Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Game] [OOC] Into the Black (Firefly-verse)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Game] [OOC] Into the Black (Firefly-verse)

Ain't too hard to figure life out. You get a job. You get paid. You keep flyin'. People don't rightly want a lot of complications to their life. They just want to get paid, get a roof over their heads, and to get through the day.

'Course, where it get tricky s'when there's disagreements. You land on the wrong moon, fly past the wrong mountain, look at the wrong guy cross-eyed... maybe you got a difference of opinion. Sometimes it's just a matter of disagreeing over whether you should get paid. Maybe it's a disagreement over whether that girl was married or not. Or maybe you disagree over Unification. (But t'ain't the time now to get into that barrel of cats.) Sometimes certain words get exchanged. Or certain bullets.

Things're gettin' a mite strange as of late. Rumors goin' about on the Cortex, rumors about some bad
    go se the Alliance is up to. Don't rightly see how it affects most folk. Like I said, they don't rightly want a lot of complications.

Nor do you, right? Let's go find ourselves a job.

================================

GM STUFF

This game is set in the Verse of the TV show Firefly, and is set after the Big Damn Movie, Serenity. You, the players, will be the crew of a small ship, roughly the size of the crew's ship from the show. It won't be a Firefly-class ship like the Serenity, because we don't want to copy things too much.

Player-characters can come from just about anywhere they want to come from within the Verse. There's dozens of worlds and moons that folks call home. PCs should work a little bit well together-- they'll have been running together for a few months at least when the game kicks off. (Not to say there can't be differences of opinion, but for the most part, they're a team.)

Limitations-- Psychic powers are very rare, and every single one of them is accounted for by the Alliance, often sent off to "The Academy," a laboratory complex where they're studied, experimented on, and where they try to make the psychics into weapons. Only one psychic ever escaped from The Academy, and that was River Tam. This means you don't get to play a psychic of that caliber. No telepathy, no psychokinetics, no throwing fireballs and so on around. Sorry, folks.

THE SHIP & CREW

Ship Name: Deucalion
    Ship Class: DC-88
    Ship Capabilities: TBA

Captain: Zhānmǔsī "Zhan" Cook (Exile)
    First Mate: Rowan Li (Ellain)
    Pilot: Tucker "Spider" Webb (Chanlin)
    Engineer: Sama Alborne (Sarlon)
    Medic: Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lock (Ghel)
    Public Relations: Mando Alvarez (Jay 2K Winger)
    Hacker: Aiden "Wolf" McCuan (Tyg3rw01f)

CHARACTER BIO

Name:
    Homeworld:
    Possible Crew Roles:

Description:
    (You know the basics here. Age, build, appearance, personality, preferred style of clothing...)

Backstory:
    (What kind of background does your character come from? What were your ambitions or plans growing up? What were they doing before they signed up with the crew? During the Unification War, what were they doing? [Note-- not everyone necessarily fought in it, but everyone has an opinion about it.])

Five Facts:
    (These are other facts about your character that add flavor and color about them, and may supply possible plot hooks.)

SAMPLE BIO

Name: Allan Seabairne
    Homeworld: Dyton
    Possible Crew Roles: n/a

Description:
    A man of middle age (40s-50s) with a full salt-and-pepper beard and close-cropped hair, Seabairne is unassuming in appearance until one looks in his eyes, and sees the razor-sharp mind underneath. He can be equal parts charming and equal parts stoic and cold. He is intelligent but ruthless. He has a tendency to wear a dark trench-coat, often fastened close, and suits slightly out of date from Core World fashion underneath. He also owns a black bowler hat, of course.

Backstory:
    Born on Dyton in the city of Pellinore, Allan Seabairne fell in among the gangs and knew he was wanted to be the guy in charge. So he fought his way up the ranks. He's worn many hats over the years-- the bucket hat of a rank-and-file hood, the flat cap of a thief, the fedora of an underboss-- but the one he wears now is the bowler hat of a kingpin. From his home turf along Pellinore's Whalebone Avenue, there is little in that city-- or on that moon-- that Seabairne doesn't know about, or have a finger in. During the Unification War, Seabairne's syndicate had a tight hold on contraband smuggling off of Greenleaf, most of which was sold to the Independents, since the Alliance had their own legitimate sources.

