This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowpocalypse 2019

[Where's Irv? He usually posts this.] So my car battery is bad and though it has somewhat a charge, it won't start my car. Consulted two mechanic friends who don't think it's the starter or gas line or anything like that. So I can't move my car for the plow. I am going to go out and clear some of the snow off in the middle of the storm to at least give myself some kind of advantage, as my friend is going to come over later and help me change the battery. If not I'll just leave it until the weekend. I took today off and I think I might take the bus a few days if need be. On Wed. it will be really cold so maybe a cab. That's all if the battery doesn't solve the problem.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    [Where's Irv? He usually posts this.] So my car battery is bad and though it has somewhat a charge, it won't start my car. Consulted two mechanic friends who don't think it's the starter or gas line or anything like that. So I can't move my car for the plow. I am going to go out and clear some of the snow off in the middle of the storm to at least give myself some kind of advantage, as my friend is going to come over later and help me change the battery. If not I'll just leave it until the weekend. I took today off and I think I might take the bus a few days if need be. On Wed. it will be really cold so maybe a cab. That's all if the battery doesn't solve the problem.
    It may solve your problem, but you should probably also get your alternator checked, too.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      [Where's Irv?
      Having a snow day. Plant's closed. Abominable showman out front should have told you.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Watch out for bumbles, you guys!

Comment

Well, the bulk of the snowing has passed my town and now the wind is going to kick it up everywhere. There is only a small mound of snow at the end of my car where I would back out. I was able to kick most of that over with my boots so I know I could drive over it. It's not as bad as that storm last April when the snow was much wetter and heavier.

Comment

Kids are off school tomorrow because it could show anywhere from 1-3 inches 😄

This is the deep South though, apparently this city doesn't even own one salt truck.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Some of the schools might be out for days because of the wind chill.

Comment

That's what happened here with the last storm. They don't know exactly what we're getting yet; rain, snow, snow turning to sleet/rain, no idea.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The forecast for Wednesday night is -35F here in central MN. That is not the windchill, but the actual temp.

I so wish I were in a warmer place during this.
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

The forecast for Wednesday night is -35F here in central MN.

Dude, and I thought our single digits were nasty. We get the occasional subzero temp here, but usually not that cold. Although sometimes the wind chills are almost that bad. Still....take care!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I sure as anything don't miss the very cold weather, it might do to 28° once in a while bit warms right back up. Just be careful out there.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Anybody remember the coldest American football games ever played?

The "Ice Bowl"

Air temperature: -15ºF, with a wind chill of -36ºF.

The "Freezer Bowl"

Air temperature: -9ºF, with a wind chill of -37ºF

And they played games in those conditions. Outside. And people showed up to watch. For three or more hours.

Comment

We've reached the high for the day -11F. By the time I'm done with work at 7 tonight, it will be -27F.

I also checked, and the polar vortex is even hitting Key West. It's going to be a frigid 68F today there.
                          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                            The forecast for Wednesday night is -35F...
                            A few degrees colder, and you won't have to specify the scale! Because -40 is the same in both.

Though all of the above qualify as WAY TO F***ING COLD...
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I saw -41C on the SUV thermometer the other morning before wind.

The one at the house just said "Stay in. It's too f'n cold!"

It was a 2 hour process to get out the door to get some needed groceries:
                              1) Start fire in wood stove in garage. This is to warm up the generator. (off-grid here and the sun wasn't out yet)
                              2) Hour later, when it's thawed, start generator to run block heater and battery charger on SUV
                              3) Hour later, turn key and pray
                              4) 20 minutes later, when the inside of the SUV is almost habitable, start driving. Slowly as it's not all working as it should....

Fun times! LOL
                              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X