This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent and advice needed

I work as a cashier for a *major grocery store chain*, and very recently the location I work at is noticing how many voids a cashier does on a daily basis, and asking why the voids were necessary.

A void is done for several reasons...
    • The customer did not want the item, and so the item was voided off
    • The customer went over their budget, and so the item or items were voided off
    • The customer claimed that the price was wrong, and either 1) the price had to be adjusted by first voiding it off and then correcting it or 2) the customer just did not want the item, so the item was voided off
    • There is a sticker on the item, and when it was scanned, the price was wrong... So the item was voided off and then adjusted.
    • Cashier error.

All of this was done before the customer paid.

But every transaction is recorded, and the cashier is asked why the voids were done by Bookkeeping. Bookkeeping asks the cashier why the voids were necessary.

Then the cashier has to sign a form stating that he/she made "too many voids" on a given day.

This is frustrating for me, especially when it is either on the store's end or the customer's end.

This is micromanaging to me.

I have also had 4 evaluations done within the past 2 months. 2 by the Assistant Customer Service Manager, one by the store manager, and one by the Lead Bookkeeper, who is the one asking the cashiers about the voids and having them sign the form.

A new front-end employee who started work earlier this week was evaluated yesterday.

According to one of the front-end supervisors, every location is not supposed to have too many voids.

To me all of this is overkill, and I want to

I get the sense that someone higher up within my employer is wanting to justify their job, but that is their problem, not mine.

What is funny is that all 4 keep telling me I am a great employee.

What is the best way for me to deal with this?
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-18-2019, 03:34 PM.

Is there any way you can keep a log of why various voids were done? Even if it's just a tick-box thing where you make a mark in each column depending on why the void was done? That way if you're called up on it, you can explain why it was done, and ask what you should do differently when the same situation arises.

If you can prove that all the voids were not due to cashier error but were due to the customer changing their mind or the wrong price being on the shelf (i.e. not your fault) make sure you write that on anything you have to sign. This way you have a paper trail if the higher ups try to use it to fire you with cause.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      Is there any way you can keep a log of why various voids were done? Even if it's just a tick-box thing where you make a mark in each column depending on why the void was done? That way if you're called up on it, you can explain why it was done, and ask what you should do differently when the same situation arises.

If you can prove that all the voids were not due to cashier error but were due to the customer changing their mind or the wrong price being on the shelf (i.e. not your fault) make sure you write that on anything you have to sign. This way you have a paper trail if the higher ups try to use it to fire you with cause.
      Yes, I can for both, and I will.

Luckily, I went back to the agency, which I got this job through back in 2016, earlier this year due to our hours being cut, and re-opened my file so that agency can find me a better job.

I was approved for their services again, and I was assigned to a counselor.

I also had vocational testing done last month.

I e-mailed my counselor last night to contact me when she has received the results from the vocational testing so we can devise a plan for me job wise.

I get the feeling that my time is coming to and end at my current employer, and that I will be moving on soon.
      Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-18-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Thinking about it; if you're riniging up items and then voiding them, and the items then have to be returned to the shelves, it's an inefficiency. If it's a preventable inefficiency, then it should be worked on.

The only part preventable I'd see on your specific end would be if you accidentally rang something up too many times. Gonna guess that's not what's happening here.

Something else would be if the customer thought it was a different price. That might be because other customers moved things between shelves, which the store can't directly control but it can periodically reorganize. Or it might be a problem with shelf tag placement, which is something that ought to be fixed.

It may seem like an inquisition to you, and the people involved in counting the voids might have the wrong idea in what they're doing and making it feel worse on your end.

Comment

There's not a heck of a lot you can do, especially when it gets busy. Keeping a log might seem like a good idea during the slower times but when you have a busy rush it's going to get in the way of ringing up the customer quickly.

At the end if the day, you're not supposed to be a human being. You're supposed to be this perfect scanning machine that never makes a mistake and doesn't need a lunch or bathroom break.

If all the cashiers are getting the same treatment then it's not likely to stop. Just do the best you can do every day and be prepared to answer truthfully when you're called into the office.
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

If they want to micromanage, help them do it.

