This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lizzie - Haller Landing Markets

Lizzie wanders a bit as she makes her way through the markets with the other crew members, but she makes sure to stay within sight of the others. She smiles brightly at everyone who makes eye contact, but says little beyond exchanging pleasantries when offered. Lizzie keeps an eye out for stalls selling books but declines offers of other goods and... services.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Haller Landing Markets - Trader Jim's and area

On the comm, Mando does tell Zhan, "Some weird guy named Kellins kept poking around. Lookin' for transpo to Faraday. Looks like a bit of a chwen joo, Cap'n." Beat. "Lemme know if you guys find a zither or something like one at a good price."

The merchants in and around Trader Jim's Discount Emporium are the kind that never stop talking, and most of them speak Chinese, and quite rapidly. Papazian himself, however, seems to realize that Zhan is the man in charge of the money, and barrels down on him.

"Hello, my friend, come, come, what is it you are looking for, eh? I promise you, on the head of my dear, sweet, departed wife's mother, that I can find it for you and you can have it at the best price on this rock!" Kevork Papazian wears a tie-less suit of a Core fashion that went out of style before the war, and has impressively white teeth in the recesses of a big bushy beard in twin braids. After greeting Zhan in this fashion, all smiles and cheerfulness, he turns and yells something at a couple of his workers, but he's not speaking in Common or Chinese. Not usual. There are as many languages spoken in the Verse as there are people in it, seems like at times.

Cortex Data

Meridian Heavy Industries is a mining and ore refinement company based around Red Sun, mining the asteroid belt (the 'Motherlode') there. They have several facilities on New Melbourne.

Franklin Brisket is a headhunter. He finds people who need work, or companies that need manpower, and he goes out and finds them. A bit shifty, but a search does reveal that Meridian is looking for miners and other workers, so the job looks legit.

Syman Lerga turns out to just be some mild-looking middle-aged man needing transport to New Melbourne for family business.

Faraday is the other moon of the planet Harvest, also around Red Sun.

Calculating the costs vs available funds reveals that they'll have just enough to cover maintenance/repair/fueling before factoring in pay from the available jobs.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        On the comm, Mando does tell Zhan, "Some weird guy named Kellins kept poking around. Lookin' for transpo to Faraday. Looks like a bit of a chwen joo, Cap'n." Beat. "Lemme know if you guys find a zither or something like one at a good price."
        While talking to Mando he'll inform him, "We may actually be going to near Faraday so you might want to find out more about this Kellins fellow. If you can find out what business he has there and how quickly he needs to get there. If you think he's on the level tell him we should know something within the hour, but make no garuntees. I'll be there with the supplies once I'm done here. I know how you hate being couped up there on your own . . ." Pausing for a moment before adding with knowing sarcasm, "but I'm going to have to have someone babysit the medic, I know how much you hate that . . ."

After talking to Mando Zhan will start calling employers in order of importance (i.e.: level of pay), "Mr. Brisket, hello! I am Captain Zhānmǔsī Cook of the Duecalion. I'm calling to offer my services in transportation for Meridian Heavy Industries. . . Yes, well that being the case I would like to point out my crew and ship come highly recommended, I myself was a decorated officer in the Alliance military. . . Yes, Captain was in fact my rank, it's not just an honorary title. . . Please! Just call me Zhan. . . Alright, well I'm not sure how long we're going to be in port so you'll have to call back quick to secure my ships services. . . Yes, it's D-U-E-C-A-L-I-O-N, uh huh, yes that's Z-H-A-N-M-U-S-I, yes Cook. . . Good, I look forward to hearing from you. . . Very well, Good-bye!"

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          Haller Landing Markets - Trader Jim's and area"Hello, my friend, come, come, what is it you are looking for, eh? I promise you, on the head of my dear, sweet, departed wife's mother, that I can find it for you and you can have it at the best price on this rock!" Kevork Papazian wears a tie-less suit of a Core fashion that went out of style before the war, and has impressively white teeth in the recesses of a big bushy beard in twin braids. After greeting Zhan in this fashion, all smiles and cheerfulness, he turns and yells something at a couple of his workers, but he's not speaking in Common or Chinese. Not usual. There are as many languages spoken in the Verse as there are people in it, seems like at times.
          After getting off the comm and meeting Kevork Papazian he'll look at the gentleman with an almost irrate demeanor, making sure to make eye-contact, and stating, "Well the first thing I'd like is for my crew to go unignored Jim. To be frank I have worked a long time to get a crew that I can trust to make decisions because I know that I need to be able to trust my crew implicitly. So I would appreciate if you would direct you're blatant sales-pitch to those in charge of finding and inspecting the merchandise that we are acquiring. Specifically . . ." placing a hand a Sama's shoulder gently so as not to leave the impression that the irritation is directed at her, "Sama, my mechanic. Once you have satisfied her expectations we will confer. Until then, I have a few more calls to make."

