This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh. I need help

So in four weeks the schools have a two and a half week break for Easter. Two weeks off. Horray.

I was in my old pub having a drink with a couple of friends. As much as I don't like the place, it still is the most popular pub in that town, so sometimes I don't have much choice if I want to see my friends. One of the nice managers approached me.

M: So it's the Easter break for you soon, yeah?
    Me: Yeah it is.
    M: If you are interested in earning some extra money, we may have some shifts for you.
    Me: Uhhh, I will think about it.

What is worrying is that I may actually have to take them up on that offer. April is going to be a verrrry expensive month for me. I have visitors one weekend, so I will have to keep them entertained. One of my best friends is getting married the weekend after, and I'm an usher (I have no idea what an usher is supposed to do argh) and the weekend after that, I am travelling down south for a surprise birthday party. On top of that I also have rent and have to make time to see the girlfriend. So yeah, pretty, pretty expensive.

The advantage is that if I do go back, I won't be able to work on weekends, which were always hell. I only need to do three seven hour shifts a week to make up the money I need. It will also give me something to do. I went stir crazy during the Christmas break and seeing as it is only two weeks, I can also be as rude and sarcastic as I want to all the horrible customers.

The disadvantage is...the pub, the management, the useless co-workers, the late nights and the evil, evil customers.

Hmmm, you can be rude and sarcastic to the management and useless co-workers as well, since it's only two weeks... Which might be a quite liberating experience. If anyone is trying to fuck around with you, you simply can tell them to shove it.
    But after reading all the stories you posted, I can see why it's a hard decision.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

You don't have to tolerate any of those things which made you quit. You have shown you won't by walking out. I guess that the sucky managers will be very careful now.
      Getting paid for being rude to horrible customers shouldn't be that bad and anyway, it's only 42 hours.
      My opinion may be biased. I so want to read some pub stories .

Comment

Don't.

Remember how unhappy and stressed it made you. Remember how useless the managers were. Remember how awful the customers were. Remember that it made you so unhappy that you walked out.

Ok, I know it is your choice. I am only an anonymous guy on the internet. But please think carefully about it.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          Don't.

Remember how unhappy and stressed it made you. Remember how useless the managers were. Remember how awful the customers were. Remember that it made you so unhappy that you walked out.

Ok, I know it is your choice. I am only an anonymous guy on the internet. But please think carefully about it.
          I do remember all those things. The problem at the end of the day is money. I really don't want to end up in my overdraft again. Before I started at the school, I was VERY overdrawn, and I have only just got out of it. The stress of going back to the pub for two weeks is much better than the stress of being in debt again.

IF I do decide to go back, I can absolutely guarantee that I will not take anything in the job seriously. I will do no favours, I will not put in extra effort. I will show up, work like a zombie and leave.

Comment

It is not nearly so bad when you know you are leaving soon. I'd say do it.

Comment

Aw, but think how fun it will be to not give a crap.

(Actually--and this probably makes me crazy--I'm thinking about taking a short bartending course.)
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Set boundaries. That goes for the pub and for your friends. Though you may not like the idea, you don't "have" to entertain your friends or spend a fortune going to other functions. Good friends are going to accept that money is tight and understand your choices. Don't go into debt because you think you have to entertain/buy gifts/etc.

And set boundaries for the pub. Agree in advance to which/how many shifts you're willing to work at what you'll be doing (kitchen versus bar). And think positive! Focus on the goal and the good reasons for your choices instead of how much you hate the pub. Many of us recall just how miserable you were before and we're happy to see you working hard towards something better!
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm just shocked to find out you have a girlfriend I had no idea you even had time for one at all!

But yeah I would probably do it and like you said....just do the basics to get by and get paid and then get out.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

As long as you think you mentally can handle it, then I say give it a try.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

They absolutely do not understand why it is you left and what drove you to do it. That to me would be reason enough not to go back.

But if you feel you need to, don't do anything beyond the bare minimum needed to stay for that short time.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If there's any other way to make ends meet, I'd say do that instead. After working at a school, time off to unwind is important, and you will not feel recharged if you work at the pub.

Can you live off of beans/rice/ramen for awhile?

Make arrangements with your visitors in advance about who pays for what?

An usher at a wedding shows people to their seats. Like you'll say, "Bride or groom?" and then take them to the correct side of the church (or wherever). Sometimes the ushers wear tuxes/suits that match the groom's/men's. Double-check about the clothes you'll need and see if you can work out a payment plan.

But, as you point out, money is important. If you do decide to go back, take care of yourself.

Comment

If you do go back, I have some advice. Part of the reason you burned out last time was that you actually care about doing the job right despite it being a toxic environment, and that's a main reason they want you back.

Here's a magic phrase that should help you should you go back.

"Not my problem."

You don't own the place. They owe you. If it goes tango upstart, it's their fault and not yours.

I'm not saying you should go back, just a philosophy to adopt if you do go back.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            tango upstart
                            I must remember that

I'd say, if it's only a couple of weeks, then go for it. You have the advantage, this time, that you are not solely dependent on that wage. And if they know that you don't have to put up with crap, they're less likely to hand it out to you.
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I don't know... couldn't you see if any parents want a tutor over the holiday or something to make a little extra. That old job just seemed so miserable for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X