The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Kristev View Post
    Trust me, if you find that you have it, you immediately realize that you don't want it. I should know.
    I hope that you don't have a strong case and recover well. Good luck!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• So due to very low community transmission rates in my part of the land down under, my work is now no longer doing temp checks in the morning! WE are still on alert though, in part due to one of the other states having to go into lockdown. (It's to the point where instead of our admissions staff asking if people have been overseas or in contact with a confirmed case, they're now asking if they've been to <state> recently)

On the flipside though, I underestimated how quick the turnaround was for a COVID test in my parts.
      Woke up Tuesday with hayfever-like symptoms, powered on through the day with antihistamines, but by the end of the day, I was absolutely exhausted and it was getting worse. Figured I'd err on the side of caution, so I took the following day off, spoke to my GP and she recommended I get tested to be on the safe side. Find nearest clinic for testing (yon local hospital), as soon as I mention I work in a hospital (and after naming it five times), they tell me that my test will be prioritised (I did clarify on multiple occasions that I am not a clinician). Nose swab was unpleasant, but the blood draw was worse (serology check) - normally I'm not a hard stick, but she had to do both arms
      I get told that my test results will take around 24 hours, which was consistent with my boss and coworkers turnaround times (both went to the clinic up the road from work on separate occasions) and they'll send me a SMS with the results.

I get sent home with mask and follow the instructions like a good girl to isolate the best I can.
      I got my test results about 8 hours later, then a follow up message another 12 hours after that . Both boss and CW got theirs after 24 hours.

Yes, they were negative thankfully. I celebrated by visiting my GP clinic to pick up my sick certificate
      Last edited by LadyofArc; 06-30-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• That's such a strange idea, the checking of my temperature. I think it's been at least 7 or 8 years since I had a fever and I usually run around 96˚. If I do have Covid, it's the non-fever kind, I guess. Eric got his result the next day, I think? Still waiting on mine but they did say 3 to 4 days. I don't have to be anywhere until Friday night so meh.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 07-01-2020, 02:25 AM.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I just got the call: I don't have Covid. So now I need to get my heart checked. I was looking up breathing difficulty with thoracic spasms and something called arterial spasm came up which my symptoms match. A panic attack can induce it and it can cause a heart attack. You don't have to have clogged arteries for it to happen; it's a muscle thing.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Back from my Northwest Angle fishing trip, and it was amazing.

Yeah, it cost about $400 more, because of the boat ride back and forth from the south shore of the lake, to avoid going going across the closed border into Canada to get back to the US, but worth every penny.

Though, our boat ride, both ways did cross into Canada both ways, but that was allowed, due to safe passage laws governing the lake - it was the safest way to go.

Oh, I should quickly mention the fishing - we got our walleye limit in about 2 and a half hours - probably the fastest we ever got it. That's even with a huge problem with the boat depth finder.

So, in spite of issue at hand, we overcame the hurdles, and made ourselves an amazing time.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Still no word when my team will be called back; the managers are doing all the stocking and aren't too thrilled. I did challenge HR Guy a bit and got a non-answer about "well, we're reopening the restaurants and need to see how sales are going before we call people blah blah"...my team is only three people! The week before he was telling me how they need us back because the department is a wreck. Friends in other departments are complaining about expired products (one of them is horrified that I'm not back working yet).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Welp, chaos at work has hit again.
                Due to a neighbouring state being hit with a breakout (the cause was one of the guards who'd been assigned to watch over the people in quarantine breaking infection control rules and not on compassionate grounds either), we've had to cancel a bunch of cases coming in from said state. This has pissed a bunch of folks off and we're all in a state of mild panic as a result (our case numbers in my state are low and are all people coming back home).

I did however, get one small bit of vindication today.
                Due to the aforementioned outbreak, around a dozen apartment blocks got stuck in hard lockdown (essentially like hotel quarantine, as opposed to "soft" lockdown where people can still leave their homes for certain reasons). Local media personality decided that they couldn't keep their mouth shut and proceeded to bad-mouth the residents who were stuck in those apartment blocks during their stint on a morning talk show. Guess who's now out of a job?

Comment

• Damnit!

I was hoping to make it till the end of September, and close down the restaurant after our lease is up, in peace.

That peace was shattered today by the city health inspector.

I was ordered by her to either wear a mask at work (I tried that, and almost passed out), or a face shield.

I just can't win. I've got a face shield on order, and will be putting political messages on it. Obviously I won't say here what they will be, but I'm sure you all can guess the nature of them based on what I've written in this post.
                  Not a good day at all today.
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Supposedly this month for reals this time, I am supposed to be setup to work from home. I've only been home since the middle of March. Oy why does it take so long?
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• VS - If you just happen to snap a pic of the finished faceshield, our CS group on FaceBook (it's literally just called "CS" if you've not been there) is a good bit more lenient about such things. Michael G.H. is the admin there, so it's his call; drop him a line.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Okay so the Grocery Store has been able to keep toilet paper in stock for longer than five minutes after it gets to the shelves, I guess everyone has their twenty year stock piles so I don't think there will be many sales of it any time soon. But quite a few things we've been getting less and less of because of one reason or another, either because of shortages or because no one is buying them.

On another note, I've got plans for some of my canned goods I have -- good recipes I've found.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                          Okay so the Grocery Store has been able to keep toilet paper in stock for longer than five minutes after it gets to the shelves, I guess everyone has their twenty year stock piles so I don't think there will be many sales of it any time soon. But quite a few things we've been getting less and less of because of one reason or another, either because of shortages or because no one is buying them.

On another note, I've got plans for some of my canned goods I have -- good recipes I've found.
                          We've had no problems with TP since that first crazed rush. But yeah, it's odd the things that have been "out" since then. For a while there it was flour and yeast. Now it just seems to be really odd things like some types of pop and whatnot.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• So NOW upper management has decided that the belts must be wiped down between each customer.

Oh joy.

Front-end supervisor was yelled at yesterday for the delay it caused.

One FES -- who was traffic controller for a few hours -- was warning people not to start unloading their groceries until the cashier had wiped down the belt (and she was bemoaning the number of people who went "Uh-huh, uh-huh" and then gotten to the register and started unloading right away ...)

Then a supervisor who took over apparently wasn't, so I had to keep calling to customers to please not start unloading yet. They were very good about it. Finally I went to the supervisor and asked if she was telling them about this. She looked ... sceptical, I guess, is the best word. I said that as of earlier this week we'd been warned to clean the belts between customers.

"Waste of time, if you ask me," was her response.

Well, you're probably right, but YOU go to head office and tell them that. In the meantime, please warn the customers.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Whelp, a coworker was exposed to someone who has tested positive so now he's getting tested... Of all my coworkers I work with him a lot so let's hope it's negative. I mean, I hope it is for his sake because he's immunocompromised. He's one who's been wearing a mask for months now, but it's not a perfect thing. Also, our work had gotten the COVID pay (PPP) but it's run out now. I keep seeing on the news that they think the economy is picking up faster than expected but I don't see it here. We'll see.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Went to the grocery store today and greeted with signs on all registers - cards only.

I've stopped carrying cards, because I spend a lot less with cash, than with cards. Plus I am a debt is dumb kind of guy, and working on getting out of what I have, which is all business debt.

Turned around and walked out. I might have to do some grocery shopping on my beer run this Sunday to Iowa, and get stuff there, and drive it the 3 hours home.

Comment

Working...
                                X