The comm rings a few times before a message must be left, "Mr. Lerga, my name is Captain Zhānmǔsī Cook of the Duecalion. I am calling about your need for passage to New Melbourne. We are going to be going that way and would be happy offer accomadations for your travels. Call me back at (###) ###-####. I look forward to meeting you."

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
            Sama - Markets with cook, tucker, lizzie.

"They've got everything but that phase adaptor I am needing...I can get you another month out of the one we got current cap, but after that we will be NEEDING it. Supplies are enroute to the ship within the hour."

She takes a package from the merchant roughly no longer then a baseball bat, and about as round as a bowling ball and cradles it to her chest almost lovingly, murmuring silly things like, " soon baby, you'll have a new good home..."
            Rejoining the real world Zhan will engage Sama, "I know you're excited, don't worry we'll get it here soon." Turning to the store's proprietor he'll knowingly say, "Now Mr. Papazian, let's talk money. . ." before low-balling the original quoted price by 25%.

Comment

"Tucker, Sama, where's Lizzie?"

Comment

Tucker had been helping Sama pick out parts and deferring to her judgement as to what would be good to buy. When the Capn' asks about Lizzie he looks up, glances around the market a second and back at Zhan. "Ta ma de..." he would face palm if not carrying things for Sama, "Sorry sir I didn't see which way she went."

Comment

Lizzie - among the market stalls

A young man of middle-eastern descent engages Lizzie in conversation. He doesn't appear to be selling anything. Lizzie, unsure of his motives, keeps the conversation to small talk and vacuous pleasantries.

Preoccupied thus, Lizzie doesn't notice when the rest of the crew move on without her.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Zhan - Trader Jim's and among the market stalls

Kevork Papazian, flustered and taken aback, "Why that's almost insulting! I see what you are trying to do here and I'll have none of it!" and counters with a value 15% above normal market value.

Capain Zhan retorts hurriedly, "I am not a man to be trifled with, not only do you insult my crew but my intelligence and I did not make it through the War commanding an Alliance Cruiser by letting an backwater merchant swindle me." with a slight grin as he finds himself enjoying this and wishing he didn't have to leave. Clearly this is a man who appreciates the value of the barter system. He follows up with a counter-offer for 20% less than market value.

Turning away from the merchant "Tucker, Sama, deal with this man and don't let him stiff you, I'll search for Lizzie, and don't forget the phase adaptor!"

Zhan then stalks off mummbling under his breath, "That girl always..." before heading into the rest of the market. He stops for a moment to absorb his surroundings that he only halfway paid attention to before and curses under his breath for stupidly not having paid more attention to his bearings when he first came. The market, he notices, seems to be half strip mall half bazaar styled in a bizarre eclectic mashing of cultural influences that ends up a cluttered din of sensations that assaults the eyes, ears and noise making spotting individual details like a particular individual nearly impossible without a stroke of brilliance, luck or both.

Luckily Cook often seems blessed with both he confidently gloats to himself for just a moment before he proves himself wrong as he spots what looks like Lizzie's red dress on someone of her general build. He walks up behind her calling her name a few times trying to get her attention. When he reaches her he grabs her shoulder saying, "Lizzie didn't you hear me, I was.." The lady turns around wih a false smile and he realizes he got the wrong lady.

"If you want me to be 'Lizzie'I can... for a price." the anonymous doxie replies.

"...mistaken it would seem." Zhan finishes his sentence with an impromptu ending.

"Are you sure I'm not the Lizzie your looking for?"

Cook simply looks over her dress and notices the differences in design he couldn't from behind her before he manages to hear his comm signalling just barely over the din. Curiusly he fishes it out of his pocket and notices who's calling. "Oh now he calls back."

Comment

GM NOTES: Tyger, Ellain, you may introduce Wolf and Rowan into the story at this point. One or both of you is likely out shopping/supply-gathering somewhere in Haller Landing. At present, Sama and Tucker are at Trader Jim's Discount Emporium, Lizzie got separated in the bazaar, and Zhan is out looking for her. Mando is back at the ship, holding up the walls with his back and generally making sure no one goes poking around where they shouldn't.

Trader Jim's Discount Emporium

Papazian practically swells with fury as Zhan tries to lowball him, and then further when Zhan directs him to deal with "underlings." He starts talking quite heatedly in that other language (which has its roots in Turkish, though lingual drift over the centuries means it only has a nodding acquaintance with its original form), clearly saying unkind things about the captain-- presumably regarding his parents and whether or not they were married at the time of Zhan's birth-- but then he subsides after the captain leaves.

The merchant turns to Sama and Tucker, and with a visible effort, he controls himself and that smile returns. "Do forgive my outburst, my friends. Among my people, it has always been the custom to bargain with the chief or captain or local potentate, and I always forget that the ways of Core-worlders is different. Come, come! Tell me what it is you will need, and I promise you," and his voice is oozing with obsequious affability now, "we either have it, or we can find it for you, wholesale!"

