This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell you what: from now on BRING CASH and go through the 'cash' register

Older lady comes through my line today. Has a small amount of groceries. I ring them up and bag them as she starts the payment process.

She's telling me all about how she's getting a new VISA card and etc. etc. (I can't hear well through the plexiglass shields and so I tend to often "read" the customer's face to figure out what my reaction should be. But chances are good that I don't have a clue what they've actually said.)

I don't know for sure what card she was using.

Anyway ... card doesn't work.

She fumbles it out of the machine and stares at the keypad.

Me: "What's the problem?"

Customer: "It's not working." (*goes off again about how she's getting a replacement VISA card*)

Me: "Um, okay, here, try again."

Same results.

Me: *whips keypad around and looks at it* "You have to use your PIN."

Customer: *blank look* "My what?"

Me: "Your PIN ... your four-digit PIN."

Customer: *mumbles something about not knowing what the PIN for the card is and goes off again about her replacement VISA card*

Meanwhile, the person running the line (directing customers to the various tills) has sent somebody else to my line, because why not ... the customer I'm waiting on has only a moderate amount of groceries so it shouldn't take long, right ....

Customer tries again. Nope.

Me: "Ma'am, you have got to use your PIN. It won't work otherwise."

Customer: *mumble mumble new VISA card mumble*

Me: "Ma'am, does that card have tap?"

Customer: "Um, no, I don't use tap ..." (*mumble mumble new VISA card mumble*)

She puts the card in AGAIN and this time just stands there staring at the keypad, as if she expects some magical force to make it read her card and process the transaction.

I was about to call a supervisor over to suspend the transaction and then THEY could deal with the situation, but finally, FINALLY, she gave up and pulled out a $50 bill and paid with that.

No, I was not on the "cash" till. Absolutely no fucks given. I just wanted her GONE. (I later told the shift supervisor and she didn't care either In fact, throughout my shift, she sent a couple more "cash" customers through my line. I think she was seeing an unusual number of "cash" customers and just wanted to get them out of the store ASAP.)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I bet she was one of those idiots who had a debit card and thought it was a credit card, I used to get those morons on the phone all the time. Debit cards clearly say DEBIT on them but they still have no idea what they have.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

There's also the ones who 'are getting a new card', but insist on using the OLD card, even if they know something's wrong with the old one. (Including damaged cards, as well as "we reported this one as lost, so it's shut off, but we found it and...") But hey, it's all good, as they're getting a NEW card, so the old one should work just fine, right?

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
        There's also the ones who 'are getting a new card', but insist on using the OLD card, even if they know something's wrong with the old one. (Including damaged cards, as well as "we reported this one as lost, so it's shut off, but we found it and...") But hey, it's all good, as they're getting a NEW card, so the old one should work just fine, right?
        OH yes I got these people too. They found the old one, after it's reported lost, and then get mad that it's declined. Never mind all the of the disclosures we read that clearly state the old number is closed and a new one is being issued.

There were also the people who had a new card under the same number issued cause of damage, or it's a natural reissue or whatever. And then IGNORE it and put the NEW card away and continue to use the old one! Morons.

Comment

Some people should just deal in cash all the time. I'm definitely a card girl all the way. But whatever works.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            Some people should just deal in cash all the time. I'm definitely a card girl all the way. But whatever works.
            I'm cards all the way. I pay all my bills with a credit card and then use my paycheck to pay the card, and I use a card for groceries and everything else. I will NOT touch cash right now, and besides with cash there is no protection like there is with cards. But some people can't seem to grasp the concept and definitely use cash, and hope they don't get sick from it.

Comment

Working...
            X