This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer keeps crashing

In February, I finally had to say goodbye to my old computer (almost 13 years old), and buy a used computer with various updated parts. The new-used computer is a Lenovo ThinkCentre.

The guy installed Windows 10, along with Avast!, and Word 2007. I don't know what the problem is, but the fucker keeps crashing. I'll be going along, doing one thing or another, and suddenly I get the Blue Screen of Death.

It just happened for the second time today, third time this week (at least). I started writing down the error messages, and here are the last three:

Kernel Mode Heap Corruption
    System Thread Exception not Handled
    Faulty Hardware Corrupted Page

What the hell do I do to keep it from crashing?

See if you can get a motherboard firmware update. What video card is in it?

Comment

The first and last may be RAM/memory issues. Not sure about the second one. Do you have other RAM sticks to try? Also, check and re-seat them (with the system unplugged, of course). Could also simply be overheating.

Also: Do these from Safe Mode, no networking

- Scan hard drive(s) for errors (can take a loooooong time)
      - Run full AV/spyware scans
      - Run ADWCleaner to nuke stuff they can't help with
      - Run this from the Command Prompt -- it checks for damaged system files and replaces them with good ones

sfc /scannow
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I took it to the place where I bought it for them to take a look. The warranty is for 6 months. And then I found out that this warranty is for parts only. The guy was good enough to charge me half the price he originally asked, due to the misunderstanding.

I took it in two days ago. I got it back yesterday. The guy told me he'd been running it for 24 hours, with no crashing.

It just crashed about ten minutes ago.

System Service Exception.

Comment

Unfortunately, that's one of the more generic errors.

Try this, on top of what I mentioned: https://windowsreport.com/system-ser...on-windows-10/
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X