It's very carefully hidden now, but Papazian sees an opportunity to swindle some money out of the captain's crew, since the tight-fisted Londinian has left.

Haller Landing Markets

Lizzie receives a lot of attention as she goes through the markets. There is a lot going on, and it's quite an assault to the senses, but compared to the hustle and bustle of a Core-world port, it's not quite that bad. Men and women both call after her, offering wares and goods for sale and trade, and more than one lecherous sneer from less salubrious types.

For instance, right now. A tall, swarthy man with a big bushy mustache, wearing a smelly suit and some gold chain jewelry around his neck, turns to regard her and looks her up and down, muttering something in his native language (something that sounds vaguely like Farsi) and then barks at her, "Very nice! How much?"

He evidently thinks she's one of the local doxies.

--

Zhan, meanwhile, is definitely going to struggle to find Lizzie, since no one noticed when they got separated from her, plus she's wandered a bit herself by this point. As he moves away from the doxy that he mistook for Lizzie, the call he gets is from Syman Lerga.

"Hallo, Capitan Coook," the man replies, and his voice is colored with an accent, vaguely Slavic. He does pronounce the rank as "cap-i-tan" and the name with an extra-long "oo" sound, but this is down to his accent. "I am very happy to be hearing that you will be traveling to in the," he hesitates, and utters a brief collection of syllables in his language, before translating: "Red Sun system, yes? You can be taking me to New Melbourne? I am just poor businessman, business not so good on Ezra, but nephew on New Melbourne offering stake in dry goods business. Good starting point, yah?"
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Aidan "Wolf" McCowan -- Haller Landing Stalls

Wolf lucked out in his search and walked up beside Lizzie, "Och! Saint's be knackered, Lassie, there ye be!! The Cap'n be a-tearin' the town a new'n a-sarchin far ya!!"
                        Wolf was a tall-er, rawboned man of 170 pounds that could move. He glared at the swarthy man, then turned to Lizzie again.
                        "Lizzie, ye know be'er than thus," he said in the gentle tone of a concerned and worried big brother, his Celtic brogue thickening with emotion. "Ye've worried us... C'mon. Th' ammo I ordered is s'posta meet us at th' ship. Should keep Mongo happier'n'a mouse in a cheese fact'ry."
                        (Wolf knew Mando's name, but enjoyed the jest of mis-speaking the moniker.) On their way, Aidan "Wolf" McCuan stopped briefly to purchase 8 ounces of tobacco and a fistful of cigars. "Been needin' a good puff fer a few days."
                        Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Sama - with Tucker at vendor's stall

She closes her eyes with a faint stab of annoyance at the smart mouthed bastard, then turns to him and with almost cavity inducing smile gracing her lips.

".....I'll make you a deal, I'm looking for an extremely hard to find item, but my father used to be able to get them all the time. If you can find it I'll pay wholesale cost for it, if not....75% off everything we buy here today right now."

She winks at tucker on the pretense of rubbing some grit out of her eye.

"The item I'm looking for is a multifluxuating dual phase flux capacitor inhibitor, must fit a standard model X4554-34 engine...oh and I need a dozen of those.....otherwise...here is the rest of my shopping list."
                          Last edited by Sarlon; 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM.
                          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Rowan- among the market stalls

Having bought herself a new pair of boots to replace the ones she is wearing (who needs a hole in their sole?!) Rowan is about to search out a shooting range or dojo when she runs into Zahn, who is just getting off a call on his comm.

"Hey, Cap'n, how's the job search going?"

Comment

Lizzie - Haller Landing Markets

Lizzie laughs warmly at the swarthy man's proposition. She's about to respond when Wolf walks up beside her. She lets Wolf lead her away, trying to explain. "I didn't mean to get separated from the others."

Lizzie sighs when Wolf stops to purchase tobacco products. "I don't suppose you'll listen to me this time if I tell you that those things are bad for your health? No? Didn't think so." She sounds resigned.

Lizzie sticks near Wolf at first, but tugs on his sleeve after a minute. "Wait up. I see books." Lizzie heads straight for the stall and rifles through the vendor's books, finally settling on two books, which she holds close to her as she and Wolf head back toward the ship.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

(ooc: gonna back pedal just slightly so I can respond before Sama. Would have posted sooner but I just spent the vast majority of this weekend at a training camp.)

Tucker - With Sama at the Trader's Stall

When Zhan leaves and the merchant gets all uppity like Tucker puts on what he hopes is a disarming smile, "I do apologize good sir. I'm sure our captain meant no offense. He had to attend to one of our crew, surely you can understand a Chieftain watching out for the people he's meant to protect."

As Sama lists off her deal and the item she's looking for he lets out a slight smirk and then quickly schools his expression while folding his arms in front of his chest, a pretense to put his hand closer to his pistol butt, and waits to see how the merchant will react.

Comment

Working...
                                X