Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a fairly new arrival, I'd be sad to see the site go away -- at this point, it's well-known and long-standing enough to qualify as part of the history of the Internet. And it includes quite a bit of useful advice and examples for dealing with SCs, so it's something of a public resource to boot.

Unfortunately, I haven't a hope of being able to buy it out myself, but I hope you'd at least consider selling the site in toto to some group that would maintain it. Two thoughts occur to me in this vein:
    (1) Perhaps collective contributions (Kickstarter/Patreon?) would let you set up a foundation or trust for it, with subscriptions to cover the ongoing costs.
    (2) Alternatively, one of the other existing sites, such as "Not Always Right", might be willing to buy you out.
    (3) Someone upthread did say they had the money to do it; I'll note for them that if some of the existing staff come along, the funder doesn't actually need to be a major techie -- just competent enough to be capable of holding the reins, and willing to de-wheel an admin if they get badly out of line.

I also don't have a Facebook account, and really would rather not have one for all sorts of reasons.

Comment

BTW, is anyone else a little bit confused by this statement?
      someone who can develop the place and make it live again.
      I personally am quite happy with the site the way it is right now, not sure what anyone else thinks.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        BTW, is anyone else a little bit confused by this statement?

I personally am quite happy with the site the way it is right now, not sure what anyone else thinks.
        I don't know about others; but it does feel like activity is lower than it was in the past. Could just be shifting preferences, especially as Message board activity shifts to other places like FB and Reddits.

I would hope that if someone does keep the site going, that board software upgrades would be in the works. Another board I know upgraded and is using modern Xenofora software which feels really nice and flexible nowadays.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          Would you use the same name? I don't really comment there, but I read it every day. I'll look for ya'.
          I dunno. Maybe something different. I have a few ideas <_>
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
            I don't know about others; but it does feel like activity is lower than it was in the past. Could just be shifting preferences, especially as Message board activity shifts to other places like FB and Reddits.
            I think that's what Raps was getting at. Someone new could overhaul the design, cull some of the lesser used forums, do a little more to get the word out about us, redesign the homepage, etc, etc.

I would be MORE than happy to donate to a gofundme or other effort to keep this place going. $150/month is a bit rich for me but I could definitely contribute financially as well as time. Please, anyone and everyone, consider me available to assist with any efforts to carry this place forward.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I have very little time or money to help out, but I do know how to put funding campaigns together. Maybe we could set up some kind of donation system for people who post regularly who want to help out with costs? I'm sure one of the mods (or several) might be willing to help with admin.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Noted....Stay calm, and burn all the evidence,
                "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Activity is down year on year - that's what I mean there. The place needs someone with the time and energy to get it jumping again.

Rapscallion

Comment

Been here almost 9 years, hope someone takes it over intact. This announcement comes roughly a month after another board I was on "went dark" with no warning.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

And Cute Overload is gone!
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        And Cute Overload is gone!
                        Not guilty on that one.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          Not guilty on that one.

Rapscallion
                          Don't worry, I wasn't blaming you. Just sharing my anguish. I don't like change.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Does this potential sale apply to Fratching, too?
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Well they say all good things must come to an end. I'm just sad one of them might be this place. I hope someone takes it up because I was planning on using you all for some market research on a business idea I have once I am clear of all the legal troubles I'm having.
                              -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                                Does this potential sale apply to Fratching, too?
                                Depends on the approach taken by whoever takes over. One of the reasons I gave six weeks notice is that it means any potentially interested parties can come forward, and if they want to keep it the same then I would likely discuss that as an option. If that's not an option, I would either put that domain up for sale or just let it expire.

What happens from here on depends on the sort of interest shown and by whom. I can confirm I've been in contact with a number of people thus far and I'm doing my best to be as honest with them as possible. My preference would be for someone to take over and end up keeping the place going, whether with a trim of the posts for the sake of the DB or whatever they want to do.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                                X