View Single Post

Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

See, I rather liked working the express lane. Oh, the Sucktomers were horrible, but they'd be horrible no matter which register I was on.

I had to put up with the over-the-item-limit folks, too, but they actually had a legitimate excuse. They were buying cigarettes, which-- per the Cigarette Tax Board of Northern Virginia-- could only be purchased at the express lane. In the event the express lane was shut (which did sometimes happen), they could be purchased at one other register. As the customers did not want to write more than one check, they'd come to the express lane, and I had to take them.

Some of these "only write one check" people were actually buying cigarettes for the purposes of reselling them at their business, so they were often buying upwards of ten cartons of cigarettes, and then filling out the form that the Cigarette Tax Board said they had to fill out. (Anyone buying 5 or more cartons had to fill one out.)

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!