing.
    So this guy has gone from a slam-dunk customer to my preparing to shop around for quotes because....he doesn't like email? He can't read? He doesn't care? I know this post is probably a wall 'o words, but I've really tried to keep the correspondence simple.
    I'm just really really angry right now-I'm really stressed from trying to purchase a $20,000 car-something I have no experience in doing- and now I have the additional stress of shopping for insurance, which was not in the plan. I've also had a hassle setting up the financing, which was not part of my original plan to buy a decent used car I could pay cash for and be self-insured as always. My credit is fine, I got locked out of the loan website and when I called the number for support-"Oh, I don't know anything about THAT." So I set it up over the phone, but I'll still have to deal with the website problem at some point, unless I finance through the dealer, which is another rant in itself...

Sounds like one of the banes of my tech support experiences. Read just one line/item in the whole message, disregard everything else, including context and/or the actual issue, then paste in some generic reply that ...answers jack freaking shit.
    This guy will, at the very least, require full information copied to each. and. every. single. message. and. reply.

Shop for quotes. Even without this guy trying to be a scatterbrain, it's always a good idea to check around occasionally. Sometimes you get surprises and/or information to get a better rate for sticking around.

Comment

Quoth Plague*Star View Post
      TL;DR car is dying, need replacement car, nothing appealing used, looking at new cars.
      I read this and was like "did I make a post and then forget?" because this is my circumstances. My current car is even very close in age to yours, 2003. Crazy. Anyway, a while ago I price shopped for car insurance, and was really happy I did. It sounds like you might need to do the same... It wasn't as much of a hassle as I thought it would be, and (not to sound like a commercial) but I did save a lot of money.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

For insurance, you can always hit progressive.com for an estimate, no vin required, just year, make, model and desired coverage level.

If you're looking for a new car on the cheap, look into the Dodge Dart. Apparently it wasn't popular, and was eliminated a few years ago, 2016 I think. While it's MSRP is $20K, some dealers still have ones stuck on their lot, and I've seen new on cars.com as low as 13K.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
          ... Dodge Dart. ...
          Patty Larkin had one...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have a Dodge Dart, and even my rabidly Ford-loving DH likes it. We just need to get rid of that "please do awful things to me" sign it seems to have. In the last two months, we've dealt with two collisions and a breakin.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Ahh, Mopar. It's a love-hate relationship. I like my pickup, excepting some of the engineering and a few "features" that are really fscking annoying sometimes, like the pretty white speedo with illuminated black letters that becomes unreadable under some lighting conditions.

Comment

~

LOL, I just traded in my 2004 and purchased my very first "NEW" vehicle. And yes, a car loan is pretty intimidating, when I haven't had one for years.

If you are financing, check around, especially with local credit unions. I found one that was offering 2.99%, while two others were offering 4.5% as a best rate. Those dollars add up!

As for insurance, talk to coworkers, check online, and get multiple quotes. In the last 16 years I've had 3 insurers. The 1st was fine, but kept raising rates and was getting too expensive. I went to 2nd company which turned out to be almost half the cost. And 3rd company, who has treated me quite well, is a few hundred less than that.

Also, check with your insurance company to learn if you can take a drivers class for an insurance discount. Every state is different, but in my state you can take an online class that will save you 10% towards your insurance premium. What can I say, I love a bargain LOL.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Other things to think about; check the small print! Some policies are really cheap because the only way to claim is to have been hit by a unicorn on the 31st February.

Look into a dashcam as well; some (but not all) insurance companies offer a discount if you have a dashcam.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    Other things to think about; check the small print! Some policies are really cheap because the only way to claim is to have been hit by a unicorn on the 31st February.

Look into a dashcam as well; some (but not all) insurance companies offer a discount if you have a dashcam.
                    There is a Daffy Duck Porky Pig cartoon called Fools Coverage that makes fun of that situation -- the crazy requirements needed so the policy would pay off.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      There is a Daffy Duck Porky Pig cartoon called Fools Coverage that makes fun of that situation -- the crazy requirements needed so the policy would pay off.
                      Knowing Loony Tunes, it would be one of two situations:

Daffy trying to claim on the policy and getting frustrated by the clauses.

Or Daffy selling the policy to Porky and Porky managing to make a claim despite all the clauses.

*checks Youtube* Ah now I remember it. And it is the second case of course. (The first case is more of a Bugs and Daffy situation anyways)

Comment

Working...
                      X