Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to hit you with a rolled-up flyer ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to hit you with a rolled-up flyer ...

This seems to be the Week of the Non-Reading Customer. I've lost count of the number of customers who come in with the new flyer and get pissed off when (a) they find out the sale starts the next day, and (b) no, we will NOT give them the sale price a day early. (Flyers go out on Wednesday, sales start on Thursday.)

This is one of the few instances in my store in which I have absolutely no sympathy for the customers. Our sales run from Thursday to Thursday and the dates are plainly printed at the top of the flyer ... okay, maybe not in 60-point bold red type, but it's there.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

In my grocery store days each district had its own weekly flyer. Customer from far away complained that my district wasn't giving the same specials as her flyer showed. I pointed to the footnote on the front page about which listed the counties where our flyers were valid. That shut her up!

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      .. and the dates are plainly printed at the top of the flyer ... okay, maybe not in 60-point bold red type, but it's there.
      Even then the customers would not read it.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth FormerCastMember View Post
        In my grocery store days each district had its own weekly flyer. Customer from far away complained that my district wasn't giving the same specials as her flyer showed. I pointed to the footnote on the front page about which listed the counties where our flyers were valid. That shut her up!
        Nor do they read the dates that the ad is valid through, as was explained to one hapless customer last week who ranted and raved at the front register about not getting the sale price on some meat item (can't recall which item but definitely something that was prominently featured in the flyer they brought with them.)

So my coworker Rochelle takes the customer to the back of the store and asked the Market Manager. He asks to look at the flyer the customer has and quickly pointed out that the flyer was actually LAST week's ad, which has already passed and we had started a new weekly ad.

Rochelle told me later it was all she could do to keep from laughing at the SC, who promptly flounced out of the store, still ranting about the pricing in our store.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Sadly, reading comprehension nowadays seems to be something like a super-power. "50% off selected items" doesn't mean that you get 50% off the items you have selected. I wasn't the hapless clerk dealing with that person, I just witnessed it.

Every so often, when I put something in front of a client, point to the signature line and tell them to sign, they actually read it before signing. One person actually asked me questions about it. This is so rare that I tell co-workers about it.

Comment

Reading

I was driving a friend to the supermarket. When we arrived but not yet parked there was a flyer posted that basically said buy one get one free.

She only want one item but immediately said the flyer said the items were half price.

I turn off the car, lock the doors and flip the switch that prevented her to just open her door, and told her, `We are not moving an inch until you read what the the flyer really says!`

Even stuck in the car less than six feet from the flyer in large print she read it aloud three times wrong, each time I said `That is not what it says, we are not moving till you read it word for word exactly what it says, not what you want it to say, she finally got it right the fourth time.

Here is the worse thing, she is a grade 3 teacher!

Comment

I think part of this is our own brains being lazy. (they really really are). Read part of something and some unconscious process fills in the "most likely" rest of it.

Which always just happens to favor the reader.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying they're not at fault, I would argue it's our job as humans to be aware of the tricks evolution played on us and compensate: such as really, really reading the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
              X