This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the southerners...

how is mac & cheese a vegetable??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuVhtDiiso
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Heehee. When a plate lunch or dinner at a restaurant allows you to "pick X vegetables," it's our way of saying "pick X side items" ^_^ Mostly because the majority of the choices will actually be veggies, or at least contain some (e.g. mac n cheese w/Rotel diced tomatoes). And hey, mac n cheese includes flour! That...kinda counts, right?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      And hey, mac n cheese includes flour! That...kinda counts, right?
      Nope, that's cereals. Sorry.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

At a local "Southern Buffet" the vegetables choices usually are:
        Green beans
        Corn casserole
        Mashed potatoes and gravy
        Mac & cheese
        Rice
        Fried okra
        Turnip greens
        Fried green tomatoes

3 out of 8 ain't bad.

Knowledge vs. Wisdom
        Knowledge: Tomatoes are a fruit.
        Wisdom: You don't put them in a fruit salad.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Green beans
          Corn casserole
          Mashed potatoes and gravy
          Mac & cheese
          Rice
          Fried okra
          Turnip greens
          Fried green tomatoes
          ... darn you. Now I want fried okra. It's not easy to find good fried okra around here.

Comment

Mac & cheese with Rotel?? Mmmmmmm....!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              how is mac & cheese a vegetable??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuVhtDiiso
              The Southerner's definition of vegetables: Anything that doesn't have meat in it.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                ... darn you. Now I want fried okra. It's not easy to find good fried okra around here.
                YUP best I can find up here is in the frozen section. Now I just have to get a deep fryer
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  The Southerner's definition of vegetables: Anything that doesn't have meat in it.
                  At my local Mission BBQ, the green beans have bacon in them. I bet the beans do too. They do have a decent side salad, though.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                    Green beans *snip*
                    Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                    the green beans have bacon in them.
                    These have several chunks of ham.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      YUP best I can find up here is in the frozen section. Now I just have to get a deep fryer
                      The best fried okra isn't deep fried but pan fried. Either buy some small tender pods of okra (about 2 pounds) and wash it. dry it on a towel and then cut off the stem end followed by the bloom end. Now cut it up in 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch rounds. Now either using a bag or a bowl with a lid pour a little vegetable oil and toss to coat the okra. Now sprinkle some corn meal onto the okra and shake it to coat (how much meal is up to you, I don't use very much 1/4 to 1/3 cup at most.) Let it set for a few minutes for the meal to attach to the okra. Now in a cast-iron skillet either pour some oil or bacon grease in the pan and heat it up. Pour the okra in the pan. On a medium heat brown the okra. Don't stir it just keep flipping it and breaking up the chunks. This will take a while so keep an eye on it and don't burn it. The okra will become tender and the sliminess will go away, when it's browned to your liking remove it from the heat and server with a little salt and pepper.
                      Some people don't care for it but I also put onion and garlic in my okra. BTW I either use hog lard or bacon grease.
                      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                      X