This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No = Rude just another day in my delivery life

This is one of those yeah happens often enough but this got taken to another level

The Big Bill Part 1

scene a cold and damp Cheeseheadland Cental night and I am flying cheesey stuff all over town. Now I have been to this particular address many times before and had NO problems.

DG = Slightly drunk guy
    me = your cheesey goodness delivery driver with much grey hair

Me - <get to the specified door> Hey did you guy order red roof pizza?
    DG - Sure Did.
    me - OK you5r total is $21.91
    DG - OK <hands me a single bill> and could I get $25 in change back?
    me - <looks at the bill and sees it is a $50> Unfortuneately do not have enough change to give you all of your requested change back. We are only allowed to carry $20 in change as per our safety and security policy and that is all I have on me at the moment. <hands the bill back to him>
    DG - <attitude immediately flips> What do you mean you don't have change???? I ordered online and specified cash. ALL I have is that $50 bill.

me - again I am sorry sir but as I said before I can not give you the change back you requested as I only have $20 on me at this time.

DG - WELL GO GET CHANGE!!!!

me - again I am sorry but I can't do that as it is again against our security and safety policy.

DG - SO you're telling me I have to give you an $8 tip???

me - NO I am not saying that. I am not asking or telling you to do an $8 tip --- all I am saying is that I do not have the full change you requested.

DG _ you are BEING REALLY RUDE <I almost expected him to pull the customer is always right shit> what would you say if I were to call the store and complain about you and get you in trouble???

me - you may do as you wish sir but we have our safety and security policy. there is nothing else I can do.

DG - Fine keep the pizza.

I turn and walk away knowing this is not the end. I drive back to the store.

/pause

now here is a little background. The MOD that night is disabled in some way and can not talk on the phone. Other than his disability he is a good manager, worker, driver, cook and a good person.

/resume

I get back to the store (about 5 minutes after leaving DG's house) I communicate to the MOD the guy just tried to pop a $50 bill on me for a $21.91 order. He agrees that I did do the correct thing. At that point the phone rings and I know it is DG.

Since the MOD can not talk on the phone I "play Manager" and basically have the same conversation I did at the door. DG claims I was extreamly rude at the door. DG also claimed that I said all I had on me was a $20 bill not a change fund. I politely explain to DG that he must have misunderstood the driver as we issue them a change bank of $20 consisting of 2 $5 bills and 10 $1 bills so the driver did have that change fund on them. I also explained that the drivers are only allowed to carry a limited amount of change for their safety and security.

<side note --- we had a driver robbed not 2 weeks ago when 2 teen punks stuck a gun in the driver's face and robbed him. fortuneatley they were captured less than an hour later. we have had several drivers robbed in the last couple of years one driver was hospitalized for 9 days after getting severly beaten up.

Also I am my store's main Driver Trainer and I pound the safety and security stuff into my trainees brains. Yes there are one or two who ignore this stuff but it will bite them HARD when they get robbed.>

I go round and round with DG until he just gets real huffy and hangs up on my.

I immediately text our acting GM to let her know of the situation as I know (for some reason) that is NOT the end. She texts me back with a screen shot of our online ordering system and it clearly states that bills larger than $20's will not be accepted (we will accept them IF the order total is within $15 of that large bill eg. an order total of $35 and yes we can do a $50 bill and give change back) But them we know all too well that customers do not READ stuff.

the Big Bill Part 2

This was relayed to me by the acting GM the next day. Most of our management will totally back us when it comes to the safety and security policies.

DG's wife wanted in on the action and double down by calling into the store and basically tried to rip the Acting GM a new one and get me in trouble. Tried the usual rude at the door, poorly trained, not doing the job properly, only carrying a $20 bill, and when she worked for red roof pizza 15 years ago this was never a problem.

Acting GM again politely explained our safety and security policy again and that the drivers only carry a limited amount of change and that I did nothing wrong and I was just doing my job properly.

Acting GM then asks the wife what she wanted. MY ORDER. So free pizza for them and we get a good laugh.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 12-31-2018, 03:37 AM. Reason: additional information
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Aren't credit card orders an option with your store? Oh yeah, that would require thinking ahead on the part of the SC's. Sorry.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You have to make an effort to get bills larger than 20's anymore. That's probably the same 50 the SC has used for a year to get free food. I think he was wanting you to just hand over the pizza because you didn't have change.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
        Aren't credit card orders an option with your store? Oh yeah, that would require thinking ahead on the part of the SC's. Sorry.
        add in holiday cheer and yuppers right in one. LOL

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        You have to make an effort to get bills larger than 20's anymore. That's probably the same 50 the SC has used for a year to get free food. I think he was wanting you to just hand over the pizza because you didn't have change.
        No matter which driver they got they would have gotten the same response as ALL our drivers (meaning my pizza place not any other company) all have the safety and security stuff pounded into their head at training time and I try and reinforce on occasion (like using the driver who got the gun stuck in his face 2 weeks ago) as a teachable moment. Most other food delivery companies have similar safety policies in place but I do nto know how well they are enforced. we strictly enforce this policy
        Last edited by Racket_Man; 01-02-2019, 02:26 AM.

Comment

I used to drive pizza once upon a time. Never got robbed myself, but we took the precautions as there's always some little rat, somewhere.
          With large orders, the phone staff were supposed to check on how this was getting paid for. Large bills had to be planned for, so the driver WOULD have change. Anything flakey about the order, and it could be aborted at any time, by the manager or the driver on the run.

