This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling Emergencies?

It sure where to put this - Mods, please move if necessary. Classmate posted in Facebook this morning that he wouldn't be in class today, and possibly not Thursday, either. Okay. Family emergency. More than understandable. Then he mentioned that his daughter was being scheduled for an emergency appendectomy for either tonight or tomorrow. Buwha?

I was under the impression that emergency appendectomies were just that - emergencies. As in being rushed to an OR before that little thing blows.

My understanding is sometimes the patient needs to be in a more stable condition before cutting open. Or they are waiting on a confirmation test result to come back. Maybe even the combination of the two.

Comment

ABC news had this story last night about wildly different costs on individual procedures from hospital to hospital. Except they used appendectomy to compare costs and I had the same reaction as above: you really can't shop around when you need one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/medical...0#.T5dUxdWGKSo
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

when my son was diagnosed with an appendicitis - we had to wait for the surgeon to come over after all his appointments & that gave them time to get some serious pain medication on board as well as multiple bags of fluid because he was so dehydrated. I wasn't sure at the time if it was going to be that night or middle of the night. Usually once it's done kids go home pretty fast, but my son was the exception. He had a high fever after the surgery and they couldn't get his heart rate under control. So he was in for 2 full days after the surgery.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
        RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
          It sure where to put this - Mods, please move if necessary. Classmate posted in Facebook this morning that he wouldn't be in class today, and possibly not Thursday, either. Okay. Family emergency. More than understandable. Then he mentioned that his daughter was being scheduled for an emergency appendectomy for either tonight or tomorrow. Buwha?

I was under the impression that emergency appendectomies were just that - emergencies. As in being rushed to an OR before that little thing blows.
          I think you can catch the infection at an earlier stage, which gives the hospital time to get the patient stable and get all their ducks in a row before the surgery. The only time it's a desperate emergency is if the appendix has already ruptured or is about to. That's the point where they rush you into the O.R. the second you walk through the door.

Comment

When I had appendicitis, I was in the hospital for 4 days before my surgery. Largely because I have a serious medical condition and they had to look up what anesthetics were safe, and also because they were hoping antibiotics would clear up the infection so I wouldn't need surgery.

So if they catch it early enough, they can afford a little time to get your system rehydrated or started on antibiotics before surgery. If they don't catch it until it ruptures or is about to, you get in right away.

Comment

An emergency is just something unexpected but serious. I had an emergency c-section but I was in the hospital/labor for 30 hours beforehand. Like others have said, if they can they get them stable first. It's usually serious trauma like gun shots that go right in but even then they have to be somewhat stable. My OR rotations saw a few surgeries that were sent up from the ER.

Comment

My cousin had to wait overnight for tests when she had hers done when she was 12 years old.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

So far I still have my appendix. I'm really hoping it never blows on me

My kids still have theirs too.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I had my appendicitis attack at 4:30 on Saturday morning. I saw my GP on Monday, who referred me to a gyno on Tuesday morning. I was in surgery for an exploratory about an hour after the gyno saw me. He said another hour and it would have burst.

It could be that the parent has a high suspicion of appendicitis, but need to get it confirmed, first. I had absolutely no idea it was my appendix.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My brother's appendix actually ruptured and formed a bubble of an infection that needed to be drained. When he was released from the hospital, he had to wait a couple of weeks before he could go back and have the organ itself removed.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Well, assuming it hasn't ruptured yet, I imagine they'd want to get in a surgeon with experience rather than whoever happened to be staffing the er at dark oclock in the morning.

Comment

Not trying to be rude, but why is this your concern?

As for the poor kid...appendectomies suck!

Comment

Working...
                          X