This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No you're going to order from US!

No, THIS is what you need to buy! reminded me of something that happened to Mom when I was a kid.

We were on a specific HMO through Dad's job and got our medical treatments through them - all doctor's visits except for dental. Which included getting our eyes checked.

I don't remember a lot about them when it comes to eye exams... except for the time where they pulled some dumb bullshit on mom and tried to make her buy glasses from them.

Mom ALWAYS got us glasses from the same optician as long as I can remember - I'll call him Mr. B. His shop was about 6 miles from us. We probably could have gotten glasses a little closer to home by using the mall, but with Mr. B... his prices were lower (and lower than the HMO's prices too I think). I suspect a lot of that was simply because he was the owner and, other than having a visiting optometrist to write prescriptions, he had no one else there. (which may have been part of what kept the prices down).

But this one time Mom used the HMO for the prescriptions and they decided they were going to dispense them. They flatly REFUSED to give her the prescription because they wanted her to buy the glasses from them.

I think she had to argue for a good 15 minutes at least until they finally relented.

Seriously that shit wasn't legal. I mean it's one thing for a doctor to refuse to write a prescription... but it's an ENTIRELY different ball of wax to write the prescription and refuse to hand it over simply because they've decided you have to buy it from them.

But in the end Mom won... and Mr. B filled the 'script for our glasses.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM.

This reminds me of something that happened to me about twelve years back. I was away at school-- a good three hours at least from home-- and my glasses broke. The bridge of my glasses snapped off the frame. I called home as soon as I could to let my folks know, and made do with ugly tape keeping them on.

Well, Mom had trouble when she tried to get a replacement pair of glasses for me. The optometrist (or whomever) wouldn't make her a new pair, because my prescription was out of date and they needed to re-examine me. Well, that wasn't likely to happen, as my father was out of town on a business trip for a week, and Mom wasn't about to lose twelve-plus hours driving up to Pennsylvania to pick me up, bring me home to get my eyes checked, drive me BACK to Pennsylvania, then drive herself home.

She went around in circles with them until she finally got it into their heads that this was an emergency situation--Mom shipped me an old pair of my glasses express (much worse prescription, but enough that I could function) while she tried to get a new pair made-- and they finally made my glasses with the new prescription and got them shipped to me post haste.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      Well, Mom had trouble when she tried to get a replacement pair of glasses for me. The optometrist (or whomever) wouldn't make her a new pair, because my prescription was out of date and they needed to re-examine me.
      I once had a pair of glasses get badly scratched up (new kitten found them on the nightstand while I was sleeping), took them to the cheapest place to get the lenses replaced (frames were ok, and we didn't have any insurance at that time). I was told since my prescription was out of date (limit was either one or two years, can't recall which) state law wouldn't let them so anything without a checkup and new prescription (a second place confirmed this). Money was so tight at the time, I ended up wearing scratched glasses for several months.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        I once had a pair of glasses get badly scratched up (new kitten found them on the nightstand while I was sleeping), took them to the cheapest place to get the lenses replaced (frames were ok, and we didn't have any insurance at that time). I was told since my prescription was out of date (limit was either one or two years, can't recall which) state law wouldn't let them so anything without a checkup and new prescription (a second place confirmed this). Money was so tight at the time, I ended up wearing scratched glasses for several months.
        I've had the same thing over here. I gather it's a 'policy' type thing. My 'script hasn't changed terribly much in the last few years, let alone the *cough*20something*cough* years I've been using the same optometrist.. But I put off getting anything ordered as I KNOW they'll try anything to get me to come in for a $100+ "checkup"
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

A) So glad I have vision insurance and B) I thought that out-of-date rule only applied to contacts, since they are medical devices that go on your eyes. Glasses don't.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

OK, I can see Merriweather's story happening. Lenses are prescription items and in her jurisdiction they might not be allowed to simply copy them (although I have seen this service offered around here).

J2KW's story is more troubling. Frames don't need a prescription, so why couldn't they just install the existing lenses in a new frame? I've had that done; one pair of lenses was actually cut down twice, if I remember correctly.

And what PepperElf is describing is flat out illegal, at least in this state:

Quoth New Jersey Department of Law & Public Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs, Regulations for the Practise of Optometry
            Chapter 13:38-6.1d: After the completion of a patient's comprehensive examination, and upon the patient's request, a copy of the patient's prescription for eyeglasses shall be given, free of charge, to the patient or to another optometrist, ophthalmologist or ophthalmic dispenser acting on the patient's behalf.

