This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non scio ...

I spent some time today in Lawn & Garden (greenhouse).

Customer: "Do you have [Latin name] and [Latin name] in single pots or just in arrangements?

Me:

Fucked if I know, lady.

I pointed her towards the department manager, who was visible in the distance.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Someone is showing off
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Or possibly, SUPER tired of asking for said plants by common name, and getting something entirely different than what she wanted. If you garden, and are serious about it, i.e. serious but amateur, using the Latin names makes it much more likely that you get what you want. Common names are hideous when it comes to identifying a plant.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
        Or possibly, SUPER tired of asking for said plants by common name, and getting something entirely different than what she wanted. If you garden, and are serious about it, i.e. serious but amateur, using the Latin names makes it much more likely that you get what you want. Common names are hideous when it comes to identifying a plant.
        Yeah, I'll have some bluets, buttercups, and daisies please!

Comment

I live in California, in San Jose. I garden, even in an apartment. I have a creeping charlie that is a LOVELY house plant, green and glossy, grows amazingly. Doesn't need much care, just a haircut a few times a year. Here were I live, I've never seen it in the ground, just in pots. Standing, or hanging, indoors or out. I have shared probably 2 dozen rooted babies off this thing, to other plantaholics or to newbies, etc. It grows, it's happy, it's all good.

BUT. If you Google Creeping Charlie, you get something else, that looks similar, but is super invasive in other parts of the country. I don't know which parts because every time I realize I found 'that one' I close it and keep hunting for my plant. It's not being stuck up, it's being fussy!

My plant: Plectranthus verticillatus Google knows it by Swedish Ivy, which I have never heard it called here in California. North or South.
          Not my plant: Glechoma hederacea I've only seen this one online, never in real life. Reviled online.

Comment

Oh, hai naybor! *waves*

I'm a few miles NW of you, it seems. (About an hour's drive during commute times?)
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

When l googled Creeping Charlie l got a lot of results many of which were not plants.Or suitable for human eyes...
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Safe search is your friend, But it does make searching a tad bit more boring

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  Oh, hai naybor! *waves*

I'm a few miles NW of you, it seems. (About an hour's drive during commute times?)
                  Sooo, 15 minutes at 7:30 Sunday morning; 1-2 hours M-F 3-6 p.m.!

Comment

Spoken like a local!!
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                    X