Five Facts:
    - Seabairne is a fan of the music scene on Paquin, in particular the musical stylings of Johnny Marc.
    - He is known to be banned (with "shoot on sight" orders) from the city of Esparto on Lazarus, for reasons unknown.
    - Conversely, he is well-loved on St. Albans, particularly among the "doxies" of Eldersden.
    - He is known to have fathered a child, whom has been secreted away on Jiangyin somewhere.
    - He is stereoblind, giving him some trouble with depth perception.

MORE GM STUFF

As bios are posted, I may ask further questions, to try to develop a deeper backstory among the crew, and to set up hooks and more possible contacts/side characters to work into the overall story. And this will be more of a story, rather than a game, since we're not going to bother with dice rolls and so on.

Any questions may be put in the thread. The OP will be updated with further info, and once we've got a few crew members down, we can discuss amongst ourselves what the ship will be like and what it will be named, etc.

If you need a good resource for information on the Verse in general, there is a wikia.
    Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

CHARACTER BIO

Name: Sama Alborne
    Homeworld: born and rasied on a freighter
    Possible Crew Roles: Mechanic, Cook

Description: Young, early 20s, tends to be barefoot whenever possible, claims it helps feel when engines are "off". Long black hair in a continual state of messy pile out of face. distant Asian ancestor in cast of the light green eyes. Short too...5 foot even, has the temper to make up for her...ahem...shortcomings.

Backstory:
    Parents were supply runners to the highest bidder during the unification war, though most "runs" tended to be "rerouted" through the brown coats areas. She has rarely set foot on any planet for longer then a few days, and lived most her life aboard her parents freighter. She learned engine repair and maintance through the ships mechanic and was told she has a natural gift. She currently wants to learn about other ships so has been on the look out for a ship needing an experienced mechanic despite her age.

Five Facts:
    Short and hot tempered, but fiercely loyal.
    terrified of using guns, and tends to freeze up when guns start blazing.
    seems to have a natural instinct for whats wrong with an engine, both by sound and feel.
    has been known to patch things with spit and bailing twine....and has pictures to prove it.
    excellent cook, known to make interesting dishes from little more then protein packs.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Name: Tucker "Spider" Webb
      Homeworld: Londinum
      Possible Crew Roles: Pilot, Medic's/Engineer's Assistant

Description:

Early 30's not overly tall, but above average. Lean build that some might describe as wiry. Sandy brown hair, kept neat and cut close. Blue eyes. Black combat boots, dark green pants,
      usually seen wearing a brown or red t-shirt bearing the Blue Sun logo. Tends to be hard nosed, very disciplined lifestyle, but laid back when it's just the crew and they aren't on a job.

Backstory:
      Comes from a long line of proud Alliance Navy Men. His father, his father before him, and so on were proud warship pilots that served with honor and distinction and Tucker grew up hearing about it every day. It was no surprise that he grew up to become a navy pilot then. It just so happens he had the unfortunate distincton of graduating from the training academy right before the start of the Unification War. Tucker was present for two of the three famous battles in the war, namely the Batle of Sturges and the Battle of Du-Khang. He received a retroactive dishonorable discharge from the Navy after he deserted following an incident in which a superior officer ordered him to open fire on an unarmed civilian freighter that was believed to be carrying enemy troops. His father has since disowned him.

Tucker ran as far as he could and took whatever work he could to keep himself clothed, fed, and with a semi-decent place to sleep. This is how he eventually ended up with the current crew.

Five Facts:
      - Has nightmares about firing on the civilian freighter.
      - Is a wanted deserter from the Alliance Navy (a fact he tries to keep hidden)
      - Has Alliance Military Training (basic field medicine, trained pilot of light ships and interceptor craft, has enough mechanical training to fix minor problems)
      - Second in his class at the Academy, earned recognition and awards as an expert light craft pilot. Though his name is now used as a warning to new recruits.
      - Youngest of 5 children - Siblings all served in various military roles (Medic, Grunt, Engineer and SAS)
      Last edited by Chanlin; 09-30-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Both Sama and Spider look good. That's Pilot and Engineer set.

