This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
    She reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once: "I'm not saying get rid of all the stupid people, just remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."
    The problem with that bumper sticker is it assumes the stupid peole are even bothering to READ the labels...

I find it unlikely. There is some other force keeping the stupid people alive...

Comment

Quoth Sulhythal View Post
      There is some other force keeping the stupid people alive...
      Fate? I heard once that it protects fools, little children, and something else.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
        fools small children and drunks/stoneys I think. I remember that Steven King used that line in the novel version of IT in the modern day during the savage storm when IT is being "killed" below ground and Standpipe rolls onto its side and rolls down the hill as witnessed by one of the towns stonies.

There are other variations of this saying such as: God protects fools children and the USA
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          According to her the bags aren't 'real cloth' so can't ever go in the washer (what happened to hosing them down with the showerhead?).
          Is the woman unfamiliar with the concept of "hand washing?"

And "real cloth?" I'm sorry, but WTF does she define as "real cloth?" Even my partner's linen undergarments for re-enactment have survived a trip through the washing machine...

Comment

She may mean non-woven? I prefer woven myself, because of this issue. Still doesn't address the quality of construction. But all other things being equal, woven is stronger than non-woven, and I HAVE had both fall apart under a too heavy load.

That said, my library book bag is a woven canvas that doesn't wash well, but I've reattached the handles well over 6 times, and its now time to re-enforce some of the seams, as they're coming undone. But I got it free with a gardening book well over 25 years ago!

And caustic is going in a plastic liner that I can throw away when I get home. Because, Jesus christ, I don't want that bumming around the house or my car!

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
              Is the woman unfamiliar with the concept of "hand washing?"
              A lot of people frequenting my old store were/are unfamiliar with the concept...never was that more clear than flu season.

I just discovered that the hall-tree storage bench is full of reusable bags. So that's the secret breeding ground...
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                Well, depending on the AGE of the lino... I once rented an apartment with lino of unknown age in the kitchen, and it smeared whenever it got wet... No caustic materials needed! Not wonderful, and impossible to keep clean.
                Be very careful with old linoleum or vinyl flooring. When we bought our house in Phoenix, we had to have professionals remove the flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms because it was made with asbestos.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've read that before. I haven't seen any since that apartment (and that was in 1979!), so it's moot for me personally.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    Be very careful with old linoleum or vinyl flooring. When we bought our house in Phoenix, we had to have professionals remove the flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms because it was made with asbestos.
                    I understand that issue all too well. my kitchen and bathroom floors are vinyl (??)and I am VERY unsure of their age. Now all I have to worry about is the insulation (house built in 1940) in the walls and upstairs behind the knee wall for my half story.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Heh. The water heater in our old condo let go one day. (While my wife was interviewing for a job over the phone, from home!) Soaked the floor among other things, and we found out when the "remediation company" started to deal with it that one of the layers of linoleum had asbestos in it.

That meant a second company had to come in to remove it, and it was a rather involved process. They effectively sealed the room off with plastic, then installed a fan to lower the pressure in the sealed room so any leaks would be into the room and not carry fibers out. And the guy who went in (small room, only one would fit) had on the full bunny-suit and mask with external air supply and everything.

All the stuff they took out, asbestos or not, got double-bagged. As did the plastic and bunny suits and so on.

It was a whole lot of work, and not overly cheap! Thank heaven our insurance paid for it--and for the damage the water caused to our downstairs neighbors!!
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Quite a few dry laundry products will cheerfully eat holes in your skin...
                        Cleaning chemicals will do that too. From personal experience, oven cleaner (such as Easy-Off), and Castrol Super Clean--both of which I sometimes use to strip paint from plastic model parts--can cause nasty chemical burns. I got very lucky in that all it did was dry out my hands and make them itch for a bit. Could have been much worse, and yes, I was wearing rubber gloves at the time.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

On occasion the housekeeping staff will leave chemical spray bottles in and around the warehouse and grocery pallets (although we just had a health inspection last week, so their shenanigans should stop for a while)...unlabeled, generic spray bottles (only marking is "cleaning solution"--no indication what kind of solution). The yellow liquid in one of them ate holes in my gloves when I picked it up (the bottle itself was leaking) and that hand itched for the rest of my shift even after repeated washings.

One of my CWs is using the empty cartons from industrial dishwashing tablets for storing backstock
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

HSK at my hotel likes to put glasscleaner and such in bottles with other labels. Reported it to big bossman and they got their asses chewed.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                              "Fate. Protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." Commander Riker, Star Trek TNG Season 2 Episode 11 "Contagion"

why yes I am a dedicated Trekkie, why do you ask? And why are you looking at me funny?

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                                Fools, children, and drunkards. There actually is an old truth in the saying, but it depends on knowing that "fool" used to mean what we more recently called "retarded", and lately "developmentally disabled".

The thing is, children, drunk folks, and many retarded folks, all have one thing in common: relaxed muscles. As it turns out, that helps a lot when dealing with falls and similar impacts (probably including modern auto accidents).

Comment

Working...
                                X