This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very mixed end of the year.

I've had a very mixed end of the year. Christmas was very nice. My wife and I both got each other nice gifts, and our son enjoyed what we got him.

However...

My father passed away on the morning of Dec. 29th. It hasn't completely sunk in yet, and we weren't as close as we could have been. He was 67.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I am sorry to hear that. My personal experience is that it may take a while to absorb, especially if you are distracted making arrangements. It's okay if you don't really know how to feel, too. I think I grieved for my dad in bits and pieces over a long time period. I hope his end was a peaceful one.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      I am sorry to hear that. My personal experience is that it may take a while to absorb, especially if you are distracted making arrangements. It's okay if you don't really know how to feel, too. I think I grieved for my dad in bits and pieces over a long time period. I hope his end was a peaceful one.
      Thank you.

My sister is making the arrangements. She's been keeping me posted, though. It's looking like it will be sometime next week, though.

He was in the Navy, and served in Vietnam, and my sister is trying to set up a Navy Military Honors funeral through the funeral home. I'm not sure to what extent (some funerals do a 3-round volley, and some don't). Based on my reading, and a YouTube video, the minimum is Taps, and the folding and presenting of the flag.

He was a Petty Officer Third Class (E-4), and Aviation Structure Mechanic (Hydraulic), making him AMH3.

It hasn't fully hit me yet, but I did catch myself choking up a little even reading about it and watching the video of what happens at Military Honors funerals.
      Last edited by mjr; 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

My understanding is that you get the "flag ceremony". Flag draped coffin, folded and present by an honor guard, and taps (it may be a recording).

You may want to contact the local VFW lodge. You may find volunteers for the salute or other services.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard at any time of the year, never mind during the holidays.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

So I've been reading up on protocols for these Standard Honors funerals.

I even watched a Navy Training video that shows the process. I found it informative.

I'm hoping I get the shell casings, too. But not in the flag.

Comment

It's certainly a rotten time of the year to lose loved ones- my partners father also passed away on Boxing Day so I can empathise with how you might be feeling. He was 92 tho so it was expected... 67 is no age. I am sorry for your loss.

Comment

My sympathies. My father passed away on his 60th birthday, which was December 26, 2000. It's always rough.

Comment

My sympathies as well. It can make holidays hard. My dad died on my birthday.

Comment

Also: May his memory be a blessing.

Comment

I already know that I'm gonna cry at the funeral.

My sister is coordinating everything, but since I'm next of kin, I get the folded flag.

I know that there's near a 100% chance that either during Taps or during the flag presentation I'm gonna lose it.

I've already told my wife that I want her sitting next to me at the funeral. Usually when we go places our son sits between us. I don't know when the funeral is yet.

I even found a short clip on YouTube of "Nearer, My God, To Thee" played on violin that I listened to.

I wasn't as close to my dad as I probably could have been, and I regret now that I didn't get closer to him as an adult. The very morning that my sister called me and told me, I cracked open a beer, did a "here's to you" type thing, and "poured one out" for him.

Comment

You have my deepest sympathies. My mum didn't even make it 7 hours into 2019.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                          You have my deepest sympathies. My mum didn't even make it 7 hours into 2019.
                          Wow. My condolences. You have my sympathies as well.

Comment

So sorry for everyone's losses. It's never easy. Peace to you!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So my dad is being laid to rest on Friday...

I hope it's OK for me to drop these here...

"Memories" by Elvis Presley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsh10Gldxg

A rendition of "Nearer, My God, To Thee": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCry7JVLZUs

"Let It Be" by The Beatles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYfEBY9NM4

Comment

Working...
                              X