This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    my un-named dish that consists of a pot of macaroni, canned tomatoes, canned corn, spices, & some ground beef or turkey.
    Sounds like goulash.

Comment

Regarding freezing things wrapped in foil, I will suggest wrapping them first in plastic wrap, and then in foil. Whatever you wrap it in will get into all the nooks and crannies of whatever you're freezing, and when you try to unwrap it, if it's wrapped just in foil, the foil will tear every which way and get stuck in the frozen nooks and crannies. And then you will have to wait for whatever you're taking out to thaw completely in order to remove the foil. Plastic wrap is MUCH easier to remove when it's directly on the frozen food. So wrap in plastic, then in foil, then in a big zip-top bag.

Comment

Maggie, does waxed paper work as well?

Also, I am reminded of a couple of things here:
        --Potatoes can be baked in a crockpot. Wrap in foil and pile 'em in there. I don't remember the temp/time, but a quick google search will get the info ("crockpot baked potatoes").
        --The meal-sized Pyrexes are available for less than $5 each at Wallyworld. I love them. They can go from freezer to microwave. Also, you can bake individual casseroles or pies in them, then freeze. I have shopped around; Wallyworld has a better price than Target, every time I check.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 03-28-2012, 06:35 AM.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Maggie, does waxed paper work as well?
          I would think so, but I've never actually tried it.

Okay, I did a quick bit of research and according to this link, wax paper is not suitable for freezing since it's not moisture/vapor resistant. But I would think using it as an underwarp and then putting a layer of aluminum over it and putting it in a zip-top baggie would be okay, since the baggie would provide moisture/vapor resistance. The underwrap (parchment/wax paper, plastic wrap, etc) is just there to make unwrapping the produce easier.

Edit to add: My dad used to hunt deer and I am almost positive that he used some sort of wax paper to wrap the individual steaks in, before putting them in a zip-top bag. I did read on other articles that wax/parchment paper is good for separating steaks or chops if you're planning on freezing multiple pieces of meat, so they don't freeze together.

Comment

Sorry--that's what I meant: waxed paper under foil. Or maybe parchment. I make waffles and freeze them, and they always stick together.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Just a quick update:

My uncle called me last night to let me know 1) thanks 2) looks yummy 3)apparently others had the same idea and he's set for the next month

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                Wallyworld has a better price than Target, every time I check.
                Shopko is having a killer sale on Pyrex right now.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                X