This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control your kids XD

Yesterday I went swim suit shopping with my girlfriend at Macy's. Everything was going fine until she wanted to try on some suits and I had to wait outside of the fitting room for her. After about 5 mins of waiting, this mother, her mother and three kids come to the fitting room as well. So, I'm sitting there and the mom goes towards the fitting room while grandma is feeding the youngest (cute little girl, no older than a month). While the mother is waiting to go into the next available room, the other two kids (two boys, 7 and 5 respectively) start running around like crazy. One starts picking up the department phone and screaming into it then putting it back down...then picking it up, screaming into and putting it back down (wash, rinse and repeat). The oldest finally calms down some, but then he wants to start grabbing the ladies clothes from the fitting room and put them in random places. All I could do was look at both the Mom and Grandma in awe. They didn't say anything to either of the kids. All they did was pretend that everything was fine while these two little hellions ran amuck near the women's fitting rooms. All she had to say was "stop it" and I would have been happy. Gah, some parents these days!
    Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Have I got a fitting room story for you!

I can do one worse than this, although your story is bad enough.

I know a person who took her 3 1/2 year old with her to the fitting rooms while she and her mom were bathing suit shopping. She went into one room, her mom went into another room, and she put the 3 y.o. in his own room.

Big, big mistake. Huge.

The kid, left to his own devices, dropped trou and peed all over the fitting room.

I asked the mom what she did and she said "Nothing. I just got out of there".
    I was horrified.

Why are all my little kid stories about pee lately?

p.s. if my daughter started acting the way the kids in your story acted, she'd be outta that store so quickly she wouldn't have known what hit her.
    Last edited by MamaMootz; 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
    --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz
      ...and she put the 3 y.o. in his own room.

Big, big mistake. Huge.

The kid, left to his own devices, dropped trou and peed all over the fitting room.

She should be glad that is all that happened, and that her 'precious' wasn't kidnapped.

Comment

Sometimes I just want to hurt parents who let their kids run around in the dressing rooms, play on the escalator, or jump on the display beds. My major pet peeve is parents who don't pay attention to their kids in the dressing rooms, especially with the news of a little girl killed in a Sears dressing room by a folding mirror a week ago. Apparently, she had been playing with it, at least that's what the rumors are in our store and on the web.

I don't like seeing little kids get hurt. That's why I will tell a kid to stop doing something stupid or dangerous the moment I see it and I don't care what the parent says to me afterwards.

I also can't stand it when parents push strollers onto the escalator with their kids still strapped in them. OMG. What the hell are they thinking? What if their hold slipped and they let go of the stroller? Usually it's too late when I try to tell them we have an elevator nearby. Anyway, sorry to go off topic like that...

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz
          p.s. if my daughter started acting the way the kids in your story acted, she'd be outta that store so quickly she wouldn't have known what hit her.

With both of my children, the threat, "Keep it up and we're going home," was followed through. They know that they will be taken home and my saying it is usually all it takes to get improved behavior.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I'd always prefer to be thought of as an interfering old bag, for telling a parent to take better care of their child, than have to give a statement to the police after an accident where a child is severely injured or even killed....I do think that the willingness to speak up to bad parents tends to come with age or with parenthood, as i didn't speak up much when I was younger. These days i don't give a monkey's, so I do ask parents to control their kids when they are running riot, or tell them that such-and-such a thing is dangerous.
            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
            - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl
              She should be glad that is all that happened, and that her 'precious' wasn't kidnapped.
              Exactly. What killed me about what happened was, that

1) she was there with her mother. What was wrong with mom staying outside the dressing rooms while the parent tried on suits, and then the parent could watch the kid while the mom tried on suits. Sure it would have taken longer, but so what?
              2) I don't understand why a person who also works in retail would even think that it's remotely OK to let your kid pee in a dressing room and not tell anyone or offer to clean it up. She just left!
              3) I cannot imagine, ever, ever, every leaving DD in a dressing room by herself. *shudder*

But this was also the mom that let her kid run rampant in parking lots - and he nearly got creamed by cars more than once.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.

Comment

What is WRONG with some of these people????

Listen, I just had a baby 10 months ago. I now spend my entire exsistance with my heart in my throat, convinced there are tigers and dingos and kidnappers and all other calamities at every step, just waiting to pounce on my child.

I used to be fearless. Now I've surpassed even my own mother in worry. I told her to "enjoy her revenge on me."

I take my child out I don't even let go of the stroller unless my Mom or husband is with me and helping me.

I just do not know how some parents can be so cavalier with their children.