Questions for Sama:
        - What was the freighter's name? What was its home port? (Most freighters have a home port where they make berth.)
        - What are her parents' names?

Questions for Spider:
        - What was the officer's name that ordered him to fire on the civilian freighter?
        - What was the civilian freighter's name? How many souls on board when it was shot down?
        - What is his father's name?
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Father: Francis Webb

Officer that gave the order: Irwin Strauss

Civilian Ship: Santo Star
          Number Dead: 23. 6 crew and 17 Civilian Passengers. None of them were Brown Coats.

Comment

Father: Thomas (born and raised mostly on Paquin)

Mother: Deceased (died natural causes 1 year ago) Amira (born on Bellerophon, disowned by family for marrying a "vagabond")

Siblings : 2 sisters (both older, both registered companions) Shalandra 40, Mina 35; 3 brothers Peter 32 (fought as brown coat), Eric 20 (deceased, fought for the alliance), Harry 15.

Ship : An Alst style ship similar to the cantankerous profiled in six shooters and space ships page 52

Name of ship : Charis

Ships "home port": Beaumonde
            Last edited by Sarlon; 09-30-2013, 09:16 PM.
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Cool

I like the concept Exile. Since the crew starts together I figure we ought to decide if Cook and Webb know each other or had crossed paths before this. Cook is in a position to be more famous I think.

I'm good with either way. The Alliance is fairly large.

Comment

oh this crew will be interesting...

2 military stiffs, with a free spirit with a temper.....

Comment

I like what I see in Sam Cook. Although perhaps a different first name, because otherwise we'll undoubtedly get into some confusion between Sam (the captain) and Sama (the engineer)...

Also, and this goes out to everyone-- the climactic transmission in the Big Damn Movie would not be from the Serenity, it would have come from Mr. Universe's planet, but by and large the public would probably refer to it as "The Miranda Broadcast."

Questions for Captain Cook:
                  - What was the name of Cook's first posting? (i.e. what ship was he first an officer on)
                  - What was the name of Cook's first command? (i.e. what ship was he first CO of)
                  - What is the make/model of Cook's laser pistol? (e.g. Rance Burgess' was a Silk trigger-active return-bolt laser pistol, Durran Haymer owned the Lassiter) How does Cook manage to acquire/purchase high-density batteries to power it?

Comment

I hope you will all bear with me. I really want to be part of this, but I've only watched a few episodes of Firefly. I haven't watched Serenity, either, though I intend to remedy that tomorrow. (I have read enough spoilers to get the gist of it.)

Name: Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lock
                    Homeworld: Londonium
                    Possible Crew Role: Medic
                    Description: early 30s, 5'8", lithe, agile, ginger hair, hazel eyes, practical but close-fitting clothing (usually gray or tan with a splash of color)

Backstory: Lizzie discovered her sensuality at an early age, and it has motivated all her decisions in life. She chose to study medicine primarily to learn human anatomy - to improve her pleasure and the pleasure of her partners. (Note: Lizzie is not a companion, has never had any companion training) She is unabashedly hedonistic, wanting to make sure that everyone around her enjoys themselves as much as possible without harming themselves or others. Lizzie put herself through medical school by dancing at an upscale club near the school. She excelled in school and was accused of sleeping with her teachers to get her grades. But she retook any test she was asked to and proved that she knew her stuff. After graduating, she hopped from job to job, being let go from each one because of her behavior. She's no-nonsense when lives are in the balance, but she just couldn't help making passes at fellow staff and sometimes even patients. Working aboard the ship may be a "last chance" type job for her. She's trying to be on her best behavior, but given her past, it probably won't be long before she's propositioning crew members.

