This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major FF memory leak problems

My desktop is a homebuilt running Win7. Starting a few days ago, I've been getting an error popup saying that "Your computer is running low on memory" and to close a program--always Firefox (sometimes even before I've started it).

FF is up-to-date that I know of (64-bit version, I think the newest is 67-something). The max number of tabs I have open right now is 3, and Task Manager shows 7 instances.

I run regular virus/spyware scans, just ran them yesterday. Has anyone else heard of this particular issue?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Try manually updating it. There may also be plugins which need updating.

What CPU does your machine have? The various spectre/meltdown mitigations have been slowing things down more and more with every update, and the older your CPU the more apply... (I'm still using a 1st generation i7 and it's getting intolerable.)

Comment

My CPU is an AMD; FX6300 Vishera core. I've also noticed that one of my hard drives (I have one SSD and one HDD) occasionally gets noisier than usual on occasion. I haven't been able to connect it to the errors/crashes.

Windows patches are a minor headache; it always wants to download/install 10 first and if that particular KB is aborted or skipped none of the others will successfully install.

Comment

I have noticed that FF is hogging more ram in the last few updates. sometime around version 50 it started eating more ram for the extensions that i run (lastpass and ublock origin). they did change how the extensions work, i think they rewrote the API for them, to make them more secure. you might try turning off any extensions you have and then turning them each on to see if this is your issue.
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

All I rally know about the issue is that FF has been a notorious memory hog for ages. Hadn't heard of it being THAT bad, tho o_O
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm up to 11 processes for FF, but I have over 100 tabs open continuously. (Yes, really. And I know, "Holy ") I'm running about 4GB of RAM for the whole mess right now. Some pages tend to be less memory friendly than others. FaceBook, and those clickbait sites tend to be some of the worst offenders in that regard.

Comment

Buzzard - That's nothing. Friend of mine used to a) insist on keeping 3~400 tabs open all at once on FF, but b) refused to even consider looking for an extension that could keep track of and re-open them all case of a crash or simply closing the browser. This was in the Win 7~8 days (we do not speak of V!), I dunno if it had automatic "Restore last session" up and properly running back then. As a result, he simply never rebooted nor shut down his laptop for any reason...and also complained to me that it was really damn slow. Geez I wonder why? >__<
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Firefox needs alot of ram today, it depends alot what sites a open.
                A static, pure-html page might add a few megabytes to the "core" of firefox.
                A 3D-Planner might need a few gigabytes of ram on the other hand.

You might want to concider upgrading to 10, as 7 support will drop next february.
                Upgrading is free, even much slower core2duo machines run better with 10.
                Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Quoth Zeddi View Post
                  You might want to concider upgrading to 10, as 7 support will drop next february.
                  When W7 support drops I plan to upgrade all the way to linux. :-P

Comment

Eric, my mom is having a similar problem (she keeps her laptop on 24/7 which it was not designed for, which I think is part of the reason for her slowdowns/crashes). Despite my constant objections and evidence that it is causing problems, she will have up to 30 tabs open at once. Non-issue on a desktop, but...this is a laptop which I have to go behind her back to do updates on. If something tries to update while she's using it she will abort the process because "that popup is annoying".

I managed to get her onto Win7, but have gone "on record" as needing to charge my full rate for support if she wants to keep it once official support is dropped (ie, not learn Linux) due to the complexities of applying any future patches.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-14-2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X