Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd probably be willing to do a Patreon-style donation too, if it helps things.

Quoth XCashier View Post
    I comment on Retail too, but under the name Luna. Used to use my real first name, then someone else with the same name who joined later called me a "name thief".
    Isn't that always the way? Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      ...whether with a trim of the posts for the sake of the DB...
      Question: Is it possible to download a static copy of the entire forum? Or the database that contains all the posts? I'm fairly sure I don't have time to manually copy all of my posts and my favorite stories before the six-week deadline hits, but I have a passing familiarity with SQL, so if given access, I could probably extract what I would like to keep...
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in discussion with someone who is interested in taking the place on as it is (no trimming) and capable of doing so. As long as this comes off, and I'm not interested in making promises here, things wouldn't change once the transfer takes place.

I have had several expressions of interest, and given the time scale so far that's quite pleasing, but this is currently my preferred option.

Holding your breath is not advised, but things are looking optimistic.

Rapscallion

Comment

Crossing fingers and toes and whatever else I can.
          Meeeeoooow.....
          Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Sorry to hear that; I've been mostly lurking here, but this site has provided me with years of entertainment.

Thanks, Raps, for your work here over the years.
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
              Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.
              Two writers may have similar ideas, but that does not mean that one ripped off the other. There are so many books and so little time, it would be impossible to read everything ever published and make sure you're not copying someone else. It's certainly not possible to travel in time and copy something that will be published long after your book is!

Back on topic, would hosting small advertising banners be helpful, or would that be more trouble than it's worth? Just an idea.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                Isn't that always the way? Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.
                [OT] Do you recall the title of that book? Was it per chance the Crestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones? [/OT]
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in discussion with someone who is interested in taking the place on as it is (no trimming) and capable of doing so. As long as this comes off, and I'm not interested in making promises here, things wouldn't change once the transfer takes place.

I have had several expressions of interest, and given the time scale so far that's quite pleasing, but this is currently my preferred option.

Holding your breath is not advised, but things are looking optimistic.

Rapscallion
                  Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Thanks for the update, Raps. Got a whole box of candles lit . . .

Comment

• Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Two writers may have similar ideas, but that does not mean that one ripped off the other. There are so many books and so little time, it would be impossible to read everything ever published and make sure you're not copying someone else.
                      Indeed, it's a commonplace "proverb" within SF/F that "there are no new ideas, what matters is what you do with them". Of course, that's not literally true... once in a great while, a truly new idea comes along, but it's really not common. Surprisingly often, that idea that seems so unique to the latest bestseller, turns out to have made a prior appearance in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells, if not some medieval romance or even ancient mythology. In that vein, Ken McLeod has quipped that “History is the trade secret of science fiction”.

Comment

• So glad to hear things are looking up.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        [OT] Do you recall the title of that book? Was it per chance the Crestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones? [/OT]
                        The book is actually Which Witch by Eva Ibbotson (and I was mistaken on the date, it's 1979, not early 80's, so I was off by a couple years). I'm not even sure how it was supposed to have ripped off Harry Potter in the first place, but it was clearly a case of "young reviewer has no clue what they're talking about and doesn't know how to pay attention to publication dates" rather than similar ideas.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

• We wish you well! Thanks for all the good times!

Comment

• I wish you the best Raps and have everything crossed things work out. "Don't hold your breath..." made me think of one of my favorite of my Grandmas sayings "Don't hold your hand on your ass/butt it my grow there" my other favorite is "Don't get a burr up your butt."

Comment

• Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post

If I had the money, I would offer to take over the site. I have the skills, but not the immediate cash. I can only afford maybe a third of that.

I love this site, and have made so many wonderful friends. I hope someone also takes the time to save everything Plaidman posted.

Here's hoping whoever takes over will continue the forums.
                              I also can't afford to take the site over but I can pledge 10 bucks a month to help keep it going. How could we do this?

PS, I don't want to be a mod. I'm crazy, but I'm not insane!

Comment

• Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                                PS, I don't want to be a mod. I'm crazy, but I'm not insane!
                                You don't have to be crazy to be a mod, but it helps.
                                Sometimes life is altered.
                                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                                Uneasy with confrontation.
                                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                                X