This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crock pot recipies

We are trying to eat healthier and use our crock pot more and I was wondering what healthy crock pot recipes you guys like.

I've found they're good for lots of things -- e.g.

Skinless chicken (chicken, water or broth, add your veggies like peppers/onions and spices to taste. 4 hours on high or 6-7 on low. Recommended: 5 minutes under the broiler before you begin to give them some flavor)

Great for slow-cooked stews such as gumbo, as well as for soups in general such as french onion

Make sure your lid is tight-fitting, and they even work well as just plain rice cookers!

You can also browse a ton of recipes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/slowcooking/
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've made slow cooker risotto.

Basically, this recipe, without the mushrooms and asparagus:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1916284

Slow cooker on high for 3 hours or so, until the liquid has been absorbed completely (you'll have to put it all in at once for best results).
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Corned beef. I put a corned beef roast in there, with onions and carrots, and 4 cups of water. I let it cook on low overnight then on warm the next day and it's perfect.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Dunno about healthy, but my staples are stews and soups. Can't go wrong starting with potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery; then adding a Lump Of Meat - last one I made was corned beef. Season to taste and run for four to six hours.

Bean soup is really easy too - hit the grocery and just grab four or five bags of dry beans; pick out the rocks and pour it all in a jar. Couple cups of dry beans, water to cover, start. Add any seasonings or meats as desired and just let it go allllll day, topping up the water to cover as needed.
          Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
          They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

I'll have to look it up, but I know you can make rice pudding. You use arborio rice which is the short grain type. It's starchy which helps thicken it up. It's sooooo good.

I also like to make stuffed peppers. I use red bells, coat the bottom of the crock with olive oil, and cook on high for at least 4 hours. I stuff them with southwestern ingredients like chili or black beans and quinoa with tomato sauce and appropriate seasonings. I make sure the peppers touch the sides to get a nice roast on the skins. You can cook them with the tops on or off.

I've been known to make enchiladas, too. You can either roll them and place in the greased crock or layer the tortillas with other ingredients the same way you do lasagna. They only need to cook for 2 hours. Yeah, you can bake them and they're faster that way, but I like the flavor you get with slow cooking.

Pot roast would be good, too. It's been 20 years since I made that but I remember using Lipton onion soup mix, a little water, and potatoes and carrots under the roast. I don't remember how long to cook it, though.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Fix It and Forget It Lightly is our favorite healthy cookbook:
              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RW2UXNS...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

The regular Fix It and Forget It is pretty much the only cookbook we ever use anymore, other than this one. Excellent recipes in both.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                Fix It and Forget It Lightly is our favorite healthy cookbook:
                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RW2UXNS...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
                My BIL liked the ratatouille in those pages--it comes out stew-like. There is also a good jambalaya there.
                I use mine almost weekly-mainly throw together some protein, hard veg and a flavorful liquid. If your residence smells good you have something.
                Here's a blogger who used her's exclusively for a year.
                As for recipes, I have to repeat my mother's usual reply (quoting a certain Disney franchise).
                I make an apple butter in my slow cooker last fall (I had an insanely good crop of apples).
                Last edited by taxguykarl; 05-11-2018, 05:59 PM.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm thisclose to getting a programmable crockpot this weekend.

Comment

Sometimes I do a whole chicken in the crock pot. Just the very simple kind, with some celery and onion. You can easily search for a recipe, I choose the plain recipes since they're the cheapest. I don't have a preference, just throw in and turn on low if I have all day and high if I don't.

Otherwise I tend to do bean dishes, because I find the slow cooker does a much better job than the stove. So I do refried beans (reduce the salt! can't stress that enough) And Boston "baked" beans. No need to simmer, throw in crock pot on low for 8-10 hours. They smell so good, one time I had them going while a handyman was doing work around the apartment and he told me it was torture to smell all day.

Anyways, I'm looking for a pork loin recipe for crock pot, since I think that way it will not be dry? If anyone has one, I'd be interested. It's not something I'm very familiar with. I think I baked one once and it was okay but dry. I cut the roast in half so I have 1.75 pounds, maybe too small?
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Gloop!!
                      This is my favorite quick easy crock pot dish, i came up with it and I named it
                      2 1/2 cups brown rice
                      1 cup black beans
                      1 cup pinto beans
                      1 cup kidney beans
                      1 can green chilis
                      2 cans dice tomato
                      2 cloves of garlic
                      1 diced onion
                      salt pepper and Tabasco to taste
                      1/2 a package of bacon chopped
                      4 cups of broth

cook 4-6 hours
                      add cheese if desired
                      eat the grey mush that is amazingly tasty

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        Pot roast would be good, too. It's been 20 years since I made that but I remember using Lipton onion soup mix, a little water, and potatoes and carrots under the roast. I don't remember how long to cook it, though.
                        I found an even simpler crockpot-roast recipe, using onion soup mix and cream of whatever soup. The printed version called for one hour on High, then about six hours on Low. My second run was all day on Low. Quite good both times.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I may have to go back to eating land animals because I remember how good that tasted.

Comment

Another simple thing I've done -- tho it definitely needs more spice is this:

Halve a couple onions and green/red peppers (peel/remove seeds of course), set in bottom of crock (both for flavor and to keep meat from sticking)
                            Add some washed, cut up, skin-on taters of choice
                            Spices of choice
                            Chicken leg quarters or breasts, skinless or otherwise. Again, a quick broil first helps
                            A couple cans of undiluted cream of chicken soup (or more as needed)

The usual -- High for 4 hours or Low for 6.5ish. Remember, a HUGE part of crockpotting is to never lift the lid until you're fairly certain it's done, as you'll easily let off an hour's worth of heat each time you do. If you have a band (that may have come with it) you can use to keep the lid pressed down tight, so much the better.

Also, for this and many other messy meals: Most grocery stores should carry disposable crock pot liners. Well worth the dollar or so to avoid major massive cleanup later.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Not a recipe, but the greatest invention since the Crock Pot is the Crock Pot Liner. Get them. They're a little pricey, but worth it to not have to soak/scrub your insert.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X