This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Quiz, Pop Shot!

Your car just lurched to a stop in the middle of an intersection. Pursuant to the unexpected stoppage of the engine, you've noticed some rather thick smoke starting to pour out from under the hood. Within a few short moments, there are bright orange FLAMES rolling out from under the hood, and soon out from the grille and fenderwells too, as the heat causes those parts of the bodywork to MELT AWAY.

You wisely evacuate the vehicle, pull out your cellphone, and decide that your best option is to call someone.

Who do you call?

A. The fire department

B. The police department

C. Our garage's service department and ask if they can look at your car today... because it's just caught fire....

If you did NOT guess "C", congratulations, you are smarter than this particular person was.

Now, fortunately for the heroine of this story, some of the passing motorists who witnessed the towering inferno her Ford Taurus had become wisely chose option "A" and got the fire brigade rolling to the scene.

Our driver still managed to beat them to the scene, but had no choice but to wait for their arrival as by then, the car was fully engulfed. By the time it was out, the front end was a mass of mozzarella-like melted plastic, the dash was sagging like a soggy banana and the windshield had caved in, allowing smoke, ash and water to blow into the passenger's compartment and tint all the windows from the inside-out....

The car was, quite literally, toast.

So we towed it back to the garage and put it in the "wreck" section of the lot, figuring the only thing to do now is wait for the insurance adjustor to arrive and officially sign the death certificate.

Imagine our surprise (or, maybe non-surprise depending on how cynical you feel) when the owner showed up an hour later and wanted to know if the mechanics had been able to look at it yet and get her an estimate....

Can't say she isn't optimistic
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Aaaack.

Thank goodness most people aren't that bad.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I ran this past The Wife. She passed. Then again, she has experience. Her '76 Ford Granada became Car-B-Q.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Actually, it sounds like it can be fixed - if you want to pour in more money than a new car would cost...
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

"Whoa! Bitchin' Flame job, man! ... Ohhhh....."

(bonus points if you can quote the reference)

Comment

OMG the first time I've logged on in a week and I don't think anything else can top that. I can't believe anyone still breathing can be that stupid.

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              Actually, it sounds like it can be fixed - if you want to pour in more money than a new car would cost...
              The repair is really simple. Three steps.

1. Remove Gas cap
              2. Replace car
              3. Reinstall Gas cap

The last step is optional.
              Save the Ales!

Comment

I understand not really having the funds for a new car, and wanting desperately to salvage the one you have, but...that's just beyond desperation, beyond stupidity, beyond ignorance. In fact, I almost wouldn't believe anyone could BE that stupid...except I've read enough stories here and worked enough years behind a cash register to know better!
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I'd say idiot of the year, but I don't know....there are mechanics on this board, do you folks this thing is salvageable? Or worth it if it is?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"Yeah, it's salvageable.. Oh wait, you mean you didn't want it rotting in your back yard and instead wanted to DRIVE it? Hmmm"

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Imagine our surprise (or, maybe non-surprise depending on how cynical you feel) when the owner showed up an hour later and wanted to know if the mechanics had been able to look at it yet and get her an estimate....
                      What part of "molten lump of plastic and metal" is she not comprehending?!

My brother's car was set on fire (I don't remember the circumstances or if they caught the culprit, probably some bored mischief-maker). All that was left was a small lump of twisted melted metal (that used to be the engine block!) that could easily fit in my hand. Yeah, just take that to a mechanic and ask if they can fix it.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

You would be surprised by the amount of damage that can be fixed (and I use "fixed" loosely). It will look good, but the problems you will have. It will becomes on of those cars that Car Fax warns you about.
                        Save the Ales!

Comment

Fires total cars, the amount of damage they can do in as little as 2 minutes can exceed the replacement value of the car several times over. Look at your average car, and note that excepting metal and glass, EVERYTHING ELSE you see, the bumpers, headlights, sometimes even the hood, the wiring, the dash, the seats, all that stuff is highly flammable. That which isn't directly destroyed is irreparably contaminated with soot, the stink of molten plastic and whatever chemical agents were used to douse it.

Rule of thumb, if the fire wasn't put out within 30 seconds of starting, the car will be a total loss.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Oh sure, it can be salvaged. Just need:
                            new engine
                            new front end
                            new body panels
                            new bumper
                            new interior
                            new glass
                            new dash
                            new steering wheel
                            new heating/ac
                            presumably new tires

All in all, it should total out to much more than a replacement car would cost.
                            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I recall reading somewhere that if you were to buy all the parts needed to assemble a $15,000 car from the parts counter (e.g., for repair), it would run you over $100,000. So yeah, anything's possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X