This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My project this week

Background: My boyfriend is an older man. He was widowed in the late 90's and his daughters graduated from high school just a few years later. Since then, he's been (mostly) living by himself in a gigantic house (4500 square feet or so). You can really tell what rooms he spends his time in. Those rooms are clean, but the rest of the house, well, let's just say that you can tell he never goes into those rooms. These days, I'm in the house a lot, along with my kids. My kids are using many of the rooms that have sat unused for over a decade, and those rooms are dusty and cluttered, which makes me not a happy mama. /end background.

So, this week he's out of town. He has pets, so he asked me to come over every day to take care of them. I've discussed with him in the past about getting the previously unused parts of the house clean. I decided that this week would be a great time to do it, since I'll be at the house and by myself, and having nothing else to do, I might as well get to cleaning. Today was day one. 4 hours later I've finished one room. Well, one room and a little bit. We discussed switching the tables in the formal and informal dining rooms, so to get the formal dining room done, I had to do about half the informal dining room.

Anyway, this is a MUCH bigger project than I anticipated. I was thinking I'd be able to get to the entire house, including the third floor bedrooms, but now I'm thinking I might only be able to get the first and second floor living areas done. I'm kinda bummed about that. Between my parents' rental properties and cleaning up after major hurricanes, I'm really good at this sort of thing, and I was really hoping to give him a jaw-dropping surprise when he gets back next week. He's knows I'm cleaning, but I wanted to make it a major transformation. Hopefully, I can still do that. Wish me luck!
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

It may not be all you want it to be, but it sounds like it will be a major transformation.

By the way... Are you going to be in the Atlanta area any time? Just asking.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Gods love ya....I hate housekeeping!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

MoonCat, I hate housekeeping too, but I hate dust even more! Actually, I'm terrible at the day to day upkeep, but give me a giant disaster, and I'm really, really good at sorting through it and getting things done. In this case, however, I have an ulterior motive: my kids. Without going into too much detail, we spend more time here than we should, and the dust is bothering the kids.

csquared, I'm not going to be in your area any time soon, but I have a few sisters in Alpharetta who are pretty good at this sort of stuff too. Though I'm pretty sure they hate it even more than I do.

Progress report: The dining room is completely done. Well, done to the extent I'm going to do. I'm not touching the vinyl record collection. I don't have a death wish. I've also gotten the entry way and most of the living room on the second floor done. I have to figure out what to do with some stuff that was stashed in corners and vacuum the carpets under that stuff, then I'm done with that. Next up is the living room/den on the first floor, then all three bathrooms, and then the kitchen. He's given me permission to rearrange the kitchen the way I want it, since I'm doing a lot of cooking here, and he doesn't really cook when he's alone. If I get all that done, then I'll get the three non-master bedrooms on the third floor done. One of them isn't so bad, but the other two are pretty cluttered. I'm also not messing with his room except the bathroom, as his bedroom/bathroom is tidy and just needs a regular weekly cleaning.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

For figuring out what to do with stuff you've moved, how about turning one of the unused rooms on each floor into dedicated storage? The smallest bedroom, maybe? Move any furniture to one corner of the room or dismantle it if possible, then start stacking stuff in the room as neatly as possible, maybe even grouped according to what room it came out of originally.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

But what about the motorcycle transmission in the living room?!?!

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              You really do have interesting friends
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                Living room? What kind of person puts a motocycler transmission in the living room? It needs to go in the den or the kitchen.

RE: Yours sisters. Cumming is just north of Alpharetta.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                  Quoth csquared View Post
                  Living room? What kind of person puts a motocycler transmission in the living room? It needs to go in the den or the kitchen.
                  Definitely - the living room is where you work on the ENGINE.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post

RE: Yours sisters. Cumming is just north of Alpharetta.
                    Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Definitely - the living room is where you work on the ENGINE.
                    If he was actually working on it...

Apparently they go into the living room until you get around to, ya know, actually fixing the bike that nearly killed you six months ago.

In other news, I'm pretty sure I got my strength training in for the day today. One thing I didn't do in the second floor living room is move the piano. The piano is this 1870's standard upright (the tall version, not the short or "studio" version". Modern pianos are heavy, but nothing like the antiques. I had to get on the floor and brace myself against the wall, and use my legs to push it while my son helped balance and guide the top.

Comment

Working...
                    X