Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Game Idea] H+: The Singularity (OOC & Discussion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name: Danielle St.Claire

Interlink Name: NiteShayde

Backstory: Dani was born in Beggar's Reef. Believing she would have a better life in the servitude of a wealthy benefactor, her mother sold her to the Shinsen-gumi at the age of 7 (at least, that's what her mother convinced herself so she could sleep at night. In reality, she needed the money). Unfortunately, being sold into slavery tends to sour one's personality. Danielle grew rebellious, selfish, distrustful of others (and untrustworthy herself), and vindictive. After many (severe) punishments for insubordination throughout her conditioning, she was sold to a wealthy interlink mogul for housekeeping and "other" services when she was 11. Nearly a year later, the lavish home in Altman Heights was raided after a series of attacks on various corporate and government datanodes were traced back to that location. Dani was arrested and sentenced to 15 years of imprisonment for her Interlink crimes. However, she only spent four months in a juvenile detention facility before she was granted release into the custody of Tyr Industries, who had taken an interest in her after reading offender profiles while looking for subjects for a new development contract. They wanted people who were young, troubled, and (most importantly) wouldn't be missed. Dani was unique because she was owned property. Her benefactor wouldn't admit that fact to authorities and had enough influence that no one asked, nor would the syndicate lay claim to her and risk compromising the confidentiality of a high-profile client. A back-alley deal was made and she was purchased from her previous owner with Shinsen-gumi's consent and released from prison into Tyr's custody. Thus, by the age of 13, her brain had been augmented against her will with prototype weaponized nanotechnology. However, the program that was to give the company complete control over her mind was defective, as it was still in testing, and she found that not only did she still have her wits, she herself had control over her augs. Unofficially, Danielle St. Claire was named among the dead in the explosion that annihilated the top 5 floors of the Tyr R&D building, though her body was never recovered ("officially," she had committed suicide at the detention facility when she was purchased by the company). She currently resides in The Hub, where it is still easy to lay low and be anonymous, stealing whatever she needs and squatting wherever she can. She has a very cynical outlook and shows some Sociopathic tendencies, but she is not evil (though she has the capacity for it).

Description: Dani is 14 years old and has a lean but athletic build, standing at about 5'1. She has dark blue hair and piercing violet eyes, and usually wears a black leather jacket, t-shirts, and jeans. She is of unknown origin though she speaks with an slight Irish accent.

Avatar Description: Danielle's Interlink persona, NiteShayde, is a black, spectral, humamoid form with few features, most notably a pair of glowing violet eyes. Can also activate a ghostly flaming aura around her avatar.

Abilities: Danielle's prototype augments grant her the ability to manipulate objects with a mere thought. She can lift, throw, break, open, or close objects up to four times what her physical strength will allow. She is capable of levitating herself and can even manage short-range "flight," though it takes a tremendous amount of concentration to achieve. Though she cannot kill a person with her mind (yet), she is able to exercise some control over various muscle and nerve groups, causing debilitating pain for as long as she can focus on them (or until they pass out). She also has control over fire, able to make it spread up to 4 times its size (or greater, as flammable objects will catch fire). She cannot create flames of her own (yet), but can "spark" combustibles within her range of manipulation (approximately 12 feet around her). Though it may not have been intended, her augs make her highly resistant to fire and heat, and she can use nearby flames to create a barrier around herself, much like her avatar. Within the Interlink, her powers are greatly magnified. She can manipulate "objects" within the virtual space easier and at much greater range (up to a virtual area of 50 yards). She can become incorporeal to hide in or pass through objects within the Interlink, and hack into and control (possess) other avatars if she can break their security protocols. Her incorporeal form also provides quite a degree of stealth, making her much harder to detect by security systems. When covert hacking is not an option, or when there's no time for discretion, she can ignite a blue flaming aura which can "burn" through security programs, firewalls, and datalocks. Unlike in the real world, she can fly with ease and has the ability to create fire on a whim, in addition to being able to create any sort of bladed weapon that she can think of (she prefers knives, and is able to combine her abilities to make them flaming knives). She has a wealth of high-level security access codes and overrides she uploaded during her time as a lab rat with Tyr Industries.

