This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might want to consider remedial arithmetic, lady

I was on the express lane earlier this week. Now, not everybody comes through with exactly 12 items or less, and it's not usually a big deal. I even welcome people with full carts ... IF the day is going very slowly and there's nobody else in line. Also, most people are somewhat apologetic about having more than

However, I got one of THOSE the other day. Probably close to 30 items at least (very clearly more than 12) and she just marched up and started unloading. Nothing said, no "Sorry, is it okay if I use this line?" And of course there were people behind her.

So I started ringing her out. And of course she had no bags either. And of course she didn't bother to help me pack all her crap.

Usually I try to pack with some care. Not this time. Everything that would fit just went into the "current" bag, and then I moved on to the next one. Took her money, handed her her change, and turned to the next customer. With a large smile and a "Hi, how are you today?"

Fuck you, you innumerate bitch.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I have several times politely pointed out the “X items or less” sign to people, who have always gone off—to my surprise, without yelling at me. Each time, the clerk has thanked me, “because I’m not allowed to say anything.”

Well, except for the time I called out the gut with a cartfull of sodas. Fortunately, he thought I was joking. He was a store employee stocking the implulse-buy fridge next to the till.

Comment

I thought I might mention addition problems in the movies.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Of course I have a song for the express checkout... "The Shopping Cart Of Love"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

They don't care, they're entitled to express because they're SOOOO speshul. A few weeks ago, I was in a grocery store, in the express with five items in my cart. The woman in front of me was apparently holding a place in line. I wouldn't have been too annoyed by that, but the person she waved in HAD A FULL CART!!! I did comment to Princess Full Cart that apparently no one else needed to get out of the store any time that day, as I was leaving empty-handed. Just couldn't cope that day.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            They don't care, they're entitled to express because they're SOOOO speshul.
            Exactly, that restriction does not apply to them.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The only way this is ever going to stop is if every customer who is stuck at an express line behind someone with more than the requisite number of items complains to the manager. Eventually the sheer number of complaints will make corporate have to choose; annoy the customer breaking the rules by making them leave the line, or annoy the many more customers keeping to the rules?
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                The only way this is ever going to stop is if every customer who is stuck at an express line behind someone with more than the requisite number of items complains to the manager. Eventually the sheer number of complaints will make corporate have to choose; annoy the customer breaking the rules by making them leave the line, or annoy the many more customers keeping to the rules?
                When the *major grocery store* location I currently work for had 3 express lanes, we could not turn away anyone because customers would complain to Corporate Headquarters about that. Corporate Headquarters then would tell front-end management that the express lane cashiers had to take any customer no matter how full their cart was.

But last year all 3 express lanes were taken out and more self checkout lanes were installed.

Comment

They solved this at my local giant grocery store by just removing the express lines. Well, technically the SCOs are 15 items or less but they try to get people with even more items to go there when the regular lines are backed up. You know, instead of opening another register.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    They solved this at my local giant grocery store by just removing the express lines. Well, technically the SCOs are 15 items or less but they try to get people with even more items to go there when the regular lines are backed up. You know, instead of opening another register.
                    The SCO clerks have to "pull" small orders from the regular lanes when they are full or when the front-end is short handed.

Whomever is in charge of the front end or one of the front end supervisors announces over the store intercom "All self check out clerks please pull small orders".

So when that happens, there are no self checkout out clerks actually manning self checkout since the clerks are walking up to customers waiting in line at the regular lanes and asking them if they want to use self checkout.

Why would management think this a good idea?
                    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-22-2020, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                      clip

Why would management think this a good idea?
                      Fixed it for you.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's not just small orders at my location. I've been there in the morning when only one regular lane is open. The store opens at 7 AM and I'm there at maybe 7:30 ish. This is a super store or whatever it's called. The kind with full clothing, furniture, garden, bedding and bath, etc. One lane. It's annoying since I prefer to shop early to avoid the crazy shoppers, but it doesn't matter in the end, there's no good time to shop.

I don't mind using SCO sometimes, but when I'm forced to because this giant store only schedules one opening cashier I get a little cranky. What can I do? Nothing, so I just stand there in line and politely tell the SCO person trying to get me to move over "no thanks." Oh, there's big tv screens on the wall and sometimes the clerks seem like they want to call for another cashier but they aren't supposed to because of whatever the screens say? I don't understand the system.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          It's not just small orders at my location. I've been there in the morning when only one regular lane is open. The store opens at 7 AM and I'm there at maybe 7:30 ish. This is a super store or whatever it's called. The kind with full clothing, furniture, garden, bedding and bath, etc. One lane. It's annoying since I prefer to shop early to avoid the crazy shoppers, but it doesn't matter in the end, there's no good time to shop.

I don't mind using SCO sometimes, but when I'm forced to because this giant store only schedules one opening cashier I get a little cranky. What can I do? Nothing, so I just stand there in line and politely tell the SCO person trying to get me to move over "no thanks." Oh, there's big tv screens on the wall and sometimes the clerks seem like they want to call for another cashier but they aren't supposed to because of whatever the screens say? I don't understand the system.
                          My take on this -- and it IS just my 2 Knuts -- is that corporations everywhere are aware that a lot of people don't like the SCs ... but corporate does. No sick callouts, no vacations, no gripes ....

So they open ONE "manned" register, to show willing (ha) but at the same time to make it as inconvenient as possible, in the hopes of to some degree forcing people to use the SC ... because do you want to stand in line for the cashier, or pay for your stuff and be on your way?

I've seen a major drugstore chain here in Windsor do exactly that: ONE register with a live human being at it, and 8 to 10 people lined up. And of course the SCs are right there ... most of them standing unused.

My store keeps track of the amount of use the SCs get and the overall attitude is "Let's get those numbers up!"
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                            My take on this -- and it IS just my 2 Knuts -- is that corporations everywhere are aware that a lot of people don't like the SCs ... but corporate does. No sick callouts, no vacations, no gripes ....

So they open ONE "manned" register, to show willing (ha) but at the same time to make it as inconvenient as possible, in the hopes of to some degree forcing people to use the SC ... because do you want to stand in line for the cashier, or pay for your stuff and be on your way?

I've seen a major drugstore chain here in Windsor do exactly that: ONE register with a live human being at it, and 8 to 10 people lined up. And of course the SCs are right there ... most of them standing unused.

My store keeps track of the amount of use the SCs get and the overall attitude is "Let's get those numbers up!"
                            So Corporate wants to control the outcome.

But you know what happens when you try to control the outcome.

It does not always go your way, but the way it is supposed to go.

Plus, you cannot control what your customers want to do.

Comment

They seem to be going a bit better over here in the UK. The hybrids for large trolley-loads with the conveyor belts seem to struggle more and often stand empty, but the little ones that you can only fit one basket on seem to do OK.

I admit, when I pop into the supermarket before work, I tend to head towards the self-scans purely because I'm still only running on one cup of tea and I don't want to have to be polite to a checkout operator. If I go later on in the day, though, I'll only go to self-scan if the queues at the manned checkouts are too long. Self-scans seem to have taken over from the express lanes over here, since I rarely see them any more.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                              X