This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can fly a jet...

But don't expect much else in the way of well, anything!

I figure I can throw this in here as it happened just a few minutes ago while I'm at work. See, per my current job in the Navy, I have the misfortune to work with Fighter Pilots.
    This can mostly run to the amusing as these gentlemen are rather clueless when it comes to anything outside of piloting.
    But every now and then you end up with something like the following:

(For background- Our pilots utilize 8mm tapes, which obviously need to be rewound. We are currently on a training detachment and brought our crap with us. It was only yesterday, however, that we recieved an advanced tape player. Think of a DVD player, only for tapes.)

M: Me, here at the computer at my desk.
    CC: Captain Clueless (Not a real captain, more of a gormless idiot commonly known as a LTJG.)

CC: *Suddenly stops by the door and sticks his head in.*
    "So did we finally get a tape rewinder in?"
    M: "Yes sir, someone brought out a portable tape player."
    CC: *Expectant look.* "So all the tapes are rewound?"
    M: "Sorry sir, I havent a clue."
    CC: *Hesitates with this overly long pause of pauses before walking off with a confused look.*

Sorry gentlemen, my job at this point is to quite frankly, baby-sit the inventory.
    I will assist in other things, but usually only as a courtesy. In this particular case, it's on YOU to rewind your own tapes. I am not the magical ENLISTED MAN! who does everything for the officers because they're to damn lazy to do it themselves.

It was almost amusing, he looked so lost after I told him I didn't know. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected, because although he may be an officer, he's still a Junior Officer, and these guys get some rather "interesting" notions as to what perks actually come with their rank versus what perks they think they're entitled to.
    Waiter? ... Waiter?
    Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

I so wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was growing up. Bah...glasses took care of that for me.

Regarding ensigns, my dad would say that some of them were lucky to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.

Comment

My wife was in the navy. While on duty 2 different nights she recieved calls that the system they were using wasn't working. She was an enlisted person helping officers in these 2 cases.

The systems that would not work were TURNED OFF! All she did was push the power button and they turned on and worked! How amazing is that.

I am not surprised by the conduct or stupidity of some military officers. I know there are a lot of cool ones out there, as well as some cool senior enlisted people.

Comment

HAHAHA...this sounds like some tales a friend in the Navy has told me. He swears that no officer should be allowed to touch the computer equipment. It's worse than cleaning up after kids when he was a school district tech.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Like just about all intelligent enlisted personal (& 98% of the intelligent officers) I hate JG's with a passion (& I've been out of the Navy for over 20 years!!) The majority are stupid brainless twits that think graduating officers school gave them the ability to be right about everything. arrggghh!!!

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
            See, per my current job in the Navy, I have the misfortune to work with Fighter Pilots.
            I used to work with Navy fighter pilots. Their antics were amazing. Anything you say about them, I will believe.

In the meantime, check out the online comic Air Force Blues.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
            X