This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-worker blew his second chance...not good

One of the folks who trained beside me when I first started at the Golden Arches has already done himself out of his job. He worked all his scheduled hours...until he pulled a no-call/no-show on payday this past Thursday and hasn't been back.

Until today.

He ordered through drive-thru this evening and tried to get a crew discount on his order. Only to get laughed at the by the shift manager and asked how he figured he still had a job after not showing up since his last shift prior to Thursday.

Dude lost his shit.

If dude hadn't already lost his job for not showing up for the past few days he would have lost it on the spot.

It wasn't his first time working for the Golden Arches but it is definitely his last until he successfully goes through rehab. He admitted during our training that he was being given a second chance this time around because he lost his job with them before due to drug addiction, but he was clean now. Only to find out from another co-worker who knows him well that he basically woke up Thursday morning and went on a binge that has now lost him his job yet again.

Addiction is a tough thing to beat, but he can't really blame anybody else if he blows off the job so he can get high. Hope he gets help and actually beats it. In the meantime, he can't expect other people to accept excuses.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've gotta admit, I don't really get addiction. (Please don't try to explain it to me again. I've got an intellectual understanding of it, just not a "gut" (or perhaps "emotional"?) understanding.)

On the other hand, alcoholism runs in my family, and I am very careful about what little drinking I do... just in case.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

My father drank himself out of every good job he ever had. Knowing that, I told myself early on, in my teens when I just started to have illicit drinks, that when I ever felt I NEEDED a drink, then I wasn't going to have it. I've been quite successful with my drinking over the years. Sick drunk 1 time (oh Jesus, never again), learned I can't have more than half a glass of champagne if I want to avoid that horrible headache it gives me, and there are a few things I can successfully keep drinking over the course of an evening to pace myself, interspersed with a soda or two. Booze is not my downfall. Nor are recreational drugs.

My issue? My issue is food. I love food and I'm always hungry, so I have to work really hard to pace myself or I'll be in trouble really fast.

Comment

I'm remembering something that got attributed to a drill instructor talking to his troops in training just before they got their first 3-day pass. "If you DO get in trouble, 'I was drunk' is NOT an excuse. Right now, you are SOBER, and know what's likely to happen when you get drunk. Right now you are SOBER, and decide whether you're going to pick up that first drink or not." At that point, it was made clear that such stupidity would be most enthusiastically ... punished.

From one of the AA/NA groups: If you go to a barber shop, you're likely to get a haircut. If you go often enough, you WILL eventually get a haircut. Same deal with your chemical/drug of choice. You hang around long enough, and you will partake again.

The DI had it, though. Right now, you are SOBER.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
            I've gotta admit, I don't really get addiction. (Please don't try to explain it to me again. I've got an intellectual understanding of it, just not a "gut" (or perhaps "emotional"?) understanding.)
            Same here ... an intellectual understanding, but not a gut/emotional understanding. I watched "Requiem for a Dream" and wanted to scream "Why are you DOING that?! You KNOW what can happen!"

Quoth DESERTED View Post
            On the other hand, alcoholism runs in my family, and I am very careful about what little drinking I do... just in case.
            Interesting you should mention that; my dad was both an alcoholic and prescription drug (Valium) abuser. None of us kids are "into" any of that ... at least, not to my knowledge. Medico asked me recently how much I drink and I said, "Um, maybe a glass of wine every month or two ... if that." I've been in a state that could definitely be called drunk once in my life, and that was once too often.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Oh, I've been drunk a number of times, entirely while I was active duty in the Navy. Once I was even literally blackout drunk: I ordered Sambuca at a pub in the middle east, expecting a finger-size glass... nope, they brought a beer mug full of the stuff, which is definitely meant to be drunk in small amounts. I started drinking... after a while, my memory just sort of fades out.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Minflick, are you me?

My dad wasn't a drunk, but he and mom both smoked like chimneys. I decided early that alcohol and cigarettes were NOT places I wanted to go.

The food thing, on the other hand? Well, I weigh 2.34 times what I should, so . . .

Comment

There are also predispositions for addiction, and many different forms of addiction.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    There are also predispositions for addiction, and many different forms of addiction.
                    I could very easily become a gambling addict, so I don't gamble. I don't even buy lottery tickets. The nearest I come is the weekly lottery sweepstake at work, where you put in a pound, pick your numbers, and we keep going until someone has had all their numbers drawn. I think the longest it took was 2 months, and the pot was quite large. I've actually won that a couple of times, but I don't expect it.

If I do go into an amusement arcade (usually because my wheelchair-bound mother wants to go in) I only ever go on the 2p coin flip machines. I know myself too well; I will just keep feeding money in until I have nothing left, so I give my mum my purse (keeping a couple of quid to get change) and when it's gone, it's gone.

Turns out my maternal great grandfather was a massive gambler, so I come by it honestly. My mum's mum never knew whether she was going to be waking up in the morning rich, or having to pack up and move out because he'd lost everything (again). This happened throughout her childhood, and only ended when the Turks invaded and murdered most of her male relatives (she was Greek).
                    Last edited by greek_jester; 05-29-2018, 07:57 AM. Reason: Can't spell
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                      My father drank himself out of every good job he ever had.
                      Sounds like my ex-gf....only it was crack cocaine in her case. This was the pattern since she discovered that
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        I ordered Sambuca at a pub in the middle east, expecting a finger-size glass... nope, they brought a beer mug full of the stuff,

For the thread: Different people have different "drugs of addiction" -- at least some of it is probably genetic, but temperament and imprinting also get their say. For me, alcohol and depressants in general are not appealing; having an evening drink five nights a week is really hitting the bottle for me. (Only five nights, because I often forget I was planning to have a drink. ) But I have to limit myself with stimulants (I have been lucky/smart enough to stay the away from cocaine.)
                        And smokables are... an issue for me.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          Oh, I've been drunk a number of times, entirely while I was active duty in the Navy. Once I was even literally blackout drunk: I ordered Sambuca at a pub in the middle east, expecting a finger-size glass... nope, they brought a beer mug full of the stuff, which is definitely meant to be drunk in small amounts. I started drinking... after a while, my memory just sort of fades out.
                          OOH where was that? I missed that place.
                          AkaiKitsune
                          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Apropos News: Senator Garret announces alcoholism, will not seek re-election.

In context, that's kind of a "go figure" thing... he was already facing a scandal of sorts for having his personal staff do chores for him.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                              Minflick, are you me?

My dad wasn't a drunk, but he and mom both smoked like chimneys. I decided early that alcohol and cigarettes were NOT places I wanted to go.

The food thing, on the other hand? Well, I weigh 2.34 times what I should, so . . .
                              Heh, heh, heh. Mine did too. Mom quit after she retired, when during a chiro visit, he sent her straight to the ER, as she was cyanotic... That's when her emphysema was discovered, while she was living at high altitude in Santa Fe (as opposed to sea level where she spent most of her life). She never smoked again. I grew up with that lovely layer of smoke in the house, and EVERYTHING stank of stale cigs.

Dad quit smoking when he was in the hospital, I think for a ruptured appendix, and he discovered that when he had a smoke, his monitors went nuts ( this was back in the day when you could smoke in the hospital) and he too quit cold turkey and never lapsed.

Me.... I love my food, and I'm not sure how many times I weigh over what I should, but lets just say I've gained 90 odd pounds since I got married. I love food and I'm far too sedentary... I refused to smoke tobacco, there's nothing good about it to attract me. I've had weed, but not for a long time, and again, smoking just doesn't appeal to me. Needle abuse is never going to happen, because I HATE needles, although I used them all day every day at work. I drink a bit, but not a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X