This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I play them, will they explode ...

Anybody know if this brutally cold weather can damage DVDs and CDs?

Asking for the dozens sitting in my car and in my non-climate-controlled storage units ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

They should be fine. However, they may be brittle and prone to shattering if handled roughly. leave them in a room temperature area to warm up. Don't apply extra heat.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Okay, thanks.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

The discs will be fine. The more likely problem you might encounter is condensation inside the disc player, especially if you're putting frozen discs into a warm player. This could cause anything from skipping to short-circuit, so consider warming them up a bit beforehand, even if it's just holding them under your jacket for a minute or two.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Well thermal shock with these extremes is a thing, but that's easily remedied by just setting them someplace dry at room temperature for a couple of hours.

The only other concern would be burned disks as the data stored on them is done in a different manner than professional ones. The burned ones use a gel ink that crystallizes when hit with the burning laser. Those are more vulnerable to extreme temperatures then the professional ones so you'll have to test them out.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
          X