Flaws: Youth and inexperience account for most of her potential weakness. Rash and impulsive, she has no regard for any consequences of her actions. The one and only life-lesson she learned from her mother is to look out for oneself and do whatever it takes to survive. If backed into a corner, she won't hesitate to burn everything around her to ash (or crash entire networks inside the Interlink). She only knows the hard, cold life she was brought up in, a life where mothers sell their children to become property owned by others, where youths who didn't have a chance are experimented on by corporations. She has no idea of the true havoc she could wreak with the access clearances she stole from Tyr's infrastructure, or if that information fell into the wrong hands. Dani misuses it on a much smaller scale than a professional hacker would, primarily for mischief such as sabotaging company accounts, misappropriating money and goods from their intended destinations, and breaking into various corporate and governmental databases just to show that she can. She distrusts everyone, hates authority, and only does things for her own benefit. She herself cannot be trusted as she will lie to, steal from, and con anyone she wants.

Equipment:
    Mini-VR Interlink visor (think cyperpunk Google glasses)
    Military-grade combat knife
    Set of throwing knives
    Butane lighter
    Pack of cigarettes
    Various stolen access cards
    Satchel of miscellaneous stolen items/money

Contacts: As Dani has no family and no friends, and won't hesitate to burn any bridges (literally, if need be), and since she was legally declared to be deceased, she has no contacts. However, her Interlink self is getting more attention as she becomes more infamous.

As I am incredibly lazy, and because my scanner is in storage, I made avi versions of Danielle and her Avatar.

Last edited by Kara; 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Yes. Kara, you've encapsulated in your character exactly the kind of thing that makes the world of this game so fucked up. The syndicates and megacorps act with impunity and the little people have no real defense against it, and it makes some pretty angry people.

It also produces some serious badasses, and I think Dani/NiteShayde is going to get along just fine in this game. She'll be pretty damn tough for anyone to really fight, which is fine, though expect her to get spammed (especially on the Interlink) by mooks just because of her threat level. (Which, game-wise, just means more people for Nite to burn to voxel-ash.)

GM NOTE-- Recruiting for this game will always be on-going, so anyone reading this thread (or the IC thread, when it goes up) and wanting to join in the fun is free to do so. The plan is still to put the IC thread up on Sunday, to give me time to come up with an appropriate opening post.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I was hoping I was going in the right direction with what I wanted to piece together based on the information provided and where I wanted her backstory to go. I already had a troubled, anarchist character, it was just a matter of giving her a reason to be a troubled anarchist in the context of this story. Plus, I figured since all the syndicates were involved in human trafficking, someone might as well experience that world firsthand.

She may have wound up a teensy bit more powerful than I intended (at least, to start with), but she was originally created for a Palladium game which means I have all kinds of obscure stats I had to throw out (like writing proficiency and presence detection, not to mention stat bonuses that affect other stat bonuses). Oh well, she's outfitted with classified weaponized prototype technology, might as well go all out. Bring on the mooks.
        Last edited by Kara; 06-20-2013, 03:51 AM. Reason: rogue misspelling >.<

Comment

Yeah, real-world wise, most of the mooks are going to be basic security mechs (man-sized, armed with stun-batons and small firearms/energy pistols) with the occasional aug'd baddie-- maybe the occasional bigger mech (something like the Zorn from Remember Me perhaps)

On the Interlink, the mooks are going to spam the everloving heck out of "clone" programs and even have net-agents and so on to send after folks as well.

Which reminds me of some more background stuff about the Interlink that I need to put out there--
          ==========
          The Interlink
          Basically, the Interlink is a mesh network that evolved out of the Internet of old, and takes two forms. There's the AR Interlink that most people interact with on a daily basis in the real-world, and there's the more submersive VR Interlink that quite a few people interact with by plugging into an Interlink terminal, whether that's with wires or wireless.

