This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gurus -- I need you again...

I have no idea where to start here. I have an Ubuntu Linux machine with two HDDs in it. It's a newer Linux version (19, I think, I'll have to look) The primary drive works fine, but I have one named ThreeT (for Three Terabyte).

I have (or had, anyway) this drive "shared out" to my Windows network. The problem is, for some reason, I can no longer access it via my Windows network. And when I go to my Linux file explorer (whatever it's called, I forget) I can see the drive, but when I click on it to access it, the tab name shows "ThreeT1" (a 1 is appended). I can access the files there, but only on my Linux computer, not from my Windows one.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm hoping that the drive isn't becoming corrupted or something.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I would presume that whatever caused the name to be changed has broken whatever sharing or link association made the drive accessible from Windows. Can you rename it back so it loses the 1?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      I would presume that whatever caused the name to be changed has broken whatever sharing or link association made the drive accessible from Windows. Can you rename it back so it loses the 1?
      I don't know how.

What's weird is when I pull up the file explorer in Linux, the drive is listed as ThreeT.

However, when I click on ThreeT in Linux, and it opens in a new tab, it opens as ThreeT1.

I wish I knew some command or something to fix it.

Comment

If the mountpoint got renamed, the Samba would not be able to find it.

If you are familiar with the linux command line, run "df -hP"
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          If the mountpoint got renamed, the Samba would not be able to find it.

If you are familiar with the linux command line, run "df -hP"
          Thanks! That certainly appears to be the case.

The entry shows something like this:

/dev/sda1 <size> <used> <available> /media/<my name>/ThreeT1

So how do I fix it?
          Last edited by mjr; 05-25-2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Ok, back to this thread...

in /media/my_username there are three directories listed:

ThreeT1, ThreeT, and disk

The problem is, I didn't create ThreeT1. I just restarted the machine one day (I think after an update or something) and it was there, and I could no longer access ThreeT.

If I look at the permissions for ThreeT, it shows the owner and group as "root".

Under Access Control, Owner is set to "View and modify folder content", but Group and Other are set to "Forbidden", and I'm not able to change them, because I get a "permission denied" message when I try to.

So is there a way I can fix this without deleting files? What I'd like to do is either fix ThreeT, or to delete ThreeT and re-name ThreeT1 to ThreeT.

I'd like to do this before I do the upgrades I'm talking about in the other thread.

Comment

This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                Awesome! That pointed me in the right direction and got me back where I needed to be!

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                X