This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Butter Help

The other night, my friend's mom showed me a sampler box she had gotten from Hickory Farm. It was a bunch of marmalades and something called lemon butter. I had never heard of it before but it was about the same consistancy of jelly or marmalade. I tried looking online for some sort of recipe, but everything looks like it's more of a liquid glaze type thing. I can't tell if it's the same thing or not. Anyone know anything about this?
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

I've never made it before, but is it anything like this?

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/meyer_lemon_marmalade/

Comment

It might be lemon CURD which is very very tasty and fairly easy to make (and does indeed involve quite a bit of butter). Lemon curd has about the consistency and look of a very thick pudding... hmm, so if the stuff you have looks more like jelly or marmalade then MaggieTheCat might be right about it. Still, I highly recommend finding a recipe for lemon curd and giving a try. I make key lime curd with fresh squeezed lime juice that is to die for.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I haven't heard of lemon butter before, but I love apple butter - basically it is a jelly and is used the same way.
        TANSTAAFL

Comment

Lemon Butter is fantastic!!!!!

There's a commercial version here in oz called Lemon Spreadthats good, but the homemade version is better. Much better.

Mmmmmmm.

I'm glad i'm going to the supermarket later
          It's like trying to get laid by showing a girl your resume.
          Look, I was good at Biology and Woodwork.
          So I know where stuff is and I'm good with my hands.

- Dan, The Gruen Transfer

Comment

Okay, to start off with, Lemon butter is a misnomer. It's not really butter. All Lemon butter really is is a lemon custard relabeled. To get a solid recipe for lemon butter, look up a recipe for a lemon meringue pie and base it off the custard. Remove a solidifying agent in it and voila! Lemon butter.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              All Lemon butter really is is a lemon custard relabeled.
              Not so fast, my friend.

I flexed my google fu to see what I could find, since I have been asking for a lot of cooking help and suggestions on this site lately, and figured I should return the favor. Now, while the Hickory Farms website had exactly NOTHING about lemon butter, a little searching turned up this interesting tidbit about lemon butter, which might explain the discrepancy in what Shangri-laschild tasted and then found on the net:

"Lemon butter has two definitions. It can refer to cold butter in sticks or whipped that has actually been flavored with lemon and sugar. More commonly it refers to lemon butter sauce or meuniere, a wonderful tart, creamy and savory sauce that can be used to top a variety of different dishes. Most commonly you’ll find white meats, light fish and shellfish, and plenty of vegetables that are served with lemon butter sauce." (source: wisegeek.com)

More searching also revealed this recipe for lemon butter, which is described as "thick and creamy," rather than a glaze. Also this recipe sounds very intriguing, and sounds very much like a butter-type spread flavored with lemon, aka lemon butter.

Hope that helps.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
              X