This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday War Stories Thread 2020

You know the drill. There, there, let it all out.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

None. I have no stories because we weren't "Black Friday Busy". My company supposedly had a 3 day sale but there was absolutely nothing regarding it in our app or the website. I don't even think the prices were activated. We had a few customers come in for our toy sale (buy 2 get 2 free) but not many even for that.

Yeah, definitely a new type of holiday season.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

On Black Friday I had to wait in line to enter the Lego web site. And the item was looking at was sold out.

When I got there I was 854 in line. The wait was about 2 minutes.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I don't work retail anymore, but I did have to venture out today to the biggest mall in the city as that is where I get my nails done - yeah, they're fake but I can't grow my natural ones out no matter how hard I try so I keep going back to the fake ones. Black Friday sales are still going until at least Monday and the mall was insane. Huge lineups outside of most stores, people not wearing masks or following any sort of 6ft rule, and people getting pissed off when store employees enforced occupancy limits.

I did hit up a couple of stores before I left the mall - the only two that did not have insane lines in the entire place, I swear.

I would have had an adult beverage when I got home but I had to work in a couple of hours. I'll save that for tonight instead. I might even have two or three.

Comment

Nothing out of the ordinary for me (in fact, slower than I expected), but one of the local malls featured a shooting. Two dead, no real details yet (unknown whether either of the deceased were pulling triggers, for example).
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Non essential shops are closed here so it's been very quiet
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I actually had Black Friday off for a change, it was very nice not to have to go to work on it -- haven't been off on it in quite a long time. Then again Grocery Store really doesn't do Black Friday, there's a lot of people shopping on the day before and on Thanksgiving. I did work Thanksgiving this year, got out forty minutes late -- and my store was busy as anything. By the time I left we did about two weeks worth of sales in the nine hours the store was open.

Too many people were complaining about the lines being long, even WITH all of the registers open. Quite a few people came to the deli asking to be rung up there, only to be told that the only registers are at the front of the store and no departments have them. Had to explain to at least ten people that all the thingamajigs in the deli were scales and ovens and fryers, we have no registers back here [plus none of the deli employees are register trained]. If we did we'd get nothing done.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Correct incident identified, and you do have a good point that the timing may well have been coincidence and not a result of the BF feeding frenzy.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Put everything I had in stock out. No takers. The gun-buying craze is slowing. But ammo picked up and I started selling silencers and off to a good start.
                  But for the day I built wreaths with my BSA troop to sell and fund raise. We did almost 400 this year.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Silencers? Are those actually legal?

Hmm, probably a state-by-state thing...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

California is one of the few states that does the "OH NOES! Bad Thing!" with mufflers and full-auto firearms. New York runs with a different, but similar, set of panic rules. Full auto just takes a federal permit/registration, where not outright prohibited.

Of course, the actual career criminals... don't really care about what the law says. It's more of a checklist of the things they SHOULD possess, really.

Comment

The only shopping I did that day was go to several liquor stores and get as many bottles of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout as possible. Got over a case this year, and it tastes damn good.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I was actually really surprised that Black Friday was so quiet this year here, but a lot of the stores did everything online so there wasn't that much traffic in the actual stores.

Comment

I had the Friday off, the Wednesday before might be just be the first day I've been in where we had no sales -- a few browsers, but nobody buying. I know the store has had such days, but if I've been there for one it was years ago.

That weekend also saw the departure of the previous "new guy" -- nothing dramatic, but he wasn't engaging with customers and generally seemed unenthusiastic... the boss said he "wasn't bookstore material". He has immediately been replaced with a new "new guy", who's older and seems much more into the whole bookstore thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X