This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Credit Card Customer

The other day, a customer slid his card through the machine and it wouldn't read (this machine seems to not read cards quite a bit). Eventually, I stepped in and blew into the area that the card slides through (this tricks works quite a bit but is probably rarely known). Since that didn't work this time, I used a plastic bag (the known trick). The customer wanted me to put the card in manually and I let him know that I wasn't allowed since the numbers weren't raised. He told me that it was done for him before. A supervisor came over and mentioned the same thing I did and that the manual machine wouldn't imprint the card.

The supervisor found out that someone had done what the customer had said and mentioned that the employee would probably be suspended. The customer ended up using a different card to pay which ended up working.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Ugh.
    One of my all time pet hates.

When you advise the customer of something - and what you are telling them is the rule. The policy. The way things are meant to be done.

Only for them to turn around and whinge 'but OTHER EMPLOYEE did it for me last time!'

And you think no, ha, surely not. the customer is lying. Because for *other employee* to have done it last time, they'd had had to have breached company policy. And you just *know* they didn't do that...right?

So you tell the customer with your eyebrows slightly raised...er no, well, I cant speak for what other people may or may not have done...but what I'm advising you is company policy, sooo...

They whinge some more. Demand a manager. Manager ends up looking into their claim, and OH MY WORD *other employee* did in fact breach company policy last time!

And so the manager inevitebly folds. Breaches policy yet again for angry, angry customer.

And you end up standing there looking like an idiot

Comment

One thing that my managers will not bend on ever (no matter how the SCs may bitch) is running credit cards. Cashiers are not supposed to EVER input a card manually, a manager needs to be the one to key it in (usually we call a sup to save the order and send customer to the service desk so as not to hold up a line).

We've had SCs call the store with credit card numbers: "I'm shopping for a family and want a delivery and someone told me I could just call and give you the card number."...if you have the card, why not just come in and shop? (simple answer: they probably don't really have a card) Or do it online.

Nu-uh. Unless it's a store gift card (which we have a few ways of verifying), bring the card or no food for you.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A credit card without an imprint? Other than a store card, what sort of devilry is this?

OTOH, I suppose mechanical imprints are so rare these days, it isn't really needed any more. And I can't imagine that a set of embossing dies is that expensive if you are already a thief going to all the trouble to obtain a card printer, so it wouldn't reduce fraud much.

Comment

There's a bank/credit union or something by me that doesn't have raised numbers on their cards. If for some reason a card won't scan we're able to manually input the numbers on the register but it also asks for the zipcode and a signature. As far as I know this system works pretty well for us. We don't have any non-electronic way to accept cards.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

we have no way at all to manually put in a credit card or debit card. we manually put in food stamps/ebt or store gift cars, but not credit or debit cards. I had a guy come through my register the other day and handed me is card. I pointed to the machine and told him he had to do it there, and he told me we had to do it manually because the strip was messed up. I told him we couldn't. We weren't allowed, it's against company policy. He tried to argue with me about it and asked me what he was supposed to do if we couldn't type his card in. I didn't think about it later, but I should've told him to get a new card if that one was messed up. I'm sure if he complained, I would've had my floor supervisor back me up. She was in a bad/no nonsense kinda mood. I offered to call someone to my register to verify what I was saying was true, but he wouldn't have any of that and just walked out without his stuff.

As far as customers saying that employees have done things for them before that we're telling them we can't do, my co-worker once told me what he tells employees when they say that. He asks them "Do you remember who it was? I need to know so they can have a stern talking to. Just because they did it doesn't mean we're supposed to. " He said they kinda sputter after that.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
              A credit card without an imprint? Other than a store card, what sort of devilry is this?

OTOH, I suppose mechanical imprints are so rare these days, it isn't really needed any more. And I can't imagine that a set of embossing dies is that expensive if you are already a thief going to all the trouble to obtain a card printer, so it wouldn't reduce fraud much.
              Not too long ago, back when I worked for a computer store for almpst 3 years, we actually had to imprint each and every single credit card. 1 customer tried to scratch it out when we did that, and when I told them they weren't allowed to do that and I called a manager, the customer threw a very big fit. Of course, this was also before a little problem known as "Identity Theft" became more commonly known

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post

I know Mastercard gift cards don't have raised numbers (just bought one the other day). I'm not sure about Visa though.

Comment

Quoth kpzra View Post
                  I know Mastercard gift cards don't have raised numbers (just bought one the other day). I'm not sure about Visa though.
                  I have a Visa gift card that does not have raised numbers.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The bank we do business with at C-Store issues debit/credit cards without raised numbers. It's basically because they have some sort of make-them-on-the-spot thing or something, and they're able to be personalized. Those cards are the ones that I find myself using the plastic bag trick on most often. By the way, you only THINK that's a known trick. A lot of people look at me like I've grown a second head when I use the plastic bag!
                    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

On our old machines when I had a card that wouldn't scan I could run it from bottom to the top and it almost always would scan that way. I haven't had to try it on our new machines yet, now we just have problems with the signature pads.

Comment

Putting tape over the magnetic strip somethings works, though obviously for that one you want permission from the customer to do it. One of my guests suggested that when his card was being fussy.

Comment

I've never tried tape, but the running the card backwards thing does work a lot of times. Oh, and a lot of people say to use cash register tape (paper) but I can never get that to work. I end up ripping the paper or something.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

And for some bank cards, running them as credit instead of debit will occasionally work too. (If you're jammed up and custy doesn't have some other payment, it's worth a shot.)

Comment

My bank has flat cards. I guess the machine is (relatively) cheaper and smaller, so we can afford having one at every branch, which means you don't have to wait for a card to be mailed: it can be printed out immediately. To get the cards with the raised numbers, we have to order them from whatever central card printer makes them, so the customers have to wait.

Funny thing: the people who want debit cards seem to always want the quick card, while those getting credit cards are more likely to ask to have them mailed, despite the wait, in order to get the raised numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X