This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you never thought you'd see...

Ever see something that you thought you'd never see? Post it here!

Today, at work, I saw a person's driver's license photo that actually looked better than the person.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Oh, I've got a few of those.

~Coming home after my last day of finals, I saw a group of six bikers with their bikes decorated with Christmas wreaths, little trees, toy snowmen, and the like. And they had Santa hats on.

~At the Denver airport, I saw a guy in, I kid you not, a camo-print kilt. It was actually kinda cool-lookin'.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
      ~At the Denver airport, I saw a guy in, I kid you not, a camo-print kilt. It was actually kinda cool-lookin'.
      Utilikilts sport desert camo as a color choice.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
        Hah that might have been one of my friends. He made his own camo kilt and I know he went to Denver sometime in the past year

Comment

Quoth SengaKitty View Post
          Hah that might have been one of my friends. He made his own camo kilt and I know he went to Denver sometime in the past year
          If he was there last month-- the 28th of December, to be specific--it might've been him. It caught me off-guard when I saw it because, even though men in kilts isn't exactly uncommon in Colorado (heck, I almost need two hands to count the number of times I've seen guys in kilts just at school), a camo kilt was definitely something I hadn't seen before.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I saw my customer go put back an item she didn't want in the correct place. Almost fainted.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              I saw my customer go put back an item she didn't want in the correct place. Almost fainted.
              Don't follow me around then. Unless you give me a chance to put the paramedics on speed dial first.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I do that. Sometimes I even put back stuff other people have left in the wrong place. I just hate it when people are too lazy to take stuff back where they got it from, especially when they leave it about 5 feet away from where it belongs.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Okay, I know I've commented on the weirdness of Key West, but once again I have to say that living here has made it so that there is very little that I haven't seen or that surprises me. That being said, I will try to mention things that I never thought I'd see before I lived here--some of which didn't even happen here! (And those things that did not happen in KW are so noted.)

A clothing optional bar.

Me working at a clothing optional bar!

Karaoke with a drag queen DJ. (Cape Cod.)

Bed races with drag queens pushing the beds at breakneck speeds in breakneck pumps. (Key West AND Cape Cod.)

Drag races without cars, where it is actually drag queens racing through an obstacle course.

A scooter done up all in pink with pink feathers and other pink accessories to evoke a flamingo theme.

A 250+ pound old guy with a beard in a pink tutu. On a regular basis. (Dude's a scream!)

Women wearing nothing but body paint walking into where I work as if it is perfectly normal. (Fantasy Fest is an interesting time.)

Me barely noticing women wearing nothing but body paint walking into where I work as if it is perfectly normal. (Amazing what you can get used to!)

A naval battle in which the two opposing forces use as their ammunition toilet paper, stale Cuban bread, and a variety of produce, launched ship-to-ship and dropped as "bombs" from aircraft on to ships. (Conch Republic Independence Days is also pretty cool.)

A dog upon which rides a cat upon which rides a mouse. (I used to have a picture of that one. I may still, but can't seem to find it in my computer.)

My name on an actual official election ballot. (I ran for Mayor of my home town many years ago.)

Me hooking up with not one, but two of my old high gal pals, 15+ years after graduation.

A Chicken Store. They don't sell chickens, mind you, but paraphernalia about the Key West chickens. See, we have chickens running wild in the streets (seriously), and most people either love them or hate them. The Chicken Store is the ultimate example of chicken love. Very strange store in a very strange town.

Me in my forties. (Still can't believe that one!)

People dressed up as superheroes, using underwear and duct tape to make their costumes, running around in the rain during a hurricane, "helping" the citizenry. (My favorite, of course, was the girl in the duct tape bikini.) I believe that was Hurricane Rita in '05, but don't quote me on it.

Someone dressed in a costume as a giant penis being arrested for indecent exposure. This actually happened many years ago during Fantasy Fest. The charges were later dropped.

Flying fish...on land. (Pike Place Market, Seattle.)

An elderly woman walking faster than I'm going on my bike. (San Francisco has some seriously major hills!)

A clothing optional bar, on a pier, with a pool, sun deck, and grill. Sadly, this place closed a few years ago. Best place ever to spend with a hangover!

A drag queen in a giant ruby red slipper being lowered to commemorate New Year's Eve. Also a pirate wench being lowered down the mast of a pirate ship for the same reason. Two of the three NYE lowerings in Key West. (The third being the lowering of a giant conch shell at Sloppy Joe's.)

The day someone actually hired me to do magic at their wife's birthday party...in Las Vegas. (March, 2006.)

I am sure there are others I've forgotten, some perhaps even outside the realms of this crazy island.

Who's next?

My 5 year old niece shocked everyone at the toy store I do magic at, including me, when, after she was done playing with/checking out any toy or item, she made a point of putting it right back where she found it! The staff and myself deal with hundreds of kids every day (well, me one day a week, them all week long), and we almost never see this!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Some of Jester's remarks sound a lot like the Allentown area in Buffalo. Drag queens, dyke parades, weird costumes... No chickens, though.

I can't really think of anything, except maybe "my name on the mortgage papers to a house." Buying a house was something I never thought I'd be able to do. I'm still amazed, 5+ years into it.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

oooo I've got one!

riding home on the bike path I saw two Siberian huskies.....not an unusual sight on the bike path....until I realized that yes they were in fact harnessed up and pulling a dogsled......
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I was in the pharmacy waiting in line when an old woman called out to the pharmacist and starts yodeling. I was It was the first time in the five years I have been going there that I saw the pharmacist smile.
                        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          Some of Jester's remarks sound a lot like the Allentown area in Buffalo. Drag queens, dyke parades, weird costumes... No chickens, though.

some of Jesters remarks are just another night at a showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. the only difference is it tends to get cold up here (not horror upon horror 45 degree F type cold either) during winter so the costumes (or lack thereof) tend to show up inside.

and during Halloween is a WHOLE different story. just another heavy party day at the bars near the theater.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

That may be so, Racket Man, but a lot of the stuff I see down here is a normal, everyday occurrence, not tied to a movie or special event, and sometimes done for no reason whatsoever.

This town is weird. Maybe not the weirdest place ever, but the weirdest I've ever been to!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, I thought of you today!

So I was at the Grocery Store of Awesome, in the liquor department, and thought I would see if they carried 10 Cane rum. Because it's evidently the worst rum in the world, I wanted to see what the bottle looked like so I could avoid it.

And the answer is: very cheap. A plain glass bottle with an orange label. Yes, they did carry it. I didn't bother to check the price.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X