This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEEP BEEP BEEP *argh*

So for the last half-hour, every ten minutes or so, I've been getting a call. Unknown Name/Unknown Number comes up on the ID, and when I pick up, it's just a repeating beep.

BEEP
    one
    two
    three
    four
    five
    BEEP
    (repeat)

It's annoying the hell out of me. If I don't pick up the call, it uses up my voicemail. If I deny the call, it goes straight to voicemail. There's no way to just make it stop!

MAKE IT STOP! *cries*

ETA: And again! It's LESS than 10 minutes between calls!

I'm scared of my phone. *sobs*

ETA2: Two minutes. It's now two minutes between calls.

At this rate, I'll be insane by the time my coworker gets here.
    Last edited by KiaKat; 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM.

LOL It's a fax machine on auto-redial.

We had one call the house for over 2 hours straight. We just turned the ringer off on the phones though.

Not sure what to do about the voicemail thing =\
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

That's what I figured.

I just had it call again.

And I can't turn off the ringer, or not pick up, because it's the store phone, and we have some customers who I know have that same ID come up.

It's probably one of those stupid travel companies that is always faxing the other store and using up their paper.

ETA: I think maybe I'll just stop answering the phone for the next hour. >.<
      Last edited by KiaKat; 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Is there a way of dialling a number to get the number that's ringing you? (if that makes sense any) Then fax them a cover sheet explaining that the real fax number for x company is XXXXX XXXXXX and that they need to redial...
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Oh God yes, the guy with the fax machine on redial, oblivious to the fact that he's got a wrong number. I would get up to a dozen of these on the answering machine every day. At one point it was so bad that I considered hooking up a fax machine, intercepting the result, and letting the sender be none the wiser.

On my parents' old fax machine, if you accidentally called a phone number instead of a fax line, you could sometimes hear, very faintly, the "Hello?" of the person on the other end. Hm, maybe this fax machine worked the same way. The phone rang, the fax machine beeped, and I picked up the phone and shouted, "This is not a fax machine!"

Ten minutes later, rinse and repeat: "This is NOT a FAX MACHINE!"

Ten minutes later, rinse and repeat. Pausing only long enough to punch a fist-sized hole in the wall, I grabbed the receiver and yelled loud enough to alert six other apartments: "PICK UP THE F***ING PHONE!"

*click*

That was actually the last such call for about three years.

Love, Who?

Comment

Sometimes it could be a company's autodialer... usually if you hit the pound key a few times it'll hang up and take your number off it's list.

Also, it could also be someone using a modem to "war-dial" a list of numbers... but usually those only dial once or twice and then move onto the next number.

Most likely, it's a fax on autodial.. but just wanted to give other possibilities.
            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X