This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Eireann View Post
    What are the components that go into a desktop computer? I know that there's the motherboard, HD or SSD, RAM, graphics card, and fan - what else, apart from the tower itself?
    CPU, case and power supply. For the quote I gave you, the CPU is an "APU", which includes graphics, so you don't need a graphics card.

If you're thinking of reusing the case and power supply from your HP, don't. HP cases aren't quite standard that way and can require significant modification, and the power supply won't be adequate and may lack the right connectors.

Comment

Also, Motherboard, RAM, and HDD if you need one.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The graphic shadow posted gives a solid outline of the basics.

I would add a standard HDD for storage -- but you have that external 4TB, so you should be covered there. A decent chunk of that SDD will ba taken up by Windows itsef (unless you go with Linux) -- at least 1/3 of it. Note that you can specify other hard drives as the default storage location for new downloads, pics, videos, music, & documents as long as they've been actually installed in the system; I wouldn't do this with an external, as it won't always be there. Go ahead and slap the 1TB in there as a secondary drive for that purpose.

Note that modern CPU setups often include on-die graphics, so yeah, no need for a separate video card if the most taxing thing you'll be doing is Facebook games You might wanna grab a tube of heat sink compound (the smallest possible, you only need a drop), or ask whoever helps you with the assembly for some. It's used to cement the CPU/APU onto the heat sink and fan, and it helps to more efficiently conduct heat away from the CPU.
        Last edited by EricKei; 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Speaking of slow gaming speeds, this was posted to Not Always Right today.

Sounds Like They’re Playing A Gaming With You
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            The graphic shadow posted gives a solid outline of the basics.
            I spec'd the system to be great as a starter with quite a bit of expansion capability, with as little expense up front as possible and quite a bit of expansion capability. That might include a 2nd drive or larger/faster primary drive, more/faster RAM, faster CPU and GPU. Not sure if it'd take 3rd gen Ryzen, but it might.

Comment

Working...
            X