Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Game] [OOC] Into the Black (Firefly-verse)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sama has grown up on a alst style ship most of her life (they had a smaller one till they got some government contracts that allowed them to afford a larger ship.)

I think sama would of just answered a "help wanted" ad while in port, looking for a new ship, most turned off by her age.....and her temper.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      Questions for Lizzie Lock:
      - Presuming that Lizzie's brother fought for the Alliance in the war, but regardless, what planet/battle did he die on/in? And please, don't make it one of the "known" battles listed in the source material. Let's try to diversify and come up with new "canon" stuff for our story.
      - What firm/company does Nathaniel work for?
      - Tell us the story of Lizzie's last great bender. The one that prompted her to limit herself to one drink and that perhaps she's most embarrassed about.
      Yes, Andrew Lock fought for the Alliance. (Making up a battle here: ) When the Independents tried to free the planet Greenleaf in order to have access to its medicinal plants, Andrew was among the troops sent by the Alliance to reclaim it. He was struck down in the initial battle.

Nathaniel Lock works as an accountant for the Museum of Art at the Londonium Museum.

After seeing their final grades, a group of Lizzie's classmates decided to go out and celebrate their imminent graduation. Lizzie remembers little of that night except waking up, with a tremendous hangover, among a pile of passed out and snoring people. During the next few days, up to graduation day, Lizzie was approached by about half a dozen of her classmates as well as two people they must have picked up at one bar or another. All of them thanked her for the amazing time they had. One even asked where she learned "that thing." Lizzie tried to play it cool, but she regretted getting so drunk that she couldn't remember the great time she must have had. Lizzie already had a reputation at the school for being easy, so little changed in that regard. She still wonders if there wasn't more that happened that night that she doesn't remember/know.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

I figure Webb is on the ship for one of a few reasons:

1: Saw Cook was in need of a pilot, recognized the name as someone who had a reputation in the Alliance for being a "good man."

2: Cook being in need of a Pilot heard about Webb and recognized Webb's name and sought him out.

3: Webb being in need of work saw Cook advertising for need of a Pilot and won out the job by impressing cook with his skills. Neither really recognizes the other, but they recognize the demeanor of a former alliance military man in one another.

Comment

Exile and I discussed how Lizzie joined the crew, and this is what we came up with:

Lizzie is fired from her last job on Londonium and can no longer find work. She tries looking for work on Londonium, but her reputation precedes her, until she runs out of money and is about to be evicted. While doing so, she spends time in a club near her apartment and meets a handsome patron of the club she'd never met before, mutual seduction between Lizzie and the patron occurs. Afterwards she mentions she's about to lose her place and laments that despite medical degree she cannot find work. Patron mentions sometimes transport vessels need medics to patch up wounded in space where accidents have been known to occur with no other medical personnel within days of travel. After the patron leaves, she takes the idea and searches codex for possible job postings on travelling ships. Though she wants to stay on Londonium because of friends and lovers there, she feels she must do whatever it takes to not end up destitute. Replies to cortex post, meets crew member Mando Alvarez who has been authorized to handle hiring of medic. Mando accepts Lizzie after trying to arrange vidconference with captain and being told to "handle it". (Wouldn't even read the resume.) Lizzie quickly grabs up belongings with help of crew. Later after having left atmo, set course, and contacted next port destination captain finally emerges to meet the crew's new medic. Lizzie "officially" meets Captain Zhan Cook, recognizing him as the patron that suggested she find work on a transport vessel.
          Last edited by Ghel; 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

*bump*

So when are we getting this party started?
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Unless Exile has an objection I'ma go with option 3 for Webb. As in: Webb got the job as Pilot by answering a help wanted ad. Webb and Cook recognize the military bearing/lifestyle in one another but don't really recognize the other.

With that being the case we still need to settle on ship type and name, unless that has been decided and I just missed it

Comment

Ok, I'm apparently back. Thank you everyone who spoke out for me. I wish the mods would return my posts because I don't remember them word for word but at least I can get back on. Sorry I haven't been following the thread for a few days but I should be able to catch up soon. Currently though I have a barbeque, so I'll get back to you. Thanks again and see you all soon.

Comment

Ok. I'm going to be spending what spare time I have today to reply to what I have left unanswered and repost what I can remember of what had been posted before. If all goes according to plan you all will probably be tired of reading my posts by the end of the day, but at least I'll have caught back up.

First thing is one I had posted but never made it onto the page; the laser pistol. This was all made up by me as there is very little official material on lasers. (Really just Rance Burgess' and The Lassiter.)

Cíbēi jīguāng MSMPL-X1 was a design brought to the Alliance that was supposed to meet every need the government could have for a weapon. It had four settings; a standard laser pulse that delivered a dealy laser but would only stay on for a fraction of a second, designed to kill targets and conserve energy, a cutting setting that delivered the same laser blast but would stay on as long as the trigger was held, it could be used to cut through armor but drained battery quickly, and a heat setting that diffused the laser into a slightly wider beam that could cause heat flashes and sudden dehydration or even unconciousness in living targets or heat metal causing it to cause burns to flesh touching it or melt plastic. Due to expense of the creation only one was made.

The manual was considered too much to introduce to veteran soldiers when adequate weapons already existed with which they were already proficient and the top brass didn't want to add it to basic training for similar reasons. The cutting setting was considered a potential unneeded expense due to the battery drain and once again the brass didn't like it due to the added danger of giving a potential anti-armor weapon to the every rank and file soldier. Finally the heat setting's affects in field tests was considered too unreliable as many effects could be stalled by overhydrating before an attack and prolonged exposure could cause death similar to fire burns which had long been banned since the Geneva Convention of Earth-That-Was. As such it was not considered for further reevaluation and never put into any further production. (Which is a shame because making it a pulse-only weapon could have solved all of those problems and in the long run made it the most energy-efficient laser weapon to date.)