Happily, the owner of the franchise also worked there, had been in the business for years and wanted continued profits, not friendlies in the hospital.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            My stupid bank *defaults* to giving at least one $50 with any cash withdrawal $170 or larger. (When you go to a teller, the cash comes out from a machine, not a drawer. Teller drawers now only have the few crumpled up or old bills that the machine doesn't like, and rolls of quarters.). Used to drive me crazy back when I was a teller and I had to use the machines. NO ONE withdrawing $200 wanted the default of one $50, seven $20s and two $5s. I got quick at changing the default denominations to nine $20s and four $5s.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
              My stupid bank *defaults* to giving at least one $50 with any cash withdrawal $170 or larger.
              That would be SO annoying. I do not like large bills because they are so hard to break and I hate to be that jerk who pays for a pack of cigs with a 50 and empties out their change.

Comment

Or be the jerk cashier that has lots of change... in singles and rolls of coin. Been there, done that.

Sometimes I actually didn't have anything other than singles, other times... I'm not an effing bank, you nitwit.

Comment

I get it all the time. First thing in the morning they want to drop a $100 bill for a purchase under 20 bucks. I have told people in the past I can't break a bill that large they then pull out smaller bills.

Comment

I understand you don't carry large bills because of robberies but I think I'm missing a key element here. I suppose if every potential robber out there knew that your drivers don't carry a lot of cash it would deter them. I figure they don't and the policy really doesn't reduce the chance of robbery and now I'm panicked on your behalf. Maybe there are other safeguards I don't know about. I hope so because I'm horrified that someone ended up in the hospital. I know you have a bit more crime up there but I didn't think it was that bad. I was considering looking for jobs up there but now I'm paranoid. Kind of wishing I hadn't read this.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The whole 'no large bills' is part of most major delivery services. Between runs, the driver is supposed to drop funds in excess of the limit, getting change as needed.
                      Part of the Domi... err, 'Dice' was "If robbed, the official quote on money stolen is 'A small amount'", to help spread the word that the drivers really DON'T have enough to be worth robbing.
                      Also: Drivers caught running around with large wads of cash... learn to use the freaking drop box or learn about employment opportunities ELSEWHERE. Getting robbed is not part of a profitable day, for business or employee, and we make it as unprofitable as we can for the robber so he... finds something else to do.

Comment

Because protocols and policies NEVER change in 15 years.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          ... I figure they don't and the policy really doesn't reduce the chance of robbery and now I'm panicked on your behalf.
                          Well, your assumption is that it's about driver safety. Since we're talking about a corporation here, your assumption is at least 90% wrong. The policy is so that when robberies happen, the business only loses a relatively small amount of money.

If word gets around that drivers really don't have much and aren't worth robbing, that's a bonus. Because the insurance rates can go down in that case, and the company can save some money there.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Food Lady: It is not that here in CheeseHeadLand Central we have higher crime rate than down where you live crime can happen in the getto areas or the nice areas.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            Well, your assumption is that it's about driver safety. Since we're talking about a corporation here, your assumption is at least 90% wrong. The policy is so that when robberies happen, the business only loses a relatively small amount of money.

If word gets around that drivers really don't have much and aren't worth robbing, that's a bonus. Because the insurance rates can go down in that case, and the company can save some money there.
                            Unfortuneately there are just some dumb criminals out there who think small or are just greedy and hungry and stupid.

ANd you have to add in the fact that IF during a robbery the driver get injured well that is a Workmen's Comp thing and if you get too many claims that particular insurance goes WAY up. That is one BIG way to get a corp.'s attention punch them in the profit.

Workmen's Comp. includes ALL medical bills and 75% of your pay after I believe 3 or 4 days off from work (??? on time frame) and that can add up for an extended off of work period. 8 days in the hospital extensive dental work PTSD counseling costs big bucks that the company wants to avoid paying.

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                            The whole 'no large bills' is part of most major delivery services. Between runs, the driver is supposed to drop funds in excess of the limit, getting change as needed.
                            Part of the Domi... err, 'Dice' was "If robbed, the official quote on money stolen is 'A small amount'", to help spread the word that the drivers really DON'T have enough to be worth robbing.
                            Also: Drivers caught running around with large wads of cash... learn to use the freaking drop box or learn about employment opportunities ELSEWHERE. Getting robbed is not part of a profitable day, for business or employee, and we make it as unprofitable as we can for the robber so he... finds something else to do.

There are some drivers who will, for whatever reason, NOT want to use the drop boxes --- well if they get popped/robbed they are liable for that cash on their person. There still persists the stereotype that drivers are flush with cash ------ Nope if they follow the rules only small amounts (like say $20) plus whatever they just picked up on the last delivery are all they should have.

Comment

I kind of wish we'd had drop boxes when I worked for the red roof pizza company (does quick mental math) 14ish years ago. (But then some of my coworkers [including a manager] weren't exactly trustworthy.) Our sister store had a driver killed in a not very nice neighborhood. Most of their drivers quit as soon as they found out.

There was a driver shot in my parents' former neighborhood about 5ish years ago. And it isn't a bad one either. But they tried to force the driver into the trunk so she fought back (as you should). To my recollection she lived.

And on the workers comp thing (at least in AZ) it pays 2/3 of your average pay, but you have to pay your entire medical insurance premium out of pocket. (Source: My husband has been on WC since October. We're functioning [sort of] on half of his pay.)

Comment

Working...
                              X