X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substitute for bananas in baking?

So, I want to make this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oh-My-G...ns/Detail.aspx

Problem: I'm allergic to bananas. There are several reviews (I admit, I didn't read all of them, just the ones on the main page) that say they used applesauce instead of butter. I'm wondering if applesauce could work instead of bananas. Any thoughts?

i dont think apple SAUCE would be a good substitute

you need something soft so i would say actual apples (lightly cooked say on a frying pan then mushed) would work
    the sauce might make it too moist because it would have much more water in it
    also mango might work too (all mushed up)

or strawberrys

Comment

You can use apple sauce as long as it more like mashed apples and not a runny sauce.
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Or, if you like pumpkin and aren't allergic, what about pumpkin puree? I loves pumpkin so that's my go to substitute for most things in baking, if I want lots of flavor. Applesauce to sub for oil and eggs, mostly.

<Ponders making pumpkin bread now>

Comment

Ooh! I don't know why I didn't think of pumpkin myself. I love it and have been looking for ways to use it more often. That's a great idea. I also like the idea of just softening up some apples in a saute pan and using that. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Comment

I have a great substitute for bananas that should work since they are cousins of bananas: plantains. They are very banana-like in both texture and taste. I myself have a (minor) allergy to bananas, and have never had a single problem with plantains.

Of course. there are some things to consider:

--you may not have plantains in your area stores.
            --you may be allergic to them as well.
            --they may not actually act the same way as bananas in your recipe. I don't bake, and have never cooked with plantains, so I can't comment on this one.

But that all aside, I can think of no greater substitute for bananas then the mighty plantain.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X