This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupidity 101 with EVILkitten

I'm fairly new to this site so I will give you guys a little background information. I work at an electronics retail company, let's just call it "Worst Buy" for the sake of privacy. This is my first job in retail but I've been in customer service for almost 4 years. My current position at the store is a multi-channel sales assistant. So basically I answer questions about store hours, pricing information, availability on products, and occassionally transfer calls. Background End.

Um... You called ME....

Me: "Thank you for calling WBuy at Busy Location, this is EVILkitten, how can I help you today?"
    SC: "Um yeah, is this WBuy?"

No. We only make you sit through listening to an automated machine that let's you know the business name and location, and I only answer the phone with the business name and location, JUST so I can say, "haha!!! gotcha!!! This is really Joe's Mortuary!"

I saw that online!!

SC: "I was wanting to know if you guys have Lion for Mac in stock at the store"
    Me: *Looking online and doing a physical check in the software cage* "No, it looks like the only software we carry for the mac is OS X Tiger, and Mac Office."
    SC: "Oh well that's funny, because I just saw it online" ---she says while she's laughing at me like an idiot, with the snottiest voice she can obviously muster.
    Me: "Well THAT'S funny, because I didn't see it online, and I'm standing right in front of the software and I don't see it."
    SC: (Not giving up without a fight, still laughing at me like I'm stupid) "Well that's impossible, you obviously aren't looking right."

Right. Because it's so complicated typing in "Lion" in the browser of my inventory system. Absolutely. I must've gotten lost somewhere between that pesky "i" and that naughty "o". Silly me.

That's some easy overtime money

Me: *Opening spiel*
    SC: "Yeah, are you guys open?"

No we're not open. I enjoy sitting here at closing time in order to answer calls from idiot customers like you. Just to say, "No we're closed, have a nice evening." Click.

Front lane Horror

So occassionally I will have to work a front lane shift, and there basically I am a cashier. Now normally, this isn't a very demanding job, it's just really repetitive and boring. But there are several things that piss me off. These are just a few of them.

Me: "How are you doing today sir?"
    SC: "YEAH."
    Me: ".....okay, do you have a rewards card with us?"
    SC: "A WHAT??!"
    Me: "....nevermind. Okay so you're total will be $XX.XX. Will that be on your WBuy card today?"
    SC: "I ain't puttin' no more money on that G*DD*MM*D card no more! You people are rippin' me off G*D D*MM*T!!!"

Really. A simple no would've sufficed. Or these gems....

SC: "WAIT WAIT WAIT. That ($5 item) is supposed to be (only a dollar less). I need you to fix that immediately."
    Me: *After going to physically look at the product* "Okay ma'am it looks like that one is ($5), there was a tag next to it so I can see how you might've been misled."
    SC: "Look, you need to start pricing stuff better!!! Every time I come in here everything is in the wrong spot! So. YOU!!! need to price it with the right price. And YOU!!! need to change this price for me right away. That's ridiculous. I'm not paying that extra ($1)!!!!!!"

Do you see my nametag? It says "EVILkitten- Sales Operator" Last time i checked, it didn't say "Price tag printer" or "Label Inspector". And as far as I know, I've never gotten my degree to be an english teacher, so next time, read the product label yourself, because that's not my job.

--"Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there'd be a hell of a population drop."---[I]Laurell K. Hamilton, The Anita Blake Series[/I]

Howdy! And welcome!

Comment

Quoth EVILkitten View Post

No we're not open. I enjoy sitting here at closing time in order to answer calls from idiot customers like you. Just to say, "No we're closed, have a nice evening." Click.
      Actually, even if the store is closed, some places will still tell you that you have to answer the phone, even to say, "Yes Sir, our store just closed a minute ago", or even, "We're closing in 5 minutes". Hopefully they would get the hint if the store closed at midnight and the phone would keep ringing without someone picking up.

Comment

I can see why they would think I would answer the phone after we closed, but the way our Voip system works, we log out at the same time we close the store, and if the phone's logged out, it will automatically give an automated message saying the store's closed, and press yadda yadda for store hours and so on.... I just don't get why regular customers ask me if we're open when they call every day and are in the store every other day.... Just really annoying....

Comment

We had to do that at DaddyJim's. We generally got away with "TY for calling Daddy Jim's on (street), I'm sorry but we're closed." We were absolutely required to answer the phone up until the "set the alarm and run like hell" moment x.x The DM delighted in calling us an hour after close for just that purpose.

