This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taskbar problems

I've got an issue where the window icons on my task bar aren't focusing properly when I click on them, and I'm not able to bring up a right-click menu on them either. The rest of the taskbar works fine, as does everything else on the system.

I'm trying to avoid doing a reformat at all costs, since I want to see how long I can go without one by patching up and fixing the OS instead of copping out, and I'm pretty sure what I messed up, but I don't have the info handy to fix it with.

To that end, if someone could post up the content of the following Registry directory from their system (edited to hide any 3rd party progs you don't want to show, of course) I'd be very grateful:

HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

I'm pretty sure I accidentally deleted a key I shouldn't have when I was cleaning out all traces of the virus mentioned in my last thread, and if I can figure out what it was and re-enter it, I'm pretty sure that'll fix the problem.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

JustADude, that registry tree will never have any critical system. The only microsoft "run" key I have is KernelFaultCheck: %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

The rest are my start-ups. Like firewall, sound manager, printer driver manager, etc....

You might want to dig into your services, something might be screwed up in there. Which of course is a real pita to fix. I wouldn't be surprise if a virus slipped a service in there that's crapping out and causing problems.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Well, I fixed it. I'm not sure exactly WHAT was wrong, still, but there were more keys in the HKEY_Current_User/.../Run tree that had the - in front of them, and one or two that turned up as "suspicious and unnecessary" on a web search. I deleted those and fixed the bolloxed keys, and one of those things fixed the problem.

The system is working fine now, and lets hope it stays that way... though since one of my friends has gotten his hands on an unlimited-license, OEM copy of Vista Ultimate through an inside source, I'm hearing the call of the dark side to upgrade.
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Hmmm...Dark side.

I hear they have candy
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post
          Hmmm...Dark side.

I hear they have candy
          I believe it's cookies.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I went ahead and bit the bullet, since I wasn't having to pay anything, and I like fiddling with systems... and I'm not finding it all that bad.

The tower is a gaming grig, so I've got 3gb of high-speed RAM, a 2.2GHz Athlon 64, and a GeForce 7800 GS graphics card, which means that any "resource hog" tendencies are slipping right past me without my noticing, and the DirX-10 stuff is actually making my games run much more smoothly than on XP even with the higher overhead.

Comment

Working...
            X