I remember this one IDIOT woman came into Kinko's with a toddler and was working out in self-serve. She had a copy machine open while she was doing a paste up on the table (why, I could not tell you) and her toddler was standing there playing around in the guts of the machine. Yes. A toddler. Playing. Guts of copy machine. Ever poked around in there? Well, it's full of all sorts of hazzards: a burning hot fuser that you can fry eggs on, electrical circuits, loose, toxic toner in powder form, fuser oil, places that pinch and crush, things that cut, other things that stab. I

I ran out there, pulled her kid gently but firmly out of the machine, and closed the door. I said "Ma'am, do not let your child play in or with the machines." She looked at me like a dumb cow with a mildly annoyed look on her face. I said "I don't imagine you want to spend thousands of dollars replacing this machine, and we don't want to spend thousands of dollars when you sue us because your child was injured. That's not a safe place for a child to play." (like I even had to TELL her that, right?)

If she complained, I never heard about it.

Comment

Well, the parent's reasoning is that if something happens, they can sue the store. Great morals these people have, using their kids to make money.

I have to keep an eye on the 20 year old kids, the ones that want to have silly string shootouts in the store (true story), keeping an eye on your little brat isn't my responsibility.

I so want to put up a sign that says "These game machines are not a babysitting service, monitoring your children is your responsibility and failure to do so will not fall on the store."
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth wagegoth
                    With both of my children, the threat, "Keep it up and we're going home," was followed through. They know that they will be taken home and my saying it is usually all it takes to get improved behavior.
                    And that's it, exactly. The key to great parenting. If you threaten, you have got to follow through. I think this is where the majority of people fail. They say "Oh little Tiffany, stop that or I'll take away a toy/spank/pull you out of the store" and then they let little Tiffany keep doing what she was doing with no consequences attached to the behavior.

It works like a charm. Threaten + carry out punishment = change in behavior. Simple.

Comment

I like the ones that "count to three." I want to smack them especially. Usually, they could count to 200 or so, all the times they said, "I'm going to count to three."

Why not just go on and tell your kid you are a pushover? If he's going to run out in traffic, are you going to count to three then?

When I was a kid, my parents would beat my butt if I acted like that.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar
                        Well, the parent's reasoning is that if something happens, they can sue the store. Great morals these people have, using their kids to make money.
                        Sometimes I wonder if some parents love money more than they love their children.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier
                          Sometimes I wonder if some parents love money more than they love their children.
                          For the answer to that, look at the parents who buy ciggs and booze for themselves, and make their kids eat the cheapest stuff they can get away with, then smack their kids for ASKING, NICELY, if they can have something.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

All of this reminded me of my days at the local bowling alley.

For some unknown reason, parents had this idea that since the bowling alley is a "family friendly" environment (at least ours was), then they have to take no responsibility for their little children and let them run around unsupervised. In addition to the normal running around and screaming, these are things I have witnessed or heard about:

- Children running down the lanes for various reasons (the one that was the least funny was the child who thought the lane was their own personal Slip 'N Slide - they demanded we clean their children's clothes).
                            - One child reached the end of the lane and was starting into the machinery behind the lane. You know, those giant machines with whirling parts that do not stop because a little hand went in them (that family was banned, but I wasn't there for this one).
                            - Children thinking it was funny to throw the balls at the counters, other children, employees, the glass doors, etc.

Beyond all of that, there was one that took the cake for me. A child no more than 3 had climbed up on one of the ball returns. For those who do not know, the ball return is the piece of machinery that brings the bowling ball from the back of the lane to the "approach" (where the bowler chucks their ball down the lane). The ball returns do not shut off for anything until the alley closes and the power to the lanes is turned off. This means that there is a very fast-rotating wheel just inside the lip of the return that will not stop when someone touches it (not to mention the balls that travel at insane speeds into this return without warning). There were warning labels on this machine saying just that in not so many words. Anywho, I see the kid on top of the return, leaning over the hole the balls come out of, and reaching for the wheel that will not stop. Needless to say, I dropped whatever it was I was working with, ran to the lane so fast I don't think my feet actually touched the floor, and as gently as I could snatched the kid off the return and put him on the floor and told him that he shouldn't climb on the machines ,they're dangerous, etc, etc.

You'd think I'd be a hero for saving this poor child from losing an arm, wouldn't you? But, no! Psycho mom proceeds to berate me for what felt like hours for touching her child, allegedly yelling at her kid, etc, etc. Since I couldn't get a word in edgewise, I went back to the counter, turned her lane off, and asked her to leave. To make a long story short, the manager backed me up 1000% because (1) it was the weekend and technically I was in charge and (2) he saw the whole thing and called her on her lies and bad parenting.

The manager is the only reason I miss that job sometimes...
                            ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
                            - Cartman

Comment

in·san·i·ty
                              Pronunciation: in-'sa-n&-tE
                              Function: noun
                              Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
                              1 : a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)
                              2 : such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility
                              3 a : extreme folly or unreasonableness b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

Comment

Working...
                              X