This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I am the dumbass

I'm doing out of town training, staying in a hotel. As everyone knows, most hotels have key cards, and this one was no different. Most hotels have automatic door closers on the room doors, same as with this one.

So, on Thursday, I took my shower and put some fluffy fleece pajamas on, added my electric vest, bunny slippers and my Elmer Fudd fur lined hat, then stepped outside to smoke one last time before I went to bed.

While I remembered my smokes, lighter and CAR keys, I forgot about my key card until I heard the door close.

No phone, and me stuck out in the freezing rain. Very smart move on my part.

I scampered to the lobby, peeked in the windows to be sure it was clear, then ran in to the very nice clerk saying "I'm the dumbass in 1614 who can't seem to remember my key card, please help and hurry lest we inflict this on your other guests!" She didn't even blink, asked "Inflict?", I gestured at myself and she said "Your attire? I think you look fabulous." and handed me a new key card while telling me to have a good rest of my night.

I went back to my room, sat down at my laptop and wrote corp and the hotel to compliment her on her kindness and professionalism. I'm good at suck up letters, I didn't once mention her skills at lying!

I didn't once mention her skills at lying!
    That falls under "excellent customer service"
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I guess you're not out in public much, I've seen people walking around the street in PJs and slippers fairly often. Or worse.

Comment

In Colorado wearing PJs and slippers is the official state clothing.

Comment

What is it about the "click" of a hotel door latch that tends to jog your memory?

If you have all of your essential bits covered, you're good. Beyond that... Fake it till you make it.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

If you waltz down with a certain confidence in your stride, your attire matters little. If you're REAL good, you're halfway down the hallway back to your room before "Wait, was that one nekkid?" hits.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
              I guess you're not out in public much, I've seen people walking around the street in PJs and slippers fairly often. Or worse.
              I've seen just as bad. At least you weren't naked or stuck in more scantily-clad lingerie.

Quoth EricKei View Post
              That falls under "excellent customer service"
              Yup

Comment

Folks come into the bank lobby in pajama pants all the time. Nobody bats an eye.

Only a step up (or maybe down) from slippers, but Goodhair comes to work wearing crocs most of the time. Fleece-lined, camo crocs, but still crocs.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  What is it about the "click" of a hotel door latch that tends to jog your memory?
                  You sure nailed that one!

Thank you for all being so kind, I'm all old and stuff, being seen in pajamas is just NOT DONE for people of my generation.

Crocs outside the garden are totally unacceptable as well.

In other news, I grew up knowing that tipping the maid was part of staying at a hotel, so I did so every day for the first week and thought the cleaning/restocking was very poor and erratic.

I had to go to the lobby (fully dressed) to get toilet paper one night because the almost empty roll wasn't changed and the cleaner didn't leave a new one.

Another time, the used towels were removed but new ones didn't appear. That prompted another trip to the lobby because I am too large to use hand towels for effective drying.

The first day of the next week, I didn't leave a tip and the cleaner restocked everything very nicely, stood my electric toothbrush on end, emptied the coffee maker and ran the dishwasher. My guilt was overwhelming, so of course I left a tip on the next day.

Who didn't restock the coffee supplies or give me more toilet paper. At least I had towels.

It was very strange, usually when I tip the cleaner daily, I can tell that my room got cleaned to an inch of its life. Maybe its because now that they are making 10.50/hr, my paltry 3 buck tips weren't enough?

Comment

As I learned it, the tip for a hotel maid gets left at the end of your stay. You may have been telling the maid of the day that you were about to leave.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                      I've seen just as bad. At least you weren't naked or stuck in more scantily-clad lingerie.
                      I haven't seen naked, but I have seen night gowns and robes in the breakfast areas.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

So many people I've dealt with come locked out, that I always make sure I have my own card rather than doing the walk of shame. I've seen old people, young, middle aged, kids. I remember a group of guys throwing their keys together and mixing it up, and coming crying to the front desk. Good times.
                        They all had clothes on though. I've only seen one in underwear and that was in the halls, he was too ashamed to ask for help in the lobby.
                        Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                        The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                        X