Comment

For years, I was wearing a pair of glasses that had the springs in the arms broken; one arm was taped on and by the time the other arm broke I knew it was time to finally get new glasses. I ended up getting 2 pairs of glasses so I have a spare if anything (nothing yet) happens to one pair.

But the horror stories I'm hearing reminds me of a story on CBC's Marketplace about the eye glasses industry and how sketchy it is. (Like the fact that most of the frames you buy, all come from the same place... and even a lot of the Glasses stores you see all have the same parent company); not to mention some of the strange laws in place (mainly comparing Ontario and BC). The video may not be available outside of Canada.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                J2KW's story is more troubling. Frames don't need a prescription, so why couldn't they just install the existing lenses in a new frame? I've had that done; one pair of lenses was actually cut down twice, if I remember correctly.
                Because there wasn't an optometrist (or whatever) anywhere nearby in the town where I was going to school. I was two states away from home. Doing what you're suggesting would require shipping my broken frames (with the lenses) home, which for reasons I don't recall, I didn't do. It never even occurred to us to do it.

Mom was trying to get new lenses made with my old prescription, and the optometrist was balking at it.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Why is something so simple have to be so complicated? Oh wait, they want to make money off of us. Hearing these horror stories makes me hope I don't need glasses for a long while.

Comment

My now former ophthamalogist had optometrists who did most of the exams. Then they would funnel you to the optician who had a section of the office, usually while your eyes were being dilated, to pick out glasses. It was more expensive than going to the mall, but it was easier, closer to work, and problems could be fixed faster. Obviously, the doctor had a contract with the optical company, and was supplementing the exam fees. I can understand that, because the doctor only received $50 total between my co-pay and the insurance for a full exam with dilation and glaucoma check.

Until last year. The optician quoted the exact same glasses I was wearing for $200 more than the previous year. Absolutely no changes, not even the prescription. I took the scrip and walked out.
                    Last edited by wagegoth; 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

This makes me nervous. The glasses themselves cost more than the exam, even if you choose from the cheaper frames, so I've been thinking about trying one of the online shops. I know you have to measure how they fit in a certain way but the sites explain how to do that, and the online sites have a MUCH larger selection of frames than the shops around here.

But I wonder if they're going to give me a hard time about handing over the scrip once they've finished the exam, because they'll realize I intend to buy the glasses elsewhere.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                        . Then they would funnel you to the optician who had a section of the office, usually while your eyes were being dilated, to pick out glasses.
                        If I plan to get glasses at the same place as the exam, I go in at least 15 minutes early, just to look at frames, and pick them out before my exam, while I can still see Started doing that after I got one pair the turned out to look totally different once I could see clearly.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                          OK, I can see Merriweather's story happening. Lenses are prescription items and in her jurisdiction they might not be allowed to simply copy them (although I have seen this service offered around here).

And what PepperElf is describing is flat out illegal, at least in this state:
                          i think that's illegal in all states - what they tried doing to mom that is.

and yes, i agree... although it sucks ... they can't refill scripts that are expired. although the expiration date will vary from state to state. navy only required an exam every 2 years tho. but yes, if it had been over 2 years you had to get an exam before you got glasses.

as for frames... eh. depends on what you want. i mean my bf found a site that has frames - even "big name" frames for dirt cheap. normally they sell to opticians but hey they might sell to joe shmos like us too. havent tried it yet tho

Comment

Just a quick note, guys, that while the op's mother was definitely in the right about being able to get the prescription, & Jay 2K was in an emergency situation with being out of state & needing the glasses quickly, it really is vital that you get your eyes checked regularly.

Quite apart from avoiding headaches from not being able to see properly, there are various medical conditions, some serious, some just annoying, which can be discovered by an optician who knows what they're doing.

My optician discovered I had a condition called intracranial hypertension (a.k.a. fluid on the brain) which could have left me blind (& had already damaged my lower peripheral vision & my memory by the time it was treated).

A lady who was booked in the same day as me for my brain op had a brain tumour, which was also discovered by her optician.

A few hours & a check-up fee every couple of years is annoying but can make a huge difference in your quality of life.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Very good point greek_jester I should really get onto getting my latest checkup done
                              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                              What's the difference?
                              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
                              X