High density batteries are not prohibitively expensive from what I have read also, and considering their potential use in other technologies would likely not even be a controlled product. It would make more sense for the government to control the flow of the weapons themselves and the weapon specific circuitry rather than the versatile power supplies. Also, if anyone's interested Cíbēi jīguāng means "Mercy Laser" according to the all-knowing oracle Google. MSMPL-X1 means Multi-Setting Military and Police Laser-Experimental design 1.
                  Last edited by Exile; 10-06-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                    I figure Webb is on the ship for one of a few reasons:

1: Saw Cook was in need of a pilot, recognized the name as someone who had a reputation in the Alliance for being a "good man."

2: Cook being in need of a Pilot heard about Webb and recognized Webb's name and sought him out.

3: Webb being in need of work saw Cook advertising for need of a Pilot and won out the job by impressing cook with his skills. Neither really recognizes the other, but they recognize the demeanor of a former alliance military man in one another.
                    Quoth Chanlin View Post
                    Unless Exile has an objection I'ma go with option 3 for Webb. As in: Webb got the job as Pilot by answering a help wanted ad. Webb and Cook recognize the military bearing/lifestyle in one another but don't really recognize the other.

With that being the case we still need to settle on ship type and name, unless that has been decided and I just missed it
                    While I wouldn't normally have a problem with option three, there is one problem. Being former military, and an officer no less, Zhan would likely do a background check, spotting him as military and the likelihood of the CO leaving out that no Independent soldiers were killed on the ship Captain Cook would only see an insubordinate unless he had a reason to dig further after the initial report. As a result it seems more likely that Zhānmǔsī would have known of Tucker being a pilot who came from a long like of military men who uncharacteristically deserted. Having heard he was now looking for work he would check into his background and the circumstances involved. Finding he was dishonorably discharged and finding it suspect he would look more into the exact nature of his insubordination. Finding that it was based on an unwillingness to fire on a civilian vessel and Cook's background in disaster relief and reconstruction beliefs would find him an optimal pilot to suit his needs. He would then place an ad on the planet where "Spider" was currently residing and wait for him to answer. In order to keep him at ease he would never admit that he knows about his discharge or desertion and never mention it, feigning ignorance if Webber ever came clean about it.
                    Last edited by Exile; 10-06-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

We'll probably begin later this week. Still waiting to see if we'll pick up at least one other player, preferably a gun-hand or something. We can skip an official 'first mate' role, for now, perhaps. Figure that out later.

Exile-- I like the Mercy Laser. (And yeah, I'll probably simplify things for me and just call it by that name.) Good choice, and well thought out, its settings and drawbacks.

Something to bear in mind-- personnel records and archives and whatnot are not going to be so easy to get into for ex-military guys like Zhan. Even if he left on his own terms, his access to records would have been terminated. Calling in favors with people who still have that access only goes so far.

I'll need to reacquire my Firefly sourcebooks to refresh on the ship types, I seem to have misplaced my PDFs for them.

If we haven't gotten any other bites from interested parties by next Sunday, I'll throw up a quick gun-hand type to fill the role.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

if you send me an email I have copies of the PDFs of the source books, and a few extras...exile and I were in a game here in town few years ago.

Comment

oh...any kinda background check on Sama, will reveal just a few minor warnings, mostly bored mischief while in port with parents. nothing more serious then being in the wrong place/off limits.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                            if you send me an email I have copies of the PDFs of the source books, and a few extras...exile and I were in a game here in town few years ago.
                            I have copies of them, too, I just don't have access to them easily here at work. I have to find a way to get them somewhere I can d/l them on the network here. (Google Drive and most other file-sharing sites like that are blocked here at work.)
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Something to bear in mind-- personnel records and archives and whatnot are not going to be so easy to get into for ex-military guys like Zhan. Even if he left on his own terms, his access to records would have been terminated. Calling in favors with people who still have that access only goes so far.
                              I'd argue that's half true. The information as to why he was discharged would be available. The rest however wouldn't be readily available, however some information that would give leads to follow would. Who his CO, next of kin could easily be found, and not everything is classified, and eventually things deemed unimportant become declassified. Yes it would take a lot of legwork, but in an age with an interplanetary internet and illegal broadcast points like Mr. Universe's it's not impossible to get that information, just depends on how bad you want it. In the end it is up to you how much Zhan could find out, but I ask that you not dismiss it out of hand. After all, it could add an interesting layer to interelations between our characters.

Comment

I think we should all look into possibilites for what ship to use, I have myself an will later post some suggestions once I am done compiling all of them.
                                As to the ship's name I have a couple of suggestions;
                                Dān lì, (translated from Endeavour, Captain James Cook's first command http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook)
                                Astroner (or some variation adding an adjective) (sci-fi update to one of the most common ship names of Earth-That-Was)
                                The Ally (a reference to Alliance origins and also a friendly name to put people at ease)
                                Deucalion (the name of Prometheus' son, Prometheus here refering to the ark ship that settled Burnadette my character's homeworld)
                                The Illustrious (ok I might be spitballing here)
                                Josselyn (feminisation of the series creator's name, definitely spitballing now)

Anyone else got any ideas post them.
                                Last edited by Exile; 10-07-2013, 05:54 AM. Reason: Slight error

Comment

Working...
                                X