Five facts:
                    -Middle child, older brother (Andrew) died in the Unification War, younger brother (Nathaniel) is an accountant (he cites her "addiction" as the reason they don't talk), parents (Rebecca and Dale) died of natural causes
                    -She took some martial arts training (initially for the exercise), but her firearms training is limited to "point and squeeze."
                    -Is allergic to chocolate (there is chocolate in the Firefly-verse, right?). It gives her migraines.
                    -Avoids having more than one alcoholic drink in a 24-hour period, saying she "wants to remember."
                    -Reads every book she can get her hands on, no matter the subject or other people's opinion of it. Will beg, borrow, and steal to get books she hasn't read before.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

question for the story teller...

you say we'll be starting off already knowing each other...so where were we all when the "transmission" hit? did we know each other at that point?

exile....really you went with cook....cause that sounds *nothing* like the concept you told me >.>

Comment

I would imagine Chocolate is a rare commodity like fresh fruit.

Comment

Yeah, I can imagine chocolate being seen as a rare delicacy, with people raving over it, and Lizzie getting left out because the couple of times she's tried it, she's gotten terrible migraines. That would totally suck.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Exile
                            How's Zhānmǔsī? Or "Zhan" for short. I think it lends an air of how the cultures mixed in the arcs to form the Anglo-Sino Alliance, reflecting that one can end up with clearly oriental elements to a person's name despite being clearly caucasian.
                            I think that's a good name, and it makes me think of Simon & River Tam. Given names that sound more Western, but a surname that sounds more Eastern. Zhānmǔsī "Zhan" Cook it is.

Quoth Exile
                            - I'll have to get back to you with more detail.
                            You don't have to think on it too hard. There may not be much information on other laser pistol makes/models in the source material (either the show or the RPG books), so feel free to fabricate one.

Quoth Ghel View Post
                            Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lock
                            Nice, I think we have our medic.

Questions for Lizzie Lock:
                            - Presuming that Lizzie's brother fought for the Alliance in the war, but regardless, what planet/battle did he die on/in? And please, don't make it one of the "known" battles listed in the source material. Let's try to diversify and come up with new "canon" stuff for our story.
                            - What firm/company does Nathaniel work for?
                            - Tell us the story of Lizzie's last great bender. The one that prompted her to limit herself to one drink and that perhaps she's most embarrassed about.

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                            question for the story teller...

you say we'll be starting off already knowing each other...so where were we all when the "transmission" hit? did we know each other at that point?
                            Our story will begin about three months after the Miranda Broadcast. The crew will have been working together at least three months prior to that.

Now that we have the majority of the crew (at least one more crew member), let's start figuring that out. Feel free to discuss it here in the thread, in PMs with each other, whatever, but let's start putting the pieces together.

Thus you'll now need to figure out what kind of ship you're all crew on, what it's called, and perhaps just some brief blurbs about how the crew came together. It could be a case of one crew member brought another one on board (a sort of "I know a guy who needs the job") or someone answered a Cortex ad, or whatever.

Can I also just say that I like that we seem to have gotten a bunch of Core-worlders on the crew, ones who happen to know the Alliance is not nearly as "evil" as the series made them out to be. Joss Whedon did say in interviews that the Alliance only comes across as the villains in the show because it's being told more or less from Mal's point of view (and he's not exactly unbiased) and was set more in the Border and Rim planets. He's said if the story had been from the POV of someone from a Core world, it might have focused more on all the good the Alliance genuinely does for folks, and the Browncoats might not have seemed so sympathetic.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Can I also just say that I like that we seem to have gotten a bunch of Core-worlders on the crew, ones who happen to know the Alliance is not nearly as "evil" as the series made them out to be.
                              This is actually the main reason I decided to be a Core Worlder and former Navy. Figured it would be an interesting side of the story to explore.

I think the important decisions as far as a ship are concerned are this:

1: Weapons: Do we want them
                              2: How many passengers do we want to carry
                              3: How cramped/spacious do we want it

I'm using some of the Serenity RPG source books for this, but if I had to choose I would say we go with an ALST or a Cargo Lifter.

The ALST is slightly larger with more room for crew and passengers which means it also costs slightly more to maintain.

The Cargo Lifter is an extremely common ship according to the books and is far more easy/common to modify for various uses.

Both ships are fairly reliable and low maintenance cost.

Ship Names are always fun, but I think that one should be up to the Captain. It's his ship after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X