View Single Post

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
High Priest to Grog-Boozith

Excellent questions, Raps. I'll deal with each individually.

Quote:
Quoth Rapscallion View Post
Hmm - do you get added points if you're personally involved in the scandal, or do you get automatic disqualification?
Neither. As long as the scandal is duly reported in some major media, and it does fit the definition of "scandal" (as defined by the Arbiter for the purposes of this game, of course), personal involvement does not disqualify you nor give you added points. Though I will personally congratulate anyone who actually orchestrates a celebrity's involvement in some kind of scandal, as that is just all kinds of awesome.

One exception: Arizona's Secretary of State is a woman named Jan Brewer. When/if Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano joins President-Elect Obama's team in DC, as is expected, Brewer will assume the governorship. Anyone who personally orchestrates the downfall and complete disgrace (and preferably removal from office) of Ms. Brewer automatically gets a share of the championship, even if they haven't picked her on their list.

My home state deserves better than That Woman, damn it. (We'll miss you, Janet!)

Quote:
Is the limit of a choice of three celebs going to increase the chances of more people getting zero points?
It is certainly a possibility. Here's the deal: most death pools that I've seen have people picking ten celebrities, and overlap is allowed. I thought about going that route, but decided to go with three each, no overlap. With the amount of scandals celebrities get in in the average year, I feel safe that someone in this game will score a hit.

Quote:
What constitutes a 'scandal'? Does it have to make a national newspaper?
The definition of scandal is nebulous, of course, but it has to be some kind of controversy or situation the celebrity finds themselves in that casts a negative image upon them. One thing, though...the celebrity has to be somewhat central to the scandal, or if tangential, they have to have done something within the scandal that casts a bad light on them. I have outlined some examples above, but will judge each scandal on a case to case basis.

As for the second question, obviously a truly good scandal will receive widespread publicity, but for our purposes, I will say that it has to be reported in at least two separate major media outlets, be it newspaper, magazine, internet, television, or whatever. Clint Eastwood running over a neighbor's dog and getting a scathing article in the local town newspaper is not a scandal. Clint Eastwood running over the band The Counting Crows and having it reported on CNN and TMZ.com, however, is. And would obviously be much cause for celebration. (At least for me....apparently I am the only one on the planet that recognizes the inescapable fact that they suck donkey eggs.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
Still A Customer."