When VR Interlink combat takes place, and a user's avatar is destroyed, they are forcibly ejected from the VR Interlink, and there's usually a sort of "cooldown" period wherein their access is still disabled before they can log back in. Sometimes the ejection can cause some injury to the user, particularly if Ice is involved. (And can be lethal if it is Black Ice.)

Interlink Glossary
          Agent - A semi-autonomous program created to perform various tasks in the Interlink. They are not true AI, and have very limited parameters.

AI - Artificial Intelligence. Autonomous programs that are considered sentient beings, but have their rights are limited under Corporate Court Law. Only an AI which is registered to a licensed individual (be they a single person or a corporation) has full rights, but they are required to abide by laws. Rogue AIs have no rights, and thus most take pains to avoid notice or getting into trouble.

AR - Augmented Reality. Most AR objects can be seen in the real world with either optical augs or special glasses or goggles. Anyone who can see them can interact with them as well.

Avatar - The representation of an individual on the Interlink. This individual could be a user or an agent or an AI.

Brainhacking - An action wherein a hacker backtraces an Interlink user to their real-world self and uses the connection to try to steal information from the user's head, or implant a command or data. It is heavily frowned upon and explicitly illegal. (Though syndicates and megacorps use deniable assets to try to perpetrate it.) It is extremely difficult for humans to accomplish, and even most AIs have difficulty with it. To date, the most successful brainhack was perpetrated by the AI "Amp" 15 years ago.

Data Haven - Locations on the Interlink which are considered "neutral ground." Often the sites of major data storage. Not all data havens are fully neutral, and have some obscure links to a syndicate or megacorp.

Ice - Term for "IC" or Intrusion Countermeasure. Firewalls and similar restrictions and defenses to protect against hacking. Sometimes called "informational countermeasure" or ICM. Black Ice is the most dangerous kind, because it can cause lethal injury to the person attempting to bypass it.

Voxel - A three-dimensional pixel. Voxels comprise every piece of visual output on the Interlink. When an avatar is "killed" on the Interlink, it will often break down into voxels.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Annnnnd we're off! --> IC Thread <--

I liked coming up with all of the stuff in there. Some more faces for the Crashers and The Flow (Hellborn, L0ki, and Becca -- Watch_Dog, Interro & Bang), some Sprawlfeed ads and notices, some real-world stuff for Kiki and Dani, and lastly some email for Noa.

Comment

Was quiet on this for a bit hoping that Chanlin would respond, but we can at least proceed forward with things for Kiki and Dani. Expect a GM post soon.

Comment

Kiki will contact her clan, see if she can find out more about her mark and hopefully between them and the info handed her she will be able to track him down. Now, as to why no price was mentioned, and she took the job without negotiating. Always good to be on the good side of the mob..so she will consider this one a 'freebie'. *chuckles*
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I figured it on the lines of the Clan and the Shinsen-gumi have an "understanding" of sorts. While the Shinsen-gumi are a powerful syndicate, they have no wish to piss off a clan of ninjas.

Comment

And now you know that Kiki is NOT a nice person . She has a strict code not to get innocents involved, but she doesn't exactly play nice or fair. She is a ninja after all, and a merchant of death.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Summer camp is keeping me busy busy. I will try to post something and catch up when I can. Right now I'm drawing a blank.

Comment

Ooo oo! Hey Kara and Jay..my and Kara's character are both in the hub. Since my character is not Augmented, going to have a tough time taking down robots..would slag hit the fan enough if we got the characters together by pure consequence?

Comment

I could see that working. Kiki runs from the bots and ends up running straight into the Bratva attack on the Hub Scrap hideout?

Comment

That was what I was thinking. Of course I would like Kara's input if that is ok . If so I will have Kiki run into the fray. Poor Ninja won't know what the heck to think.

Comment

I think that would be interesting. And entertaining

Sorry, I've been busy the last few days. I'm going to try to post later today.

Comment

Kara if you and Jay want to finish up, it is going to be a few days before I will be able to focus to post good.

Comment

Working...
                                X