Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And you expect your staff to respect you...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And you expect your staff to respect you...?

This is both a sighting and an MiM example, but I'm putting it here because I witnessed it (although I wish I'd spoken up to her about it).

I went to the Golden Arches and had given my order to the girl at the register. I think she may have been a tad slow because I had to go through my order (a burger without pickle or onion and a drink) about three times since she kept losing her place in the script she had clearly memorised.

This all happened while I was waiting for my items. Oh, and it's pretty warm today, in the mid-thirties (celcius) so the demand for drinks etc is clearly going to be high even though I went in after the lunch rush was over.

C - Cashier
    M - Management

C (to the other staff, who are chatting and standing about while she is getting my drink) - We really need more ice here.
    [nobody reacts]
    C - Someone? We need more ice or we're going to run out.
    [to M]
    C - Hey M, we're almost out of ice.
    M [in the nastiest and most belittling tone I have ever heard, still standing right at the registers and not bothering to lower her voice] - Well, C, I thought you knew you had to ask for it! You can't just expect it to appear! I mean, I'm not even your manager so I don't know what you're telling me for! If you'd just do your job and tell people, maybe someone could do something! It's all about communication, in case you didn't know!

Like I said above, I really wish I'd said something because I couldn't believe that anyone would speak to a staff member like that. I wish I could suggest that she was joking or something, but I can't because her expression clearly wasn't.

I did go to another manager, who had just started and who came to where I was getting my straw and napkin, and asked if he'd heard what was being said. He said he had and couldn't believe it either, but he didn't suggest he was going to do anything about it.

I'm tempted to write to the store or to McDonalds Australia about it because I'm appalled by that behaviour. What do people think?
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Do. And be sure to tell them that C was doing her job to the best of her ability.

Otherwise C might get disciplined or fired for her coworkers' incompetence.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Report it. In pretty much the same words you used to report it to us. That is appalling.

Comment

Definitely report it. It's the right thing to do.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Yeah, I agree. And if this person is so belittling in front of customers, I can imagine what a terror she is back-of-house.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
            It's all about communication, in case you didn't know!
            Looks to me like she asked 3 times. "M" is a complete and total idiot.
            Last edited by EricKei; 12-19-2013, 01:10 AM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Yeah, I agree. And if this person is so belittling in front of customers, I can imagine what a terror she is back-of-house.
              Not to mention the fact that it's extremely unprofessional to correct an employee in front of customers.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Report it. And I am unanimous in this.

If we don't stand up for the poor schmuck behind the till, who will? Especially when it's some jerk of a boss who's being nasty.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Not to mention the fact that it's extremely unprofessional to correct an employee in front of customers.
                  This. Praise in public, discipline in private. People appreciate that so much more.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Thanks, folks. Complaint sent. We'll see if anything comes about from it.
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                    X