Bonus points for guessing how many people responded to that by either giving us their phone number or what they wanted to order... >_>

Welcome to CS, EVILkitten!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Front lane Horror
            I hated getting yelled at when I worked at Wally world for the credit card offer. I stopped offering it after a while. We were set in a rural area during the beginning of the recession. Do you think people are going to sign up for credit cards?

And the price nitpickers drive me nuts too. Of course it doesn't help that my current store is so understaffed or misstaffed that there are pricing mistakes everywhere, but when the signs are marked right and you misinterpret how is that the cashier's fault?

So lots of whatever chocolate you crave Evilkitten and welcome to CS!
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

No. We only make you sit through listening to an automated machine that let's you know the business name and location, and I only answer the phone with the business name and location, JUST so I can say, "haha!!! gotcha!!! This is really Joe's Mortuary!"
              This is why one of the companies I'm trained to take calls for just has us say "This is BTDT, how may I assist you?" They figure the customer has already heard the company name a few times before they get to us...and mostly people are good with this. Of course we do get a few who ask if we truly are *company*...

SC: "Look, you need to start pricing stuff better!!! Every time I come in here everything is in the wrong spot! So. YOU!!! need to price it with the right price. And YOU!!! need to change this price for me right away. That's ridiculous. I'm not paying that extra ($1)!!!!!!"
              I hate these people. We get them on the phone all the time...complaining about how much money they've spent with us and how much trouble they've had every time they order or take delivery. So why do you keep doing it, then?? I know, that's the billion dollar question on this site, but really! Are they really that masochistic that they must keep trying just to see if we get it wrong again? Some of them even admit as much but they still complain... Once in a while they'll clarify that they know it's not MY fault personally but they're perfectly willing to rant to me anyway...
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                We had to do that at DaddyJim's. We generally got away with "TY for calling Daddy Jim's on (street), I'm sorry but we're closed." We were absolutely required to answer the phone up until the "set the alarm and run like hell" moment x.x The DM delighted in calling us an hour after close for just that purpose.

Bonus points for guessing how many people responded to that by either giving us their phone number or what they wanted to order... >_>

Welcome to CS, EVILkitten!
                just like my store ---- ALMOST EVRYONE WHO CALLED after close
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Cool a fellow worstbuy person! Well technically I work for a business that works for worstbuy. Welcome to the forums.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've done this on occasion. But I don't form it in the form of a stupid question. If I don't know a business's hours, I call. If they don't have a recording of their hours, and instead I get a live person, I usually say something like "Hi, I was just calling to check if you were open."

Front lane Horror
                    No reason to flip out at you for a rewards card. I'll admit I don't like being offered the store's CC, but free rewards cards for places for places I frequent? Hell yes! I even saved up enough points to get $10 off my 360 purchase back in Feb. (I'd like to exchange gamertags with some of the members here.)
                    Last edited by Mr Hero; 03-04-2012, 11:25 AM.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I saw that online!!

SC: "I was wanting to know if you guys have Lion for Mac in stock at the store"
                      Me: *Looking online and doing a physical check in the software cage* "No, it looks like the only software we carry for the mac is OS X Tiger, and Mac Office."
                      SC: "Oh well that's funny, because I just saw it online" ---she says while she's laughing at me like an idiot, with the snottiest voice she can obviously muster.
                      Me: "Well THAT'S funny, because I didn't see it online, and I'm standing right in front of the software and I don't see it."
                      SC: (Not giving up without a fight, still laughing at me like I'm stupid) "Well that's impossible, you obviously aren't looking right."

Right. Because it's so complicated typing in "Lion" in the browser of my inventory system. Absolutely. I must've gotten lost somewhere between that pesky "i" and that naughty "o". Silly me.
                      Last I heard, the only way to get Lion was via download from Apple or via USB stick from Apple. I have yet to see a brick and mortar with it for sale.

Comment

You might not see it. I know Apple sells it on a thumbdrive if you don't want to download it, but I don't know if they're releasing it to stores.

Although... wait, your store still has Tiger in stock?
                        Are you sure it's not Snow Leopard?

I'm just a bit surprised because I thought they pulled the previous versions from the shelves. And I'm also surprised there's a market for a version that's been replaced 3 times now. (Tiger is 10.4, and Lion is 10.7).

I get something similar only people usually ask if we close at the same time as the rest of the store (yes) or if they need an appointment for their computers (no).

but really, afaik the phones don't accept incoming calls if the store isn't open.
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X