Whenever you have a void, call a manager over to approve it. Because you don't want to be dinged for inappropriate voids. If the manager approves the void, then you shouldn't get dinged for it. If all the cashiers do that, the focus on voids will disappear real fast.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
              There's not a heck of a lot you can do, especially when it gets busy. Keeping a log might seem like a good idea during the slower times but when you have a busy rush it's going to get in the way of ringing up the customer quickly.

At the end if the day, you're not supposed to be a human being. You're supposed to be this perfect scanning machine that never makes a mistake and doesn't need a lunch or bathroom break.

If all the cashiers are getting the same treatment then it's not likely to stop. Just do the best you can do every day and be prepared to answer truthfully when you're called into the office.
              The best thing I can do is to keep a log at home.

I can only do what I can do on my end, which is to carefully scan the items.

The courtesy clerks also scan the big items in the carts or under the carts with the scan gun, and there are times when they scan incorrectly.

Comment

I made a log in Microsoft excel, and saved it in my one drive so I have access to it on my iPhone.

That way I have proof as to why the voids were done, and can show Bookkeeping if needed.
                Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-18-2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

A simple tally sheet with tickmarks under the various categories might be the thing to combine speed with "what happened here?" questions. You're not going to be able to keep up with 9:45, customer did X, voided because Y. A quick record of X customers didn't want item, Y customers dispute price, Z customers... had vision obstructed by lower intestinal tract, and W times, I done scanned the wrong thing or overscanned. Keep the categories clear and separate, marking down just the number of times.

The reasoning for wanting the explanations... well, I've seen where things got rung up properly, total given, then items voided sometime before money hit the till and/or tills get counted out for the day. The office twits not wanting to actually look at what's going on, that's just stupid-lazy. (I'm smart-lazy. If I gotta get up offa my buttocks to do something, I'll be damned if I'm getting up a second time to fix a half-assed or incomplete job.)

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                    A simple tally sheet with tickmarks under the various categories might be the thing to combine speed with "what happened here?" questions. You're not going to be able to keep up with 9:45, customer did X, voided because Y. A quick record of X customers didn't want item, Y customers dispute price, Z customers... had vision obstructed by lower intestinal tract, and W times, I done scanned the wrong thing or overscanned. Keep the categories clear and separate, marking down just the number of times.

The reasoning for wanting the explanations... well, I've seen where things got rung up properly, total given, then items voided sometime before money hit the till and/or tills get counted out for the day. The office twits not wanting to actually look at what's going on, that's just stupid-lazy. (I'm smart-lazy. If I gotta get up offa my buttocks to do something, I'll be damned if I'm getting up a second time to fix a half-assed or incomplete job.)
                    the log is like that.

I will just keep a tally of tick marks under each category as well as the date of each transaction.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                      Thinking about it; if you're ringing up items and then voiding them, and the items then have to be returned to the shelves, it's an inefficiency. If it's a preventable inefficiency, then it should be worked on.
                      My guess is that someone higher up, perhaps the Front End Coordinator who is over an area of locations including the one I currently work at, does not want too many rejects going back on the shelves

Those rejects are from customers not wanting the items.

Hmmm... I wonder what the Front End Coordinator expects these customers to do when they do not want the item. Should the cashier tell the customer that they must keep the item because it is not efficient for an employee to put up rejects that customers do not want?

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                        My guess is that someone higher up, perhaps the Front End Coordinator who is over an area of locations including the one I currently work at, does not want too many rejects going back on the shelves

Those rejects are from customers not wanting the items.

Hmmm... I wonder what the Front End Coordinator expects these customers to do when they do not want the item. Should the cashier tell the customer that they must keep the item because it is not efficient for an employee to put up rejects that customers do not want?

My guess is actually that Someone On High suspects the Void system is being abused for theft

I strongly suspect that either they will make you summon a manager to do voids in the near future, or those that have several(or any) of those signed "too many voids" writeups will get more scrutiny as suspected thieves,

Comment

Quoth Sulhythal View Post
                          My guess is actually that Someone On High suspects the Void system is being abused for theft

I strongly suspect that either they will make you summon a manager to do voids in the near future, or those that have several(or any) of those signed "too many voids" write-ups will get more scrutiny as suspected thieves,
                          Yeah,

I would not be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                          X