Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm told that letting a new cat hide like that is not a great idea -- they may decide "I live here now".

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
      I'm told that letting a new cat hide like that is not a great idea -- they may decide "I live here now".
      At the same time, trying to oust a nervous cat from somewhere they've gone to feel safe will not only make them more nervous, it will make them distrust you as you are the one who dragged them out of their safe place.

Better to just make yourself generally trustworthy and the provider of food. Having another, more confident cat helps as they will definitely be watching you, and seeing you interact well with the other cat will give them the confidence to make a cautious approach to you (such as Eireann's cat reaching out a paw and making eye contact, rather than backing up as far as possible).

If a nervous animal has somewhere that feels safe to them, so long as they're not endangering themselves/anyone else, it's better to let them have that place so that they can retreat to it when they're feeling over-stressed. It works for humans, too; me and my sister have an agreement that if one of us retreats to our bedroom and closes the door, leave that person be as they're trying to cool down and get on a more even mental keel.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
        Any ideas on what to name the girl?
        I know you said you’ve already gotten a name for her, but I had to pipe in.

My original thought was Elvira, but after seeing her picture and hearing you describe her actions, I lean more towards Morticia.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

This morning, I gave her some pets, and she was very enthusiastic. She did that little routine where Kitty rubs against you, rubs against the floor/mattress/chair/whatever is underneath, rolls around, gets back up, and starts the whole thing again. I managed to pick her up and hold her.

I intended to sit on the bed with her and Tripod - but then, as these things go, the phone rang. I put her on the bed, and she promptly disappeared under it.

When I came home this evening, I was sitting on the bed when, lo and behold, I saw her walking INTO the bedroom! She left her hiding place and the room! About ten minutes later, I heard a sound that puzzled me at first, and then I realized what it was. She was drinking from the water dish.

Slowly but surely, things are improving. I'm very fortunate that those two are just fine with each other. No yowling, no hissing, no spitting, no growling. They don't seem to have much of a bond, but that will probably come with time.

Comment

Very adorable kitties! Good on the one coming out of her shell a bit, could take a little while longer but hopefully everything will be alright soon.

I have had cats almost my entire life, at least until about five years ago when my stray turned inside cat crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Girl came out this morning and joined us on the bed. Boy looked at her in surprise, but didn't do anything. She came over and got lots of pets, butting against my hand and purring. She also came out when I was doing yoga, giving squeaky meows. Boy likes to disrupt yoga by curling up right behind me.

Comment

So cute!

Sounds like they're settling in fine.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

They've been chasing each other around this morning, so it looks like they're bonding, too.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    I know you said you’ve already gotten a name for her, but I had to pipe in.

My original thought was Elvira, but after seeing her picture and hearing you describe her actions, I lean more towards Morticia.
                    Elvira is my black female cats name. My male black cats name is Whiskey.

Comment

Working...
                    X