Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to give an employment counsellor heart failure ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to give an employment counsellor heart failure ...

... walk up and ask, in genuine ignorance, how you should enter your Facebook URL on a job application form ...

Employment Counsellor:

Me: "Um, okay, so I won't fill that in, then ..."

It's listed as "optional", as is the space for your Twitter URL and your LinkedIn URL ...

This is a mega-corporation, by the way, not some mom-and-pop little place.

I'd like to plead ignorance because I have never EVER been asked for that before.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    ... It's listed as "optional", as is the space for your Twitter URL and your LinkedIn URL ...
    I'd give them the VueToob of my proctological exam instead.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thaaaat's not a good sign. Make sure everything is locked down and the public parts of your social media are pure as the driven snow, 'cause if they're asking for those URLs you know they're going to be Googling you as part of the assessment process!

Also, don't accept any unexpected friend requests. :P

At least they didn't demand your login passwords.

Comment

Employment counsellor told me it's illegal to begin with, which further astounded me since this IS a large corporation ...

My name is common enough that if they try to Google me before they've even met me, well, good luck with that. There's a fair number of us out there.

Even after they've met me ... I don't have my personal photo on Facebook. Anywhere. Obviously there's many who do, and they can be dismissed immediately but ... the rest will simply be guesswork.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

LinkedIn URL I can understand (since it is meant to be for that purpose), but the other two....yeah no.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
            LinkedIn URL I can understand (since it is meant to be for that purpose), but the other two....yeah no.
            Yeah, I can understand that one too. Unfortunately I've been locked out of my LinkedIn account for years and although they've sent me the info on how to get back in, I haven't bothered to do so yet, nor to open a new one. So they could probably find me if they troubled to search for me ... but the info on there is 10-15 years old.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yeah that's a big fat nope. I don't provide social media links, except linkedIn. Screw that, that's my personal life and none of their business.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

No way I'm giving that info to anyone. They can have my linkedin. That's all.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  Screw that, that's my personal life and none of their business.
                  Agreed. I would deny having any such a presence, except for Linkedin.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeah, I've been asked for those on applications.

I'll give them my LinkedIn, since that's for professional purposes.

They aren't getting anything else.

My name is common enough that they couldn't tie it with any certainty to any one account, and my Facebook is locked down pretty tight with regards to public viewability (and I never, EVER add anyone I don't know, everyone I add is either someone I know IRL, or someone I've dealt with online for years and know better than some people I've met in meatspace).

Comment

I don't actually have a Facebook account, but anyplace that asks for social-media accounts is not someplace I want to work.

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                        Thaaaat's not a good sign. Make sure everything is locked down and the public parts of your social media are pure as the driven snow, 'cause if they're asking for those URLs you know they're going to be Googling you as part of the assessment process!

Also, don't accept any unexpected friend requests. :P

At least they didn't demand your login passwords.
                        That last one would've been a "Fuck off right there" request.

Oddly, I've applied to other sites of this same company and I don't remember them having that on their application sites.

Quoth silverstaff View Post
                        *snip*

My name is common enough that they couldn't tie it with any certainty to any one account, and my Facebook is locked down pretty tight with regards to public viewability (and I never, EVER add anyone I don't know, everyone I add is either someone I know IRL, or someone I've dealt with online for years and know better than some people I've met in meatspace).
                        Mostly similar here (I'm a blonde real estate agent in Georgia? When did that happen?? )

I have occasionally accepted friend invites on FB from total unknowns and have been 99% lucky in that there have been no unpleasant incidents. I had one open a chat and immediately launch into a sad story about how their family was STARRRRVING (and you're online instead of out in the streets looking for food because why ... ? Instant blockage there.)

Mostly they are either people I personally know or friends of longtime online friends.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I actually sent an FR (that was accepted) to someone who had the same name as someone I knew a long time ago. And I had the same name as someone that person knew long ago.

They were two entirely different people. But we have things in common (KITTIES!!), so he's still an FB friend now.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                            Employment counsellor told me it's illegal to begin with, which further astounded me since this IS a large corporation ...

My name is common enough that if they try to Google me before they've even met me, well, good luck with that. There's a fair number of us out there.

Even after they've met me ... I don't have my personal photo on Facebook. Anywhere. Obviously there's many who do, and they can be dismissed immediately but ... the rest will simply be guesswork.
                            I would not be sanguine about that. Mr. Bumbershoot last looked several years ago and found that there were 29 FB pages for his name. 1st, MI, and last. He has often received comments about his weekend activities that he never experienced. Most of which would not be something attractive to a prospective employer.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              I actually sent an FR (that was accepted) to someone who had the same name as someone I knew a long time ago. And I had the same name as someone that person knew long ago.
                              When my brother first signed up for FB, he found someone who had his same first and last name, lived halfway across the country, and worked for the same company. They became fast friends ^__^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X