This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ is for Activation

Background: We have a freeware program we bought the rights to from another company. An artifact from the other company is that is has a registration scheme. Since it is freeware we don't have tech support for it, nor do we offer registration by phone. The instructions for registering by email are very easy and the screen guides you through step-by-step.

We also have a free new beta version of the same product, which doesn't have a registration scheme. It's on the same download page as the older product.

On to yesterday's phone call:

Me: [Opening spiel]

Caller: Yeah. I went to your web page to get your [freeware] program and it gave me two choices and one was a beta and I clicked on the other one and I clicked Run and I installed it and now it says I need a registration code?

Me: OK. You do that by email. Just send your hard drive ID to us at the address on your screen and we sent one back to you.

Caller: Hard drive ID? What's that?

Me: It should be showing on your screen.

Caller: Does it start with a "B?"

Me: It varies. It has four letters or numbers, a hyphen, then four more letters or numbers.

Caller: Oh. OK. So what do I do?

Me: You send that to the email address on the screen.

Caller: This is kind of hard. Can you guide me through it?

Me: I'm sorry, but you have to do it by email. If you prefer not to, you can download the beta version, which does not have a registration requirement.

Caller: Oh. So what email address do I use?

Me: The one on the screen.

Caller: Can you give it to me?

Me: Activation. At. [company email domain]. Dot. Com.

Caller: Is "activation" that "A" with a circle around it?

Me: No. You spell out a-c-t-i-v-a-t-i-o-n, then the at-sign, which is the "A" with a circle around it, then [spells out email domain], then a period, then c-o-m. Just like on the screen if front of you. Look over the hard drive ID. Do you see it?

Caller: OH! So they'll send back a registration code?

Me: Yes.

Caller: OK. Thanks.

Me: [closing pleasantries]

I monitor the email address I gave her. It's almost a day later and I never got the email. I don't know what to make of that. I'm hoping it's because she went with the beta.

OK. I know what you're thinking after reading this. Wouldn't it have been less painful to just give her the registration code on the phone?

The answer is that of course it would. But registering the program is the easiest aspect of using it and we don't offer tech support. If I held her hand all the way through the registration I'd be setting her up for far greater failure and disappointment when she tries to actually use the program.

Not to mention setting myself and my co-workers up for endless frustrating phone calls because I gave her an expectation that we'd spoon feed her through every aspect of using her computer.

It's much, much better to give her a chance to do something for herself and that feeling of pride when she realizes "I did it!"

What can I say? I like to give.

Just as long as she doesn't get carried away with it and start editing the registry. <shudder>
    Last edited by Dips; 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Th@t's hil@rious.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I think I've had the same or similar person once ask me for support for a program my company released.... I was once asked "how do I send you an e-mail?" Over e-mail. I thought it was a joke even though I replied nicely like they weren't a complete idiot.

Another time, long story short, beta testers of our software lied, customer with older version o the OS couldn't register a program (only needed for online access) -- we couldn't register them (lost the source in a freak multiple hard-drive and backup failure [backing up the files... two hard drives went down at the same time]). At least they knew what they were doing.

Comment

H@ h@ h@. I h@ve never l@ughed so h@rd in @ges.

(that was fun to do. )

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          Th@t's hil@rious.
          Quoth Nashida View Post

(that was fun to do. )
          You guys @re so funny. I forgot to l@ugh.

(@ctu@lly, I giggled quite @ bit)
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
            Hat hat hat. I hatve never latughed so hatrd in atges.
            *snicker* I'm evil today. Still funny though. I lol'd.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              *snicker* I'm evil today. Still funny though. I lol'd.
              You're not doing it right!

Hactivation hactivation hactivation. I hactivationve never lactivationughed so hactivationrd in activationges.
              Yeah... I'm evil too.
              Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
                You're not doing it right!

Yeah... I'm evil too.
                CURSES! I've not been doing it rightly!

(I double lol'd at this one )
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...