This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairy Tales = occultism

apparently...so I was told at great length by a woman who refused to buy her little girl (about 6 or 7 agewise) a book that had a little cartoon fairy on the front. Oh, and the same goes for Dr.Who, Harry Potter, Sci-fi, and anything in which animals speak. So...I'm guessing her kids don't get to see much Disney

Once she'd spent 10 full minutes lecturing me on the evils of fairy tales, she launched into a spiel about how anything listed as fiction was in fact fostering a child's imagination and that was also akin to occultism and therefore should be banned. The she looked at the face of her upset little girl and said
    "She still thinks there's a santa too! Who knows why because I refuse to let her live in a fantasy land! There's NO SANTA and you don't get presents at Christmas time! Christmas is for church."

Ok, I can understand people wanting to make Christmas about worship again, but I felt so sorry for that poor kid, she just wanted to read a fairy tale and have a little fun! I don't understand some people.

Hmm....and here I was thinking Carrie White's mom ended up getting killed by her own daughter toward the end of that book.

That woman is going to be really suprised when her daughter gets hooked on drugs, knocked up, and runs off at 15. Sad.

Comment

Wow, this mother would put Ned Flanders to shame. Even he let his kids buy a box of candy with a cartoon devil on the box.

But seriously, I feel sorry for that little girl too. And sadly, I have to agree with RK's prediction as well. Being too strict can have just as disastrous an outcome as being too permissive.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

So, did she tell you what is wrong with imagination in a child?
        I thought of Eustace in Voyage of the Dawntreader, "all his books were full of pictures of grainelevators".

Comment

Living up to my name...

"...fostering a child's imagination..."

Seems to me that a long time ago a whole lot of people's imaginations were fostered in order for the Bible to be written. Talk about fairy tales...

Oops. Dang those Atheist voices in my head!

Seriously, if you feel as though SNOW WHITE has the power to undermine your religion, it must not be much of a religion to begin with.
          If your convictions are solid, you should have no worries.
          ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

That poor girl.

Kids should be allowed to believe in fairy tales and Santa Claus.

So is she not allowed to read any fiction books and watch tv or movies. What a sad life.

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
              "...fostering a child's imagination..."

Seems to me that a long time ago a whole lot of people's imaginations were fostered in order for the Bible to be written. Talk about fairy tales...
              Um...is mocking people's religious beliefs really necessary or relevant, not to mention respectful? I find that just a bit offensive.

Back on topic...It's sad that people can be so close-minded that they wouldn't let their kid watch a fairy tale or get Christmas presents. And, while Christmas is vastly over-commercialized, I had always thought that the gift-giving had religious/symbolic significance, representing the gifts baby Jesus was given. That and the fact that, hey, you want to get stuff for people you care about because getting stuff is fun and it's one way of showing them that you care. Not the *only* way, or the *best* way, but gifts are an expression of love and friendship.
              Last edited by Kelly Lynne; 11-01-2006, 01:54 PM. Reason: Nitpicking over my punctuation

Comment

Oops again...

Kelly Lynne, I wasn't mocking. Just presenting my own humble opinion.
                Free speech and all...
                I feel the same about all religions, so it's not like I'm trying to offend anyone in particular much less trying to offend anyone at all.

So, if you were insulted, I do apologize.
                It was not my intention.
                I just have little tolerance for those who make others suffer (their children, for example) all in the name of religion/God/He Who Walks Behind The Rows, etc.
                ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Poor thing. Sad thing is she's probably going to end up juuuust like her mommy.

Comment

A quick bash round the head with the Collected Edition of the Narnia stories would seem to be in order for that demented woman. You know, Narnia? With witches, and fauns, and talking animals, and ghosts, and pagan gods, and dragons and magic....and written by one of the greatest Christian theologians of the 20th century?

Personally I think forbidding a child to use their imagination is both idiotic and cruel, not to mention a waste of time. Fortunately i have never met anyone that stupid and small-minded.
                    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                    - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
                      I just have little tolerance for those who make others suffer (their children, for example) all in the name of religion/God/He Who Walks Behind The Rows, etc.
                      Me too. That poor kid. I'm guessing "storytime" consists of an explanation of the daily news

I bet I would have had fun if her mom had been in my line...me being a Pagan werewolf who writes *gasp* fanfiction!

I agree completely, Barefootgirl. Let kids use their imagination when they have it...the real world is scary enough and there's no good reason to rush that.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

If she don't give christmasgifts because it has to do with church she can't be christian, can she? She probably IS an atheist. Not that you have to be christian to celebrate Yule, I know muslim parents who give gifts at christmas (and at Eid, lucky kids).

Comment

That story makes me sad. I don't think I've ever met anyone that horrible to their child... I agree that we all need a little bit of magic and fantasy in our lives...
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I wonder- maybe she was part of some Jehovah's Witnesses?Not that I think they are 'bad' people or anything, but I know they are very strict. I knew a boy in grade school whose parents were Jehovah's Witnesses. He was never allowed to participate in holidays or celebrate birthdays. I distinctly remember him being the only child not in costume on Halloween, and he always had to leave the classroom when we had holiday/birthday parties. The only concession his parents ever made to him that I can recall was one year they allowed him to watch(not be in) the Halloween parade- and well, the ENTIRE school participated in that so I'm guessing they didn't have a choice since, literally, everyone was outside.
                            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

That's pathetic, my next door neighbor is a very religious person and she actually reccomended the Harry Potter books, Narnia, Lord of the Rings and the like to me, she loves those books too. That poor girl hopefully will read the books on her own when she starts entering those rebellious years hopefully.